kotmj

Dress shoes

You mean as though it's my most expensive bag that took 3 months of waiting to be made to my specifications and which is so impressive in person people go ooh and ahhh? Of course not -- why would I do that?

Stupid accident cost me my old trusty oxford

Oh well, a good reason for a new pair of shoes, I guess

Mario Minardi

54119_20150524100011.jpg

I heard they also sell it in Malaysia. Any review on this brand?

Stupid accident cost me my old trusty oxford

Oh well, a good reason for a new pair of shoes, I guess

Mario Minardi

54119_20150524100011.jpg

I heard they also sell it in Malaysia. Any review on this brand?

Your photo cannot be viewed. Anyway, Mario Minardi is an Indonesian made brand. They have mainly, mocassin, blake stitched and also goodyear welted type construction for shoes. The quality is considered fair for its price (RM499-799 here in KL). They are priced slightly lower than Loake shoes here in Malaysia and are good value. Quality of leather used is decent with very little hand finishing when it comes to colouring or patina. 

I quite fancy their wholecuts, but would never buy any unless I get them cheap these days so that I can practise my DIY patina on wholecuts (because I already have tons of shoes to go around). Mario Minardi are good, but I prefer if you could go find shoes made by Fortuna Shoes in Bandung. Those have extra hand finishing done on them and look a cut higher than what Mario Minardi offers. Not that MM are bad mind you. I would buy them if I were starting off my shoe collection and based in Indonesia.

Regards

One can never have too many shoes......or cars...or watches...or houses...or...

motoring-malaysia.blogspot.com

and

amalaysianman.blogspot.com/

oh okay. Viewed them. It looks like their blake stitched captoe oxfords. Some of the Mario Minardi do come with the half rubber sole like in the pic.Good for rainy season as blake stitched shoes do wick in the water through the threads if you step in puddles. 

Since you're looking at their black shoes I have to say that with black shoes there would not be any hand finished on the leather. Maybe just a buff from the factory. But with black shoes, it is how the shoe looks rather than the patina. and how it takes polish (bookbinder or corrected grain slightly harder than normal calf). 

These look decent. I would buy them as an affordable shoe to start with since they're made in Indonesia and you're in Indonesia. 

and

In my first attempt being the shoe snob, armed with saphir renovateur cream and wax (courtesy of a friend that came back from uk), I got one shoe to shine decently but the other in a mess! Appreciate tips on how to save my cheaney!

post-30844-0-08540300-1433162122_thumb.jpg

Sigh left it to dry after getting a comment that I had put too much water and I think it got worse!

I think you've ruined it. But, you could save it by making the captoe a darker shade of brown. You need to strip off some of the colour and then add either dark shoe polish...this is lightly altering the patina. If you want to go wild, you could to like what I did, and use leather dye. for a more permanent solution. 

DSC02039-1%2B%5B1280x768%5D.jpgThis happened to suffer from some stains caused by polishing a bit too hard on the captoe...So I used dye and it became this....

andrea1.jpg

11334612_478882868939348_1023094885_n.jp

Think of it as tuition fee and then an opportunity to try out DIY patina.

Regards

and

What were you using on it? Depending on product and how hard you were rubbing it in, you might have stripped some of the finishing.

Or it could be too much water(if you were trying for a mirror shine), in which case I would suggest you strip off everything(gently) and start over.

If it is just too much water, you want to strip off the wax. Renovateur will do that a little bit. If you have Renomat, that would be better, but be careful, it's quite strong!

Nail polish remover(acetone) apparently works too but I've never tried it. That is also quite strong so try it on a small, less visible, part of the shoe first.

the water mark will basically not go away. your only hope is to darken the leather.. use a darker shade of cream. 

That's polishing too hard after you soaked your leather with too much of water I guess, just a few coats of cream polish and thEn continue with mirror shine using wax polish, your shoes can still look as good as new. You can either use a matching color or a shade darker

^ have you successfully obtained a mirror shine on a spot with a water stain? i havent.. the wax wont flatten out over the water spot bit because it's 'rougher'. 

It's hard to see the extent of the 'damage' as the white balance in the photos are 'off'.

May be take the photo again in natural day light.

It's hard to see the extent of the 'damage' as the white balance in the photos are 'off'.

May be take the photo again in natural day light.

I have taken a look at the picture again and it is quite representative how it did looked. Admittedly it is taken at night (when i had some free time to do some polishing).

As an update, I had a darker shade brown cream which i did a couple of layers. It was quite interesting as the first layer was being rubbed in (gently i may add), you could see the 'white spots' reappearing as the cream dried up. After that, i used a darker brown wax and did a couple of layers (no water) and left it as is. 

This morning the white spots are not as visible, a speck here and there but far from the finish product. Will attempt a couple of layers of wax tonight. Once thats fixed, i got to change the colour on the other half, which is nice and shiny!

Thanks alot for the tips!

Next time must learn never to use so much water, really expensive lesson!

I have taken a look at the picture again and it is quite representative how it did looked. Admittedly it is taken at night (when i had some free time to do some polishing).

As an update, I had a darker shade brown cream which i did a couple of layers. It was quite interesting as the first layer was being rubbed in (gently i may add), you could see the 'white spots' reappearing as the cream dried up. After that, i used a darker brown wax and did a couple of layers (no water) and left it as is. 

This morning the white spots are not as visible, a speck here and there but far from the finish product. Will attempt a couple of layers of wax tonight. Once thats fixed, i got to change the colour on the other half, which is nice and shiny!

Thanks alot for the tips!

Next time must learn never to use so much water, really expensive lesson!

Water (and also rain) damage the shoes (both the upper and the sole).

I would be really careful about using nail polish remover on my fine leather shoes.

As others have said, use the reno. Might need to do it a few times.

Only if the shoes are caked with years of polish would I use harsher stuff like acetone or rubbing alcohol. Even then, I always dilute the stuff with water, apply sparingly and allow plenty of time for the stuff to evaporate to assess what the leather looks like before applying another layer.

Zj maybe consider getting professional help? If you are not sure of the cause, you might make it worse man. 

Thanks guys. Came back home late and I doubt I will play with the shoe. At the moment I haven't ventured to acetone. Just light layering of a darker cream and wax.

Amy recommendations on where to get professional help in kl?