174 replies to this topic

#1 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I don't know where this should go; there doesn't seem to be a suitable sub-forum. I'll let kotmj decide!

I was wondering what people do for exercise here. While tailors can certainly enhance and compensate for physical shortcomings, ultimately they are not plastic surgeons. Alas, the hard work must either be done by the scalpel or at the gym. So what do people here do to make sure they still fit their commissions years down the road? Unleash your inner 'broscientist' and educate your fellow Kerbaus on how to stoke that metabolic fire.

I've tried various programs over the years, from boxing to endurance running. Right now I'm doing the Starting Strength program, which is a pretty old-fashioned bar-bell training program. It seems to be highly effective in muscle mass gain, provided you're eating and resting properly. I've also found boxing (or other high-intensity workouts) to be useful for fat loss and getting 'cut', although the intensity of the workout means you have to be rather well prepared before each one.

#2 NoName

NoName

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

If you are talking solely about increasing metabolism/losing weight, I've found that high intensity interval training has been the most effective cardio training method for myself. I've tried normal jogging/running, swimming, rope jumping as well.

What I used to do:
1) Stretch for 2 mins.
2) Warm up walk for 2 mins.
3) Sprint really hard for 1 min.
4) Brisk walk for 2 mins.
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until I turn blue.

Not for the faint hearted, but it gets the work done in the shortest amount of time.

This + low carb diet, and I saw drastic results within 1 month.

If you are talking about getting ripped/cut, try reading books by Pavel Tsatsouline. He educates on the various muscle twitching and muscle tension which gives that ripped look.

#3 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Why did you stop doing it?

#4 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

I gained 8 kg on Starting Strength. This was maybe 3 years ago. (I'm essentially back at square 1 now that I'm sedentary.) I also cut on a sprinting program -- it works very well and I found that I loved sprinting. Sprinting is the exact opposite of jogging. Humans were never made to jog -- it destroys your knees and is an inefficient way to burn calories.

Sprinting is something you do when you chase prey or try to outrun a predator. The act of sprinting feels very natural. Keep it down to 45 seconds max per sprint.

#5 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Better to swim than to jog. I also did HIIT swimming in my previous job when the Friday lunch break was 1 hour 45 minutes and my condo had a pool that nobody used . Loved it too.

#6 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

interval training is the way to go, to keep your metabolism at a high rate (even after you've finished your workout).

and as mentioned, you don't need to spend a huge amount of time at the gym.

#7 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

If you are talking solely about increasing metabolism/losing weight, I've found that high intensity interval training has been the most effective cardio training method for myself. I've tried normal jogging/running, swimming, rope jumping as well.

What I used to do:
1) Stretch for 2 mins.
2) Warm up walk for 2 mins.
3) Sprint really hard for 1 min.
4) Brisk walk for 2 mins.
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until I turn blue.

Not for the faint hearted, but it gets the work done in the shortest amount of time.

This + low carb diet, and I saw drastic results within 1 month.

If you are talking about getting ripped/cut, try reading books by Pavel Tsatsouline. He educates on the various muscle twitching and muscle tension which gives that ripped look.

That is a very good suggestion. I hate swimming, gym and jogging, and no tennis since I have hurt my back some years back.

#8 NoName

NoName

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Joonian,

I got married... which was how I discovered this forum. Yes, I'm one of the culprits doing desktop research on suits 1 month before the wedding. :P

As effective as HIIT may be, to me it was a workout driven by vanity and not by passion/interest. There was no sustenance to this, because as soon as results were achieved in the mirror, complacency kicks in.

If I may add further, wearing the right running shoes and learning the proper running gait will help in reducing injuries.

Petepan,

On a separate subject matter, I would recommend you to consider QiGong - corrective healing for your bad back.
http://www.wellnessmedicalqigong.com/
I sprained my LCL (knee) earlier this year and was suggested by my then boss to try this. I limped in as a sceptic and I ran out a firm believer.

#9 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Noname: Yes, that's why I only did boxing for HIIT. Without the art and the group pressure (I subscribe to peer pressure only in limited scenarios!), it would be impossible for me to push myself with such intensity.

Kotmj: Never read 'Born to Run'? The thesis is the exact opposite of yours, and he has some compelling evidence to back it up. But I totally agree that endurance running is not the best way to lose calories... people have to go into it knowing what they're getting. Unfortunately this usually isn't the case, and it leads to some frustrated people.

#10 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:27 PM

interesting that the tarahumara consume corn beer as a way to fuel their ultramarathons.

interesting also that humans are supposedly very good at long distance running because we have the ability to sweat (among other things).

#11 beaver

beaver

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Anyone here into bootcamp?

#12 uturn

uturn

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Bootcamp?... PLKN kinda thing?..too old for that..

#13 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm trying out this workout called 6 Pack Short Cuts. It always advertised on your search bar (honestly thought it was some MLM bullshit). The video are quite amateurish, i was extremely skeptical. But their work out programs are quite intense when you do the thing then you realise there is no such thing as short cut. The diet is good but something that is really hard to apply in this part of the world. I like the workouts its time based its short and intense. Gym time is bout 30m and prob add another 30m for warm ups.

#14 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

do let us know how it works out for you, zinzan. i've been quite curious about it myself, especially when the guy claims that it's very easy to apply (on the diet part, more so than the exercise part).

#15 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

What kind of exercise and what diet is prescribed? Is it basically hiit + low carb diet?

(null)

#16 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

When going on Low Carb Diets, I would suggest to stay away from extremely high intense workouts unless you are pretty experienced with training. Main reason is that

Low carb if done properly will shift energy system to fat as fuel - Fat is consumed as fuel at low RER's . Low RER is usually acheived at low intensity exercise/resting. So basically in a nutshell when you are sitting down watching tv you are using fat as fuel. In a way la.

Try circuit training. They would work. Swing by rosstraining.com and look up some nice routine. But tweak to adjust to your ability/capacity.

Slow steady cardio does the trick as well. Do it fasted. Back in undergrad i remember writing a paper about low intensity workouts and fat consumption/caloric expenditure. Remember that your body adapts quickly tho so always include variation. I'd swim if i know how but yeah too bad i cant. :P

:D

#17 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

Shanecross: So if on low carb diet you would recommend slow steady (aerobic?) cardio + (aerobic?) circuit training? What would the overall effect be... weight loss or fat loss or muscle gain?

#18 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

The diet is bit crazy, it does look easy in theory but can't be arsed to cook for the week.

#19 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Shanecross: So if on low carb diet you would recommend slow steady (aerobic?) cardio + (aerobic?) circuit training? What would the overall effect be... weight loss or fat loss or muscle gain?

It depends on the individual. For example, you can get up in the morning, smack on a cup of black coffee with no sugar and walk on the treadmill for like 45mins at 5km/h @ 7-8% gradient. Then maybe you can head over to the stepper and do something at low intensity as well. When circuit training, perhaps keep it short and simple. Wanna get the heart pumping and condition yourself too. So something like... 10 box jumps, Renegade rows and 30 jumping jacks. Repeat for 6 sets. Something like that la.

#20 mattiusa

mattiusa

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thats a pretty tall order

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users