158 replies to this topic

#121 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

Yes - the fresh stuff brews up way better. No comparison.

#122 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:51 PM

Just found out about Chemex coffee makers. Very tempted to get one to try.

It's essentially quite similar to drip filtered coffee, but in a nice self contained unit - unlike other filtered coffee systems with multiple moving parts which cause unnecessary mess and anxiety.

chemex-coffee_fe1.jpg

Bonus, apparently Bond drinks Chemex coffee one of the books. 

#123 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:08 AM

What's the benefits grinding your own beans? I'm doing it because I can try different kind of beans otherwise I can't tell the difference. I alway have whole beans and grinded coffee as back up more for convenience.

It's the difference between freshly ground pepper from a peppermill suspended over the dish and pre-ground pepper in plastic shakers all damp and mouldy and adulterated with ground woodchips.

#124 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:10 AM

Just found out about Chemex coffee makers. Very tempted to get one to try.

It's essentially quite similar to drip filtered coffee, but in a nice self contained unit - unlike other filtered coffee systems with multiple moving parts which cause unnecessary mess and anxiety.

chemex-coffee_fe1.jpg

Bonus, apparently Bond drinks Chemex coffee one of the books.

Hario, the Japanese glassware maker, has a model like this. Parkson carries Hario.

#125 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 03:22 PM

Just a bought bialletti moka pot 3 cups at isetan. By the way they having sale at isetan on moka pot for 150 buck plus 250 grams of illy coffee. Cant wait to try it.

#126 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:15 PM

Try already? Can pass?

#127 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

It's really good, as close as you can get to a proper espresso. I've tried it before, my friend had it but at the time I didn't think id be rajin or patient enough with the actual making It cleaning up so I went with the French press. I never really liked the French press had more murkier and dirty taste and I thought it was never worth the extra effort. But with the aeropress I could really taste the difference and started to enjoy the process of making it.

#128 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:59 PM

Yes, the aeropress produces a bright, transparent brew, tea-like.

#129 bloke

bloke

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:38 PM

Acquired an espresso machine, so I'm letting go of my aeropress, still comes with more than half of paper filters. Any takers?

Kotmj - "Is it this big when flaccid?"

#130 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:47 PM

In Hainan, I had the best and the worst coffee of my life. My first coffee experience there was in a village coffee shop a walking distance away from the Tok ancestral house in Wenchang, a small district in Hainan.
1-IMG_7817_zpsryiqmprj.jpg

It was pretty meh. I put it down to the place being provincial.

I was walking along a street in Haikou (capital city of Hainan) when I passed by a boisterous coffee shop packed with people. I thought, here's the place Haikou locals go to, let's try the real article.
1-IMG_7928_zpsqez05khn.jpg

I thought it was their custom to serve tea with coffee but upon closer sniffing found that the liquid in the teapot is actually coffee. I had two cups of the thing, and found it was the worst coffee I've ever had, worse even than the one I had in Wenchang. It was extremely dilute. It had this mild taste of dead coffee without any aroma. That pot of coffee was 4 yuan.

My nervous system was excited by the prospect of a good dose of caffeine, now unfulfilled, so I could not walk in peace without satisfying it. Looking for a proper cup of coffee became a priority. I found it, sort of, in a trendy café. For 22 yuan, I got a pretty strong cup of coffee. Relatively satisfying.
1-IMG_7934_zps0nnb6td2.jpg

The best coffee of my life came unexpectedly. We were on the way to Haikou from Senya, when we stopped by a petrol station for a toilet break. I saw a café adjacent to the petrol station, so dropped in for a cup. I thought I'd just go for their best bean. I looked at the menu, and the best cup of coffee was 168 yuan. I thought maybe there was a printing error. Are there that many millionaires stopping by this place for coffee? So I went with the next highest priced, which was 38 yuan.
1-IMG_9146_zpsgi19wytx.jpg

Never have I tasted so much of the floral aroma of coffee concentrated in so little liquid. It was an enormous bouquet. There was also no bitterness; there was an underlying sweetness which I never thought coffee could have.

#131 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 01:20 PM

I'm getting this, now my home cappuccino making is complete. Been using the electric one, that can be my alternate.

http://coffeacoffee....etti-tuttocrema

And recently tried a kopi luak, came in a really fancy packaging. Like selangor pewter box thingy. I'd say it's really nice tea like, very light. I enjoyed it but I don't think I'll pay for it, honestly I'm quite happy with my waitrose beans, damn good value in my opinion.

#132 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:21 PM

I'm unwinding from an exhausting weekend, at Caffe Bene, and holy fuck is their Americano good.

#133 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Having an Ethiopia at Cafe Bene, jajaja they make it impossible for me to drink other people's coffee, Cafe Bene is too good...too good.

#134 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I think Caffe Bene has the best Americano in KL. Having a cup now.

#135 riggy

riggy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAround Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

I think Caffe Bene has the best Americano in KL. Having a cup now.

Pyramid or solaris?

One can never have too many shoes......or cars...or watches...or houses...or...
motoring-malaysia.blogspot.com
and
amalaysianman.blogspot.com/

#136 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

I'm mostly at their Pyramid outlet because of proximity to the hotel in Subang, but I've also tried their outlet in Kota Kemuning and it is just as good. Occasionally, it tastes off (poor brewing?) or not quite optimal but even then it is still the best in KL.

#137 riggy

riggy

Megatimer

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • LocationAround Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 02 May 2016 - 11:02 PM

Let's have a cuppa there one day.You are there weekends?

One can never have too many shoes......or cars...or watches...or houses...or...
motoring-malaysia.blogspot.com
and
amalaysianman.blogspot.com/

#138 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

IMG_20160518_123716.jpg?raw=1

Lowdown Cafe, Perth City. Supposedly very good coffee, according to Misift, pictured. Please notice the bagles and rings. Misfit is opening a cafe in Subiaco. A surprising move to me, since before he got on the boat, he drank no coffee.

#139 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Semua misfit mahu kow tim

#140 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,679 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 August 2016 - 09:43 PM

IMG_20160820_213705_zpsn4lva0xt.jpg

Making coffee while away from home. Caffe Bene "Kenya Nyala" beans (very good); Kyocera ceramic hand grinder; Snow Peak titanium mug; Daiso filter holder and paper filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users