Anybody has experience with GNC Weight Loss products?..

I'm at a point where i need supplementary help at reducing my weight.

A forum member invited me along to a morning workout at fitness first, subang empire. I'm posting from the lounge area of the gym. Even at 10:30am, it's packed. The facilities are great. Free tea and coffee, DVD free library, nice furnishing... But I think a commercial gym like this is not for me. It's claustrophobic.

you can check out blitz gym in SS15 subang. its a tiny place, but they have a power rack. barely anyone there on weekend mornings. Jam packed on week nights

http://www.facebook.com/blitzgym

Shane, what do you think of supplements? I've just started using bsn protein whey and lipo 6. I've never used supplements before just curious, dunno whether its effective or not?

Hey

To date, the only supplement that has been proven to work is creatine. Whey protein is just protein. So if you want to get one, get the cheapest. I think whey protein is more like a treat, especially the good tasting ones! Take half scoop of whey protein post workout + some simple carbs like dextrose or those waxy maize thing. Use a 2:1 carb to protein ratio. Dont really have to take whey protein other than post workout. Unless you are on the go and cant get solid food in.

Lipo 6's main ingredient is caffeine. Caffeine increases the rate of lipolysis. So that means it does play a role in fat loss. But you need to compliment it with a good workout and reasonable diet. Just be practical about everything man, thats how I look at it.

I used creatine when i was playing competitive rugby but after that i stopped i gained weight but that is mostly attributed ill-discipline diet (hey like my food man as in evidence in the Food Section).

Of what i noticed when im on whey is that the muscle soreness seem to be recovering faster. The muscle definition does look a bit better but nothing to shout about. I just finished my 1st tub, i might just stay off it for a month try it again next as per your tip. I was advised by the shop obviously they wanted me to finish the tub fast was to take in the morning and evening post work out.

A forum member invited me along to a morning workout at fitness first, subang empire. I'm posting from the lounge area of the gym. Even at 10:30am, it's packed. The facilities are great. Free tea and coffee, DVD free library, nice furnishing... But I think a commercial gym like this is not for me. It's claustrophobic.

It's fantastic but way too crowded.

Of what i noticed when im on whey is that the muscle soreness seem to be recovering faster. The muscle definition does look a bit better but nothing to shout about. I just finished my 1st tub, i might just stay off it for a month try it again next as per your tip. I was advised by the shop obviously they wanted me to finish the tub fast was to take in the morning and evening post work out.

Instead of taking supplements have you tired altering your diet to suit your workout needs and goals?

JC

I was just really experimenting with the supplements. Diets is not something that i firmly believe in doing perpetually besides eating in moderation. I find it in Malaysia its hard to have any form of diet, the food is too damn good and reasonable. People as committed as Shane do it, to the extent cooking his own meal. My goal is just to be in reasonable shape and healthy.

I think its all about matching your lifestyle and the diet. If you live a hectic lifestyle, then of course you cant afford to carry tupperwares around. So you just need to get more work done to compensate. Its all about Calories in vs Calories out la i think.

• Like 2

There may be a wire attached to the barbell suspended off a pulley outside the camera frame.

My power rack

P7050305_zps89ea58bf.jpg

It's one of those things I cannot do without. I work out only sporadically. I would get into a good stretch, say 3 weeks of regular workouts, but then the next trunk show looms and many garments must be made. Also, pretty often, emergencies arise, fires come up, etc, and I would be cognitively completely preoccupied with putting them out.

But when I can, I try to work out. This rack is very versatile. You can squat and bench. The bar at the top lets you do pullups and such. The parallel bars at the top lets you do dips. You can press.

I have lived in three apartments since graduation, and this rack has moved with me every time.

• Like 2

The parallel bars at the top lets you do dips.

Fwah - the parallel bars look pretty high up to me (and look to be spread quite far apart).

You have gymnast level fitness and flexibility going on j.

I accept golden bananas.

What I've not figured out is how people who have to travel ever keep fit. By keeping fit, I do not mean running a mile or two around your taman perumahan or doing yoga. Most people think that's keeping fit. I mean something more quantitative.

I mean keeping your 1 RM in the big lifts and your VO2max.

You would build up work capacity and 1 RM and whatever, then you go on a business trip. You go through jet lag, you have many business meetings, you are preoccupied the whole day, you do not eat properly and do not sleep properly, etc.

Then you come back and you have to start over again.

Actually, you would have to stop working out even before you go on the trip because to achieve personal records today, then go on a business trip tomorrow would be quite damaging to recovery. You would feel really strange.

I tried something new in this regard. Before leaving on this trip, I did a maintenance workout. Basically a single set with the same weights as the previous workout. For all the big lifts.

I currently have struggling with this issue also. I am travelling extensively and often only in a specific hotel 1-2 nights before traveling to the next city/hotel, often for a week or 2 are a single trip coupled with early mornings for outstation travelling or morning traffic of the respective city (try Beijing) and late nights with client dinners etc it has been proving impossible to have some sort of routine (which for me has always been key in my regimen). Unlike the sartorial topics of this forum, i actually do know something about this as I used to compete professionally and was also in the military when I was younger and understand the what works and doesnt with respect to this. And I also speak frequently with my boss on this who also travels alot and he has finished and ironman triathlon in hawaii. However as the addage goes, do as i say, not as I do, as a while ago had given up my routine in lew of the new work schedule and have paid for it dearly. Only now am in the process of doing what i should and finding what works for me travelling, So my 2 cents:

Schedule/Recovery/Sleep etc: Dont overthink it. There are so many 'rules' on what needs to be done to achieve cardio/strength results. Enough sleep, Xgrams of protien per day, drink whey protein withing Xminutes of working out, drink casine protein before sleeping etc. Sure that helps, but even from my time in the army where we would be on exercise away for upto 2 weeks at a time, where we had very little sleep, no supplements and limited rations, no fixed times where we could workout etc after such exercises my cario and strength was no worse, dont get caught up on all the rules, just get the training in. So what if you dont have ideal recovery, just make sure you get the session in, whether it is very early morning before your meetings or late night after you dinner. Yes working out after a meal and with a few wines in you is not ideal, but just get the workout in. It is more mental than anything else. The equipment available is not ideal, so what just make do and make your own intensity. You just have to get comfortabel with the fat you are not following the rules and the situation is not ideal. All the extremely fit persons who travel frequently I know make do with what is available and make sure they get in one session everyday, irrespective of how ideal the conditions, timing, tiredness etc.

VO2max: you have to workout when travelling, even if only 2 days. unless your staying in a cheap motel, most hotels will have a decent treadmill or elliptical trainer. Interval training. I say no more. Put your headphones in, strap your polar on, and do your 1min on 1 min off interval on either of these machines. yes you may get some looks from the intensity you're working out at, but for VO2max development (not just maintenance) this is what you need to do, as for specifics how much on and how much off depends on where you are at with your training cycle etc etc. 1min on 1min off is once you have gotten to a good level already. This interval training needs to be done everyday when travelling (but at differing intensities as you dont go max every day)

strength: often limited on few pieces of equipment by the respective hotel, but improvise and do what can be done with the limited dumbells. For me upto 5 days away from heavy lifting does not affect my strength. Just make sure you are doing some lifting during this period but keep reps under 8 (often hard given the weights (or lack there of) in hotel gyms) no need to do max lifting. There should be no reason why you cant maintain strength by doing this for periods less than a week at a time. 

travelling: the biggest issue of working out when travelling is space (ie runners to pack) and wet clothes and often becuase of this, this is an excuse not to workout.

Shoes. get some flexible shoes with very little cushion that can roll up of scrunch flat. I personally use brooks pure (below) and roll them up and hold the rolled shape with 2 velco strips. takes very little space in the luggage. As for wet clothes, obviously get the thinnest, fast drying material you can get, and make sure the shorts dont have elastic, just drawstrings. 

so in summary, dont overthink it, dont use the travelling as an excuse, it is just a mental constraint to why you cant keep fit while traveling, just get the high intensity sessions in as best you can and have some good travelling sports equipment. Unless you are a professional athelete which has a very special regemin, there is no reason why you cant maintain maximum fitness levels when travelling. Goals are good, ie personal bests, but don let these dictate your training (or lack thereof  - ie concerns on adequate recovery). Your body is a profound system it will adapt to whatever stresses, regemin and lifestyle you subject it to.

110141_725_a_ZM_zps0e611ee3.jpg

Well said nisenin!! Jeremy, you over analyzing it. For me, any travel under 3 days I don't exercise, anything above that ill pack my gym kit. And I find it helps me with the jet lag. If there's no gym at hotel ill go for a run. Kind of balance off all the excess food from entertaining or being entertained.

a good pair of shoes to use for heavy lifting is actually the new balance minimus zero road (there's also the minimus zero trail, for the minimalist trail runner in you). it's a zero-drop shoe with a really wide toebox.

plus points are it takes really minimal space in your luggage (super flexible), and weighs only 181 grams.

Doing a period of cardio now and taking a break from starting strength. Speed gains are noticable on the road from all those squats and deadlifts and presses. Cardio capacity is severely diminished, though! Need to rebuild. 

One of the biggest problem with lifting weights is you have to eat all the time. If I don't think I have the time to eat, I don't lift.

You're supposed to eat a protein-rich diet. Some drink unconscionable amounts of milk. Some eat a steak/burger at every meal. Chicken breasts seem popular but I dislike that myself (dry and fibrous).

All that food is great for the short term goals, but they do shorten your lifespan. Your kidneys might give out first (from having to process all that food).

Anyway, I was looking at tofu recently. Apparently protein rich. When I actually did the research I was shocked: two blocks (the bigger sized ones) of tofu (RM 0.70 each) has the protein equivalent of a scoop of whey. The thought of tofu led me to think of the Japanese, and ultimately to sumos.

The sumos, it turns out, have a very quick way of whipping up a meal. It's a bit like a steamboat. A pot of broth (miso, mostly) into which you dump meat and vegetables and tofu. Super fast to cook.

http://www.banzuke.com/chanko-nabe/