Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Coffee

Baked-beans-sized coffee beans!

If I have time in the morning, I'll make 2 lattes, one for the missus. I also make lattes when I have guests over. But most of the time nowadays, my go to method is pour-over, paper-filtered coffee. Makes a very good cup in the right hands, but variables such as water temperature, grind size, brew time and coffee dosing add up to an inconsistent experience.

It's my favourite method because the best cup I've EVER had was made similarly. At Coffea Coffee, e-Curve Damansara, using (if I recall correctly) Nicaraguan beans.  Artisan Coffee in Sec 12 PJ also makes a good cup, as does Pulp in Bangsar. 

However, the tediousness of making a pour-over cup is tempting me to find a decent automated method.

A pour over is tedious? Isn't it just grind beans, put grounds into a filter-lined funnel, then pour hot water over?

I thought so too, but then there's the water temperature, grind size and brew time that must be kept consistent in order to achieve the perfect cup. Screw up one of these, and the end result may be either bitter or sour coffee or both.

Good point. I sometimes drink McD coffee, and still will go to Starbucks, so I will take caffeine in whatever form---sour, bitter, or even room temperature. But good coffee is always a treat.

I'm currently in caffe Bene in 1U. Just discovered its existence. I also found out today it's possible to have quite a good vegan lunch in 1U. In the Japanese section opposite the aeon market, I went for a stir fry of broccoli+mushroom+edamame which contains relatively little cooking oil. White rice with it.

I found myself at Ikano, which happens a few times a month. Bought ticket for Kingsman, then dropped in to Coffea for a cup of Nicaraguan. But two things:

a) the thing is RM22/cup

b ) they were out of stock on Nicaraguan.

So here I am with a plain Americano.

Americano is just diluted espresso. Never really liked it.

Just watched Kingsman as well, but in Jaya Shopping Centre. O.K., but the first movie was better.

IMG_20170926_155703.jpg?raw=1

Colombia Santa Monica drip coffee. I also have started buying premium instant coffee due to convenience, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Starbucks'. Trying Caffe Bene's now.

In the background, two jackets Coatmaker D handed to me.

Sony A6300 + Carl Zeiss Distagon 2/35

A forum member suggested I try out a cafe nearby my place in Janda Baik. Pinto Coffee.

IMG_20180302_125958.jpg?raw=1

The parking lot.

IMG-20180223-WA0005.jpg?raw=1

The whole building is the cafe.

IMG-20180223-WA0008.jpg?raw=1

Pinto grows its own coffee beans. 

IMG-20180223-WA0019.jpg?raw=1

The Banjaran, as they call it, calls to mind whiskey. It has the aroma of a dark liquor. It's definitely, unambiguously a high end coffee. It's full bodied; feels like eating coffee instead of drinking. RM20 for a pourover. They do not sell the beans.

DSC00909-Edit.jpg?raw=1

Went to Pinto Coffee again today. The Americano wasn't such a good choice---too little of it, and a bit too dilute! Going back to the pourover next time.