#141 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:53 PM

IMG_20161030_184702_zpseugflksv.jpg

Quite drinkable nowadays unlike in the past...

#142 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:15 AM

That view is really worth getting up early for. What's the temperature like over there, that early in the AM?

Recently, I tried and gave Starbucks (SB) beans another run. I got me 250g of their 'House Blend' (a medium-to-medium-dark roast) and ground the beans at home, making some lattes and filtered coffee. Results were not encouraging....bitter and flat. The beans were priced relatively OK, but I think they were too darkly roasted. Given the price, I may (MAY) try their lighter roasts and see how things go. One thing SB has going for it is its availability....I stay in PJ and there are TWO SBs within a 1km radius from my house!

Luckily, there are many 'hipster'-type cafes that have opened up, some which (claim to)  roast their own beans. One large downside is that one really does not know (without some research), if they are any good. Another is that their beans cost significantly more than SBs, sometimes up to 50-60% more.

Anyway, I have tried Artisan Coffee in PJ, both for drink-in and their for whole beans, and they're quite good. There beans can be as fresh as a few days old (since roasted), and the high turnover rate ensures no stale beans.

Another favorite of mine is Pulp, just in front of NSTP in Bangsar. My wife says their lattes are really good, but I usually go for their 'nitro' cold brew. Pulp also sells coffee paraphernalia, and although I have never asked, would probably not mind giving some lessons on brewing.

Last note, once you've acquired basic coffee making gear, whatever your preferred style, I would suggest getting a scale with 0.1g precision.  It helps with consistency and manages to help with sucky coffee.

#143 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:27 PM

Believe it or not, that's dusk. I am a very late riser and have not seen a dawn in maybe a decade. I believe the temperate was 18 degrees Celcius. There is a big billboard with a digital temperature display in this place. It's a pulic garden planted with flowering plants which give off a sticky sweet scent. I thought it was somebody with a strong perfume sitting in a nearby garden bench, but the whole garden and its vicinity smelled of it. It may be frangipani, but I'm not sure.

Someday, I will want to roast my own beans. Green beans can be imported and have an indefinite shelf life in the fridge. There are home coffee roasting devices.

#144 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

I bought some coffee beans from SF Coffee two days ago. Unlike most cafe outlets, their beans do not come pre-packed with manufacuring dates from 8 months ago. They sell you beans by the 100g from the same beans they use to brew their coffee. Really fresh. But the taste is still not on Caffe Bene level...

#145 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 03 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

I wonder...does Caffe Bene sell whole beans?

The best tasting cup of black coffee I had was at Coffea Coffee, in Sri Petaling. Ended up there by accident. Had their filtered coffee. Totally next level.

#146 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

Yes, Caffe Bene sells whole beans. It's what I've been using the past couple of months. Problem is, they are prepacked and are several months old. Nonetheless, they still taste better than freshly-roasted beans from SF Coffee.

#147 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:33 PM

IMG_20161124_172114.jpg?raw=1

I received a whatsapp message from KF Chan out of the blue on the Bersih weekend. He said he was talking to a customer in his cafe who said he wanted to quit his job at a bank and become a tailor. They then started talking about me. This made him think of me.

I have not been to KF Chan's cafe in years. He told me he moved his cafe downstairs, so that it now fronts the road. I dropped by this week for a coffee and also for another Aeropress and hand grinder. I'll be using this when making myself a coffe while in the shop.

#148 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:17 AM

IMG_20161127_111242.jpg?raw=1

While waiting this morning for a customer...

#149 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 28 November 2016 - 05:11 AM

So this is how it's done: Home roasting coffee.

https://youtu.be/GWvtvfarIDU

#150 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 09 September 2017 - 07:32 PM

IMG_20170909_191808.jpg?raw=1

I just had to buy this since they were grown in Johor. Only after brewing my first cup did I bother to take a look at what it is I bought.

Turns out it is not Arabica. Also, the beans are humongous---the size of Shandong peanuts.

IMG_20170909_191845.jpg?raw=1

I was a bit excited to see it was roasted 4th September. I was anticipating a particularly flavoursome brew. Instead, the coffee is bland. Meh.

#151 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 15 September 2017 - 01:32 AM

Baked-beans-sized coffee beans!

If I have time in the morning, I'll make 2 lattes, one for the missus. I also make lattes when I have guests over. But most of the time nowadays, my go to method is pour-over, paper-filtered coffee. Makes a very good cup in the right hands, but variables such as water temperature, grind size, brew time and coffee dosing add up to an inconsistent experience.

It's my favourite method because the best cup I've EVER had was made similarly. At Coffea Coffee, e-Curve Damansara, using (if I recall correctly) Nicaraguan beans.  Artisan Coffee in Sec 12 PJ also makes a good cup, as does Pulp in Bangsar. 

However, the tediousness of making a pour-over cup is tempting me to find a decent automated method.

#152 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:32 PM

A pour over is tedious? Isn't it just grind beans, put grounds into a filter-lined funnel, then pour hot water over?

#153 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

I thought so too, but then there's the water temperature, grind size and brew time that must be kept consistent in order to achieve the perfect cup. Screw up one of these, and the end result may be either bitter or sour coffee or both.

#154 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Good point. I sometimes drink McD coffee, and still will go to Starbucks, so I will take caffeine in whatever form---sour, bitter, or even room temperature. But good coffee is always a treat.

I'm currently in caffe Bene in 1U. Just discovered its existence. I also found out today it's possible to have quite a good vegan lunch in 1U. In the Japanese section opposite the aeon market, I went for a stir fry of broccoli+mushroom+edamame which contains relatively little cooking oil. White rice with it.

#155 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:16 PM

I found myself at Ikano, which happens a few times a month. Bought ticket for Kingsman, then dropped in to Coffea for a cup of Nicaraguan. But two things:

a) the thing is RM22/cup
b ) they were out of stock on Nicaraguan.

So here I am with a plain Americano.

#156 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

Their Americano is no better than McD's. Worse than Starbucks'. Two grades below Caffe Bene.

#157 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

Americano is just diluted espresso. Never really liked it.

Just watched Kingsman as well, but in Jaya Shopping Centre. O.K., but the first movie was better.

#158 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 September 2017 - 04:05 PM

IMG_20170926_155703.jpg?raw=1

Colombia Santa Monica drip coffee. I also have started buying premium instant coffee due to convenience, and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of Starbucks'. Trying Caffe Bene's now.

In the background, two jackets Coatmaker D handed to me.

Sony A6300 + Carl Zeiss Distagon 2/35

#159 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:10 AM

https://youtu.be/N8meCjVsJWI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users