Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

What did you eat just now?

Fellers, im headed to Melaka for an overnight stay just to relax for a bit. Anyone have recommendations for good eats?

Thanks in advance!

+1 on kotmj suggestion...but nothing compares to Melaka when it comes to food. There's an awesome Pakistani/Indian Restoran called "Pak Putra" (doesn't sound like a tandoori restaurant at all eh!) at Kota Laksamana. The mutton ranganjosh is a killer. Everthing on the menu is awesome. Opens from 5pm onwards except mondays.

If you go further down the road, you can find an asam pedas restaurant called Asam Pedas Mona..operates in a corner lot house. Menu is very simple..white rice, tauge n a plate of your choosen asam pedas fish. Operates 6pm until early morning.

F*** i have only 3-4 meals and there seems to be too much to wolf down in a single trip. I booked the trip on a whim so i cant really explain why i chose melaka. Anyway the point is to chill out and not do too much, so location matters little.

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone. I'll shoot some pictures and eat lots on your behalf.

Hows the Melaka assam pedas compared to the JB assam pedas? The Botak assam pedas in JB is awesome. Their specialty is beside the assam pedas is fried fish.

I think the cafe in Casa del Rio is a good place to chill(at night). If you wanna chill in the daytime look up Baboon House. I like the ambience there.

Over the past few weeks

0e5902f01f5311e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Carrot Cake

08cc65161ce211e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Lucky Plaza Ayam & Fish Fillet(?) Penyet

9fe4ab021b0c11e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Carl's JR chili cheese fries

b7af254018f111e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Beef Sukiyaki @ Wisma

6a4e5704169d11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Shiok Maki @ Wisma

9e9f0ddc176a11e19896123138142014_7.jpg

Tandoori Chicken

Hows the Melaka assam pedas compared to the JB assam pedas? The Botak assam pedas in JB is awesome. Their specialty is beside the assam pedas is fried fish.

Dude.. u made me drool.. It's been 6 mths i haven't had Botak assam pedas. It think melaka assam pedas is much more liquid than Johors'. Do post pics when hv the chance.

Nonya laksa

tumblr_lw2hyv6kYQ1r45oryo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1323747334&Signature=WpHVe%2FzJZzyg5zzVODJEtX1RoHs%3D

Chendol!

tumblr_lw2hyv6kYQ1r45oryo2_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1323747330&Signature=0MvwYj5wi%2BoDvjOEb8EpGvTb1wY%3D

Peranakan feast

tumblr_lw2hyv6kYQ1r45oryo3_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1323747315&Signature=zHP7HBMnKoZhVN1T9gaQAjBtan4%3D

Thanks for the Umbai rec.. seriously good seafood but unfortunately the pictures turned out shite. We had ikan bakar (plain/grilled), tamarind prawns, calamari, kangkong, otah-otah for RM70. Nuts!!

more over the past 2 weeks

pontian wanton mee

4f11446e294011e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

qiu lian ban mian

8b6906542a1211e19896123138142014_7.jpg

mushroom chicken chop w/ crunchy potato salid (THIS IS REALLY GOOD)

b23077a427e711e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

carbonara at some french place - just nice, and not too creamy, salivating right now posting this up

9048706a270b11e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

duck confit w/ potato gratin

5a186b8e270c11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

taiwan beef instant noodles with REAL australian beef

7a3d764c261d11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

Anybody knows where I can get duck confit in KL?

I've had it twice, once at "delicious", Bangsar Shopping Centre (boleh lah), and another at Frangipani (awesome). I liked it very much at Frangipani. You won't look out of place suited-up.

The dish was crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside and was served on a bed of potatoes. Comfort food.

I am saddened by "Asam Pedas Commando". Not by its taste or service. But by its lack of being able to open on TWO random, seperate nights. Aiseh.....the Commando must be getting old. Getting there was not easy, either. Alas, I'll probably give it ONE more try.

I have a few places to go for breakfast every weekday, and one of them is a pan mee stall that makes the best pan mee I’ve managed to find anywhere. I am writing this after coming back from the stall very disappointed.

I don’t know what happened to the old man. His daughter-in-law or something was manning the stall, and she had a big lump of dough in a basin of water. I have no idea what that dough is doing in water. I know something about noodle making from having observed it and read about it. (The Japanese in particular are crazy about noodles and their recipe books have the most elaborate techniques for preparing the dough.) Hydrating a lump of dough by immersing it is completely new to me.

The bowl of noodles eventually came, and I was charged 50 sen more for it than usual.

One must always understand the fundamental challenge of whatever it is one is doing. You need to have a clear grasp of what the first order factors are before you muck around with the higher order factors. With the first order factors, it is always a goddamned war. You cannot deliver enough on them. Sometimes, the competition on the first order factors becomes so intense that people have to be creative and start putting all sorts of strange things into their products to gain a competitive advantage. This is the reason for the Reinheitsgebot in Germany that outlaws the use of anything but malt, hops, yeast and water in German-brewed beers. That way, everyone has to compete on technique alone.

In noodle making, there are two first order factors. One is the bite of the noodles. The second is the umami hit of the soup.

It turns out that dough does not have much bite by itself. To give good noodles their moderately elastic consistency requires the gluten in the dough to bind to each other, much like in breadmaking. The dough must be knead and rested in a certain way to have bite. For the Japanese, the dough takes 24 hours to make. All for the consistency.

The old man always had a good bite going in his noodles. This morning’s noodles however had absolutely none of it. That’s one first order factor gone.

Umami is a taste. If you boil soup with only a little meat, you don’t get much umami. If you use a lot of meat, you get lots of umami. I think the umami taste comes from the hydrolyzed protein in the soup.

The old man makes a soup with an umami taste like none other. It’s not the synthetic umami of monosodium glutamate either. It’s an intense ikan bilis umami. A complex and intense umami. Like none other. The soup probably uses ikan bilis granules from Maggi bought in bulk or something, and is probably not too good for you, but damn I always look forward to the umami hit I get.

This morning’s soup was bland, with a bit of synthetic umami with no discernible ikan bilis flavour. The second first order factor non-existent.

I took a few bites and left most of that mediocrity in the bowl.