634 replies to this topic

#621 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'd imagine in most parts of SEA you do get rice, no? Unless you're talking about the proliferation of china-everything these days. Quite thankful if so that fake rice hasn't reached our shores. Or hasn't been detected.

#622 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:12 AM

I was just being sardonic. I find it tragic to see others being cynical of those who literally prepare the food they put into their mouths. Tragic not for those who do the preparation but for those who do the eating. Nearly everything which makes your life possible was made others. The road you drive on was made by others. The car you drive in was made by others. The clothes you wear, the gadgets you use, the water you consume, the structure you live in ... all made possible through the labor of other people. To be cynical of the motives of others whose labor surround and penetrate you is to be cynical towards life itself. No happiness is possible this way. Just endless agitation.

#623 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

I ate again at Chef Kim. Went for a "light beef stew"; really beef ribs on the bone in own broth. Chef Kim himself debones the ribs at your table.
image_zpstxdzmmci.jpeg

I tried eating at another place a few doors away but preferred Kim.

Went to the grocery shop a few doors away and bought this.
image_zpswpsdj9q1.jpeg
Shot with the Canon 70D

And this is the same bottle as shot with the Fujifilm XM-1, which has an identical sensor to the XT-1.
image_zpsj0d5nk7e.jpeg

I should dump my Fuji stuff, but too busy to do that. Fuji is like Apple: Lots of fans who swear by it and premium priced. But it's no good. Not even the lenses are good.

#624 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

You sound like someone who is quite self aware, which is great. 

Re the bottle - which one is the original colour closer to? Top actually looks a bit saturated to me .

#625 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 22 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

The first picture is exactly how the bottle looks like in real life. The Fuji cannot handle colors at all. Not blue, not red ... nothing. Even the greens are wonky.

#626 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

Quite surprised to hear this actually! I thought the Xtrans sensors tended to reflect colours as they are, but by your comments they're instead washed out. 

These are the guys who are known to have great out of camera shots.

#627 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:58 AM

On my monitor, the white writing on the bottle in the bottom pic looks bluish, like a baby's sclera

#628 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

In the picture below, I am holding my iPad vertically with my left hand while my right hand is holding the camera with which the picture was taken. The iPad is displaying the picture of the bottle taken with the Fujifilm XM-1. To the right is the bottle, itself, in the flesh.
image_zpsjmadatag.jpeg

And in this picture, the iPad is displaying the picture I took earlier with the Canon 70D.
image_zpsjrvtuxjt.jpeg

Fujifilm has a long way to go before approaching Canon. In just about everything, even lenses. But particularly in color science. Sony has similar problems with its colors.

I have almost no use for the Fuji because I am constantly (everyday) taking pictures of clothes, of cloth swatches, of cloth-lining combinations for the tumblr, this forum, and for emailing to customers. The Fuji simply cannot render any blue, or red or green as it actually is. It's always some fucked up color the Fuji reproduces. The lenses are double the price of Canon and less well-performing. Take the Fujifilm 27/2.8 pancake. Poor minimum focus distance, poor image quality at close range, loaded with distortion which Fuji corrects in the camera, antiquated focusing drive system but USD449. The Canon EF-S 24/2.8 is USD149 but better in every single dimension. It's not even close.

#629 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Oh, the Fuji pancake also flares like stupid while the roughly equivalent Canon is very flare-proof.

#630 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:55 AM

IMG_20160711_004347_zpsn8fljuty.jpg

Some of the best things in life are also the oldest. This here is a sweet of probably ancient lineage, going far , far back in Indian history. It tastes even better than it looks. I wish I know what's it made of other than lots of sugar and ghee. I bought it from the best Indian restaurant I've ever eaten in -- I make the effort to go there when the slightest opportunity presents itself. Everything in this restaurant is very good.

#631 Cokiee

Cokiee

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

Kaju, no?

edit: or barfi.

#632 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

IMG_20170424_130203.jpg?raw=1

This morning, picked up these six loaves of sourdough bread. Had three quarters of a wholewheat loaf just now---it is excellent! The lady who bakes these does it as a side business to her full time corporate job.

IMG_20170424_130320.jpg?raw=1

Chewy crumb with a flavourful crust. I ordered three wholewheat and three rye. She also has spelt, as well as refined wheat.

IMG_20170424_130432.jpg?raw=1

#633 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

IMG_20170726_133554.jpg?raw=1

Had to kill some time while I waited for the accountant to get back from lunch. Herbal jelly, dong ding tea, and guava. Purple cane restaurant.

#634 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

I saw a Bangladeshi chewing on betelnut just now, and asked him where he got it. He brought me to a Bangladeshi grocery shop and got out a refrigerated pack of four. RM1.

I chewed on one and it was not good. Like chewing on damp wood. Also, strange taste. I couldn't see why it is popular.

Then, later, I chewed on another one.

Now, 15 minutes later, I feel like I had overdosed on caffeine or some sort of stimulant. Very awake and jumpy. My hands are jittery.

#635 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

Nausea and sweating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users