158 replies to this topic

#41 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I'm not a coffee connoisseur. I just drink the stuff because it's easily available, contains caffeine, and has minimal calories. That said, I've had nice tasting coffee at places all over East London. Ozone Roasters, Salvation Jane, this one Japanese place that uses Monmouth beans, etc.

#42 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

I found those around Bloomsbury not too good. But I didn't go out of my way to look for good coffee. Just grabbed them around and about. Main problem, to me, is that the coffee is too diluted. I barely taste the coffee beans.

#43 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

For milk-coffee lovers, I'd recommend Magnolia's fresh milk. I've come to realize that unless the milk is 'fresh', i.e. not reconstituted from milk powder, the froth you make will disperse almost immediately. Also, this milk gives some awesome, creamy goodness, and once properly steamed, becomes sweet. Making hot milo with steamed/frothed milk produces a sweetness that just like milo with condensed milk, minus the sugar.

Posted Image

It's a whole milk, which is also what I look for. I normally go for the Dutch Lady with the green label which is a whole milk from New Zealand. There are 3 sorts of Dutch Ladys, the other two are reconstituted. Recently though, I've been drinking Fernleaf full cream milk powder, and I have to say I love it (not necessarily with coffee, just milk). They seem to have removed the lactose, because I can drink lots of that without problem.

#44 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Right....that should be the word: whole milk.

#45 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

http://www.nytimes.c...=me&ref=general

#46 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

Espresso is completely overrated. Filter is the best.

http://www.bostonmag...tion-starbucks/

#47 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Honestly...HONESTLY....the best tasting coffe I make at home is not an americano (espresso + hot water) or a latte or espresso - its regular-joe brewed coffee. My method: heat water to just before boiling in a pot (200g of H2O per cup), add freshly ground coffee and stir (10g-14g per cup, depending on the beans), let it steep for 3 minutes, and strain with a cloth-like strainer (the one mamak stalls use). Cleanest cup of coffee I can produce (don't have an aeropress, so can't compare). But for milk-based drinks, the mother-coffee (espresso) is still the best, IMHO.

#48 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

Honestly...HONESTLY....the best tasting coffe I make at home is not an americano (espresso + hot water) or a latte or espresso - its regular-joe brewed coffee. My method: heat water to just before boiling in a pot (200g of H2O per cup), add freshly ground coffee and stir (10g-14g per cup, depending on the beans), let it steep for 3 minutes, and strain with a cloth-like strainer (the one mamak stalls use). Cleanest cup of coffee I can produce (don't have an aeropress, so can't compare). But for milk-based drinks, the mother-coffee (espresso) is still the best, IMHO.

Get yourself an aeropress already. They are cheap on eBay. I use mine almost everyday.

#49 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Posted Image

It took me a while to get here. I have always drank my coffee with sugar and milk, then about a year ago dropped the sugar. Since three months, I've been drinking them black without sugar.

#50 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Espresso is completely overrated. Filter is the best.

Whilst I enjoy my filter coffee - great espresso is never overrated.

#51 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Anyone here try the Aeropress yet? So much hype surrounding it.

#52 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Anyone here try the Aeropress yet? So much hype surrounding it.

It DID take quite long! By George, did he just splash the hot water on the wall? How uncouthed! Aunt Betty would have been appalled, I tell you.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#53 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

It took me a while to get here. I have always drank my coffee with sugar and milk, then about a year ago dropped the sugar. Since three months, I've been drinking them black without sugar.

Yup, same progression. Once you get to pure black, very difficult to go back.

#54 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

^ whilst I am a lover of black coffee, a piccolo is a many splendid thing.

#55 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

Anyone here know of some really good local coffee beans?

My aunt back in the day would "extract" coffee from beans which she got from the local coffee shop in a large pot (like those used to cook pasta) of boiling water, with the beans being put in a sieve of some sort on top of the pot. I remember it being really good - well, could be the "yau char kwai" we had with the coffee.

#56 monsieurxu

monsieurxu

Megatimer

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Any recs for cafes in spore serving good coffee ?
Blogging on Style & Menswear -
http://avantistilo.blogspot.com

Handmade bespoke watches -
http://maisonceladon.com
http://maisonceladon.tumblr.com/

#57 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Anyone here know of some really good local coffee beans?

My aunt back in the day would "extract" coffee from beans which she got from the local coffee shop in a large pot (like those used to cook pasta) of boiling water, with the beans being put in a sieve of some sort on top of the pot. I remember it being really good - well, could be the "yau char kwai" we had with the coffee.

My father used to buy bags of ground beans from a Hainanese coffee shop in Kemaman. You can see the guy roast the beans in a wok. It was only recently I started being able to taste Hainanese coffee -- before, it was this oversweet, overconcentrated, overwhelming drink. I couldn't tell one Hainanese coffee from another. Then one day I was in a second rate "modern" kopitiam and I noticed the coffee was insipid compared to OldTown's. That's when I knew I could tell the difference.

#58 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Kemaman has the best beans. Nice and smokey. You can get them at Chawan!

#59 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yup, same progression. Once you get to pure black, very difficult to go back.

Why? What's the hook?

#60 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Why? What's the hook?

I think you get to taste the coffee. A good espresso can be drunk without sugar. 7g of coffee with 20ml of water and extraction time 20-25s.

This reminds of a story told to me. A middle age lady from India went to a Starbucks in Pavilion and started to belittle the barista. She said she had lived in London before and she knows her coffee. She ordered a single shot of espresso. After getting her espresso, she went to her table and returned a few moments later and started scolding and said she wants milk with it.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users