Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Coffee

DSC00484_zps7b03d5a2.jpg

It took me a while to get here. I have always drank my coffee with sugar and milk, then about a year ago dropped the sugar. Since three months, I've been drinking them black without sugar.

Yup, same progression. Once you get to pure black, very difficult to go back.

Anyone here know of some really good local coffee beans?

My aunt back in the day would "extract" coffee from beans which she got from the local coffee shop in a large pot (like those used to cook pasta) of boiling water, with the beans being put in a sieve of some sort on top of the pot. I remember it being really good - well, could be the "yau char kwai" we had with the coffee.

Anyone here know of some really good local coffee beans?

My aunt back in the day would "extract" coffee from beans which she got from the local coffee shop in a large pot (like those used to cook pasta) of boiling water, with the beans being put in a sieve of some sort on top of the pot. I remember it being really good - well, could be the "yau char kwai" we had with the coffee.

My father used to buy bags of ground beans from a Hainanese coffee shop in Kemaman. You can see the guy roast the beans in a wok. It was only recently I started being able to taste Hainanese coffee -- before, it was this oversweet, overconcentrated, overwhelming drink. I couldn't tell one Hainanese coffee from another. Then one day I was in a second rate "modern" kopitiam and I noticed the coffee was insipid compared to OldTown's. That's when I knew I could tell the difference.

Why? What's the hook?

I think you get to taste the coffee. A good espresso can be drunk without sugar. 7g of coffee with 20ml of water and extraction time 20-25s.

This reminds of a story told to me. A middle age lady from India went to a Starbucks in Pavilion and started to belittle the barista. She said she had lived in London before and she knows her coffee. She ordered a single shot of espresso. After getting her espresso, she went to her table and returned a few moments later and started scolding and said she wants milk with it.

Any recs for cafes in spore serving good coffee ?

I like this place called Toby's Estate at 8 Rodyk Street. Near Furama hotel. I don't know if it's good GOOD coffee, but it's nothing like the starbucks crap. heheh.

Hoho, I'm presently in Kuantan, and seated in a place that calls itself Kemaman Kopitiam. Before me is a cup of their chiewphai white coffee. We shall see!

The best Hainanese coffee I've had.

Might have to make a trip to Kemaman.

Btw - myespresso in usj's coffee was quite impressive! Thanks to the tauke of a fledgling tailoring house for suggesting this place.

Location was questionable, second floor of a shop lot below a malay eatery (I would have struggled to notice myespresso if I simply walked past it). But if they have survived until now, they must be doing something right?

I'm sitting here in KF Chan's cafe. He just told me that a few of his baristas went off to Wardrobe, Jln. Maarof. Apparently, some Italian clothiers are visiting today, so Wardrobe wants to serve them great coffee. I think it may be Kiton they're hosting today.

^Huh, seeing this for the first time. One for the home, another for the office?

The coffee situation is quite squalid on my side. I've been out of beans for a solid three weeks. Every time I'm down in KL, which is some three times a week, I keep telling myself to drop by somewhere to buy some beans, any beans. But I'm always very pre-occupied when I'm in KL, and there are always all sorts of little (or major, depending on your view) emergencies on the commercial, social and technical fronts. When I'm done with business, I can't wait to leave the city for home. It's only on the drive home that I think of the coffee again.

The coffee situation is quite squalid on my side. I've been out of beans for a solid three weeks. Every time I'm down in KL, which is some three times a week, I keep telling myself to drop by somewhere to buy some beans, any beans. But I'm always very pre-occupied when I'm in KL, and there are always all sorts of little (or major, depending on your view) emergencies on the commercial, social and technical fronts. When I'm done with business, I can't wait to leave the city for home. It's only on the drive home that I think of the coffee again.

You can always order online. I haven't tried any of the local websites but here are some options:

www.cuppa.com.my

http://coffeeinmalaysia.com/

http://www.auresso.com.my/

Just in case you forget to buy them when you're visiting KL :)

• Like 1

Nah...old one was leaky. Lame excuse to get another one, I know.

Yeah...the Auresso site is quite refined.