kotmj

Dress shoes

Good result, just continue with the same procedure for more of a shine.

Yes, do not brush when you are in mirror shine phsae as the key to a mirror shine is the surface to be as smooth as possible. The brushing would defeat the purpose as it breaks the surface.  

Not saying this is a good protocol, but this is my personal care routine just for reference and its what works for me.

Care

1. Brush/wipe off dirt.

2. Apply renavatour/ leather cleaner 

3. Brush + wipe down with cloth. I stop here 95% of the time; and maybe go to Step 6-7 if I can be bothered.

4. Apply a layer of shoe cream (this is really only done every 6-8 months, or if leather looks particularly dry e.g. after being out in heavy rainfall).

5. Brush + wipe with cloth. 

Protect/ Polish

6. Put a small amount of shoe polish + water on a cloth. Then apply in a circular motion to the entire shoe. 

7. Brush / wipe down with cloth.

8. Repeat step 6 on the toe cap area (mirror shine) as many time as needed to build up a mirror shine. Only adding water if the cloth is dry. You want the cloth slightly damp, but not dripping/ wet.

I must say I don't even do step 8 much anymore unless the mood takes me. 

TBH - good creams and renavatour all contain beeswax, so step 6 and 7 is probably not even necessary for "protection". I just like it because it imparts slightly more sheen/shine to the shoe compared to straight shoe polish.

Bonus tip: Use a water spray bottle to impart water on your cloth, as it gives off a fine mist. The kind you would use for ironing.  

Thanks for the tips! Yes I used a spray bottle the second round and found it more convenient that way.

Hi all. Finally I bought my first pair of proper men's shoes. Was at P. Lal last sunday. Found a nice pair of Cheaney wholecuts in -Mahogany-I think.  Luckily they had a few choices in size 8 which fitted me ok. Tried on 4 pairs of different wholecuts.

The box was labelled as samples.

So put some woly leather cream and kept overnight before wearing. Question- would using a same colored polish impart more shine then cream?

post-34757-0-79459800-1494997014_thumb.jpg

Nice shoes! They look a little loose in the 2nd picture.

How much did these set you back?

Nice shoes! They look a little loose in the 2nd picture.

How much did these set you back?

Looks fine to me.

You should see how JT wears his....

I thought they were loose because the top of the 'V' on the lacing is almost an inch apart.

Wouldn't that suggest that the shoes are too tight? In what way should I look at the shoes such that, upon seeing the V, I come to the conclusion the shoes are loose?

Loh- they cost rm 1600. The box is a plain white box labelled samples, guess why they are slightly cheaper than the black wholecut.

Yeah I didn't tie the up snugly- still learning to wear them. I have wide feet.

Another question- at the end of the day, I give them a brush down and insert shoe trees, yesterday I snugged up the laces and tied them up.

So when I wear them again -using shoe horn of course, would people untie the laces and slip the foot in or rather keep the laces tied and shoehorn the foot in. I know it sounds funny to ask a seemingly trivial question.

On another note to those who have bought shoes in UK - come September I will be in UK- will go shoe shopping for another 2 pairs. Looking at G & G or EG, would there be better selection and prices if we go to the factory?

Thanks

Wouldn't that suggest that the shoes are too tight? In what way should I look at the shoes such that, upon seeing the V, I come to the conclusion the shoes are loose?

Ah I realise the error of my comment. You are right. The shoes has to be tight in the first place for a wide 'V' to happen. That happens to my shoes as well (which are on the tight side so I end up tying the laces tighter to narrow the gap. I should have been more specific and said that the laces could be tied tighter, but that 'V' gap is just a personal aesthetic.

Loh- they cost rm 1600. The box is a plain white box labelled samples, guess why they are slightly cheaper than the black wholecut.

Yeah I didn't tie the up snugly- still learning to wear them. I have wide feet.

Another question- at the end of the day, I give them a brush down and insert shoe trees, yesterday I snugged up the laces and tied them up.

So when I wear them again -using shoe horn of course, would people untie the laces and slip the foot in or rather keep the laces tied and shoehorn the foot in. I know it sounds funny to ask a seemingly trivial question.

On another note to those who have bought shoes in UK - come September I will be in UK- will go shoe shopping for another 2 pairs. Looking at G & G or EG, would there be better selection and prices if we go to the factory?

Thanks

I usually leave my shoe laces untied before slipping them on. I wouldn't know if getting G&G or EG from their factory would be cheaper. I don't even know if they sell them right out of the factory. 

EG does sell from the factory at lower than retail, but choices are very limited.

Oh and definitely leave them untied AND use a shoehorn.

Ah I realise the error of my comment. You are right. The shoes has to be tight in the first place for a wide 'V' to happen. That happens to my shoes as well (which are on the tight side so I end up tying the laces tighter to narrow the gap. I should have been more specific and said that the laces could be tied tighter, but that 'V' gap is just a personal aesthetic.

You think the degree of "splayed-ness" of the V is at the discretion of the wearer? It is something he can influence at will?

These questions are mostly rhetorical.

You arrive at the answer by contemplating 100% of the information the pictures are delivering, instead of looking at 10% of it and coming to absurd conclusions.

Surely some of it is just plain satire. If not, that's just plain brutal. 

You think the degree of "splayed-ness" of the V is at the discretion of the wearer? It is something he can influence at will?

These questions are mostly rhetorical.

You arrive at the answer by contemplating 100% of the information the pictures are delivering, instead of looking at 10% of it and coming to absurd conclusions.

My Cleverley "lazymans" after some care last night. These had I think approx. 4-5 layers of wax applied on the toe cap. 

FullSizeRender_zpsctc7oqow.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gentlemen, after some advice if anyone has the time.

I purchased a pair of Loake suede penny loafers a few months ago and have only just got around to wearing them. I just noticed some issues with the suede which seems to to be pilling and there's a crack on the sole. Pictures attached. These shoes have never been worn and I'm wondering if someone can tell me if I should talk to the vendor (P.Lal) about this or am I just being overly fussy?

Maybe there's a way to deal with the suede but the sole bothers me as it may worsen quickly?

post-31054-0-23333500-1507533669_thumb.jpg

post-31054-0-01308600-1507533679_thumb.jpg

What appears to be a crack is just a transition in the welt, not a fault. I think it should be on both shoes.

ah yes you are correct, I see this on the other shoe although it is somewhat more tidier and less obvious. Interesting the suede on this shoe is also much better and does not display the pilling or hairyness effect as seen in the first example.

To all you true US 9D's out there, here's a crass commercial plug.

I am drastically downsizing my collection, keeping just a half dozen or so that

truly get some use.

As an aside, it's been a costly experiment to discover that double monks, no matter

how stylish, are just not my thing.

Over the next few days, I will be releasing them in small tranches, so keep an eye on The Bazaar.

The Carminas are already up, next will be some Alfred Sargent Exclusives and O'Keefe.

There's a healthy mix of leather and cordovan in everyday staple colours and styles.

Some have been worn just once or twice. The prices of these things keep going higher,

so you might be pleasantly surprised by the bargains on offer

If you are a true US9D in size, you might find something that catches your eye.

Anyone here installed metal toe taps on the front of their leather sole shoes?

Anyone in Klang valley to recommend?

Seems easy enough a job but in Msia you can never be too careful. 

I do it for all my shoes. The procedure is not complicated, its finding a cobbler with metal rather than the more common plastic taps thats the challenge.

I just think metal looks better, not sure if they actually perform better/worse than their plastic counterparts.