Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Coffee

IMG_20191018_120939.jpg?raw=1

Should have posted this earlier. Found this book at Pinto Coffee Janda Baik. Salgado is pretty much the no. 1 landscape photographer of our times. What a treat the book was. 

IMG_20191018_115703.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

I have to endure some air travel during this pandemic nonsense; and weeks in quarantine. 

So I started looking for a way to bring coffee along with me. Most roads led to the aeropress as the ultimate ‘on the go’ solution for camping and such.

So far I’ve brewed maybe 5-6 cups using the aeropress. Results have varied from average to passable but probably due to technique. My last two cups were quite enjoyable. 

I find the caffeine content to be lower than stovetop and even frenchpress, probably due to the fast brew times. So I can easily have two cups made from about 30g of beans (when I use my usual Bialetti; 30 grams is more than enough caffeine for the whole day). 

Quite impressed with the press given its such a simple and portable device. Although I find it abit finicky now, it should go away I use it more and hone the variables. 

Cup and teaspoon are the hotel’s. The porlex grinder fits nicely into the cavity of the aeropress for easy transport. 

02790232b44daa6c4f192cf490101937bd64c7c8

The Aeropress is one of the most versatile coffee brewers around, in my opinion. You probably just need to get used to it, as you surmised. 

I kind of follow the Blue Bottle method for brewing with the Aeropress. Minimal fuss, though I attribute that to using the Fellows Prismo with my Aeropress (very worthwhile addition to your brewing arsenal). 

Eight clicks on the Porlex should be a good grind size setting for the Aeropress in most cases. Water temperature: off the boil. 

I bring my own mug when in hotels. Makes a world of difference. I use a titanium Snow Peak mug. Titanium because light and undentable. 

I find a low brewing temperature to be very advantageous. Say 80 degrees Celcius for say 3 minutes. Gives the coffee that liquor taste. 

On 2/21/2021 at 5:01 PM, kenterong said:

The Aeropress is one of the most versatile coffee brewers around, in my opinion. You probably just need to get used to it, as you surmised. 

I kind of follow the Blue Bottle method for brewing with the Aeropress. Minimal fuss, though I attribute that to using the Fellows Prismo with my Aeropress (very worthwhile addition to your brewing arsenal). 

Eight clicks on the Porlex should be a good grind size setting for the Aeropress in most cases. Water temperature: off the boil. 

The rabbithole of aeropress begins; with add on kit :) 

Coincidentally I did 7 clicks on the porlex; just by approximation. 

On 2/22/2021 at 1:46 AM, kotmj said:

I bring my own mug when in hotels. Makes a world of difference. I use a titanium Snow Peak mug. Titanium because light and undentable. 

I find a low brewing temperature to be very advantageous. Say 80 degrees Celcius for say 3 minutes. Gives the coffee that liquor taste. 

Tried this morning, pretty good results! Definitely makes a stronger brew, which I like. And very aromatic. 

No kettle with variable temp so just left boiling water in a mug to sit for about 6 mins. 

Used about 30g of beans. Grounds filled up to one numbered notch of the aeropress to 1.5 numbered notches. 3 minute brew time. 

Need to invest in travel scales and a camping mug. 

My camping mug has the function of a mug, a bowl, and a saucepan. Mine is 500ml capacity. 

I can eat cornflakes+soy milk out of it. I can make oatmeal porridge in it. One could cook softboiled eggs in it.

But, I no longer spend any time in hotels (used to be in one every weekend).