23 replies to this topic

#1 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

I'm quite primitive in this department -- all I take are Vitamic C tablets. Chewables, because I cannot swallow big pills.

I would be interested to know what you're taking that you know makes a difference.

#2 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

The staple should be sufficient. Get a decent multivitamin. I recommend something in the lines of Optimen or Ast Pro 22x (i think thats what its called). If you want additional stuff, get the sugarfree vitamin c and perhaps some vitamin B would do some good. Milk thistle is a great addition too!

#3 NoName

NoName

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

And for the alcoholics, Essentiale/Livolin forte.

#4 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Multi, Vit C and a joint supplement (glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM blend)

#5 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

I don't take any supplements even though I work in this field.
I have Megaman and Fish Oil in my kitchen which I don't really remember to take.

What I do is I prescribe vitamins according to the patients' needs.
If you get frequently sick or have frequent attacks of asthma, then vitamin C supplement is useful to increase your immune system as well as make you less susceptible to trigger factors that start off asthma.
Those older people that complain of lack of appetite or lack of energy, some B complex will help. In fact some people bring their own injectable vitamin B complex to be injected.
For those of the older population with degenerative bone disease such as osteoarthritis, calcium and glucosamine can help.
Young people who had trauma (e.g. accidents) or were active sportsmen when they were young, will also have faster rate of bone degeneration especially at the joints, I would give them calcium and glucosamine as well. I usually illustrates the problem as if you are 35 years old, your joints are already 45 years old (just a number, not to say that your bone is really exactly 10 years older than your chronological age)

What I do believe is that getting your vitamins and minerals from their natural source is more beneficial than their synthetic counterparts in pills. There are many other components that are yet to be isolated and synthesized which exists in fruits, vegetables and meats, etc, that are needed by our bodies. So a balanced diet is still superior. Of course, having said that, the food we eat outside is really a bunch of garbage with pesticides and preservatives and whatnots.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#6 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

And for the alcoholics, Essentiale/Livolin forte.

Equally important to get your liver function tested every year, to see if your liver enzyme values are going up. A good warning to perhaps cut down on those whiskeys.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#7 Style

Style

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

I take fish oil and multivitamins. Fish oil seems to really work for me, especially when I'm doing hardcore squats and some long distance running.

Pierre Hermé,
what you say is so true. Nothing beats nutrition from solid food, after all we are what we eat.

#8 uturn

uturn

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

A good dose of Tongkat Ali..just to get those blood pumping.

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

The staple should be sufficient. Get a decent multivitamin. I recommend something in the lines of Optimen or Ast Pro 22x (i think thats what its called). If you want additional stuff, get the sugarfree vitamin c and perhaps some vitamin B would do some good. Milk thistle is a great addition too!

Optimen looks like a huge tablet -- I could not even swallow Mega Man. It also contains stuff like pineapple and brocolli powders.

#10 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

A good dose of Tongkat Ali..just to get those blood pumping.

I once took tongkat ali capsules -- wow, the effect! Made me feel super alert yet very calm. Like superman. I shall not mention the other desirable effects. It's only problem is the very bitter taste (I cannot swallow tablets or capsules, so I have to sort of chew them) and the high price.

#11 Desvaro

Desvaro

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Supplements depend on two things:

1) What your goals are
2) How well are you eating now
3) Any deficiencies you might have

If your goals are to be a competitive athlete, then your supplement regime would be much different. For an average joe, fish oil and vitamin C are a staple. The rest depends on each individual. If you can't fall asleep, chances are you lack magnesium. If you are worried about your joints, then glucosamine + chondroitin + MSM would be good for you. If you can't get things 'up and going', well.......

If your diet is crap, fix that first before spending your money on supplements.

As for myself, because I'm training to be a high level athlete, I take:

1) Universal Nutrition Animal Pak
2) Fish Oil 35grams (Yes thirty five grams)
3) Vitamin C (6-8 grams)
4) Glucosamine + Condroitin + MSM

I want to add in zinc and magnesium, but the ones we get on our shores are hopeless. DO NOT get any zinc or magnesium with oxide, it is a waste of your money.

#12 Misfit123

Misfit123

Megatimer

• The Shoe Fairy
  • 476 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Equally important to get your liver function tested every year, to see if your liver enzyme values are going up. A good warning to perhaps cut down on those whiskeys.

Zin... Take note! Tsk tsk tsk

#13 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

I once took tongkat ali capsules -- wow, the effect! Made me feel super alert yet very calm. Like superman. I shall not mention the other desirable effects. It's only problem is the very bitter taste (I cannot swallow tablets or capsules, so I have to sort of chew them) and the high price.

maybe you want to try one of those tongkat ali infused coffees that abound in our local eateries?

#14 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

The amount of TA in those is like the brocolli powder in Optimen. The dosage for TA if you want to enjoy the benefits is very high.

#15 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Zin... Take note! Tsk tsk tsk

Anything in moderation is always ok.

#16 Misfit123

Misfit123

Megatimer

• The Shoe Fairy
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:02 AM

moderation is subjective.

#17 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Very true, annual check up is a must regardless what the vices are

#18 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

Supplements depend on two things:

1) What your goals are
2) How well are you eating now
3) Any deficiencies you might have

If your goals are to be a competitive athlete, then your supplement regime would be much different. For an average joe, fish oil and vitamin C are a staple. The rest depends on each individual. If you can't fall asleep, chances are you lack magnesium. If you are worried about your joints, then glucosamine + chondroitin + MSM would be good for you. If you can't get things 'up and going', well.......

If your diet is crap, fix that first before spending your money on supplements.

As for myself, because I'm training to be a high level athlete, I take:

1) Universal Nutrition Animal Pak
2) Fish Oil 35grams (Yes thirty five grams)
3) Vitamin C (6-8 grams)
4) Glucosamine + Condroitin + MSM

I want to add in zinc and magnesium, but the ones we get on our shores are hopeless. DO NOT get any zinc or magnesium with oxide, it is a waste of your money.

6-8 grams of Vitamin C is an extraordinarily high dose.

I bought Berocca today, an effervescent tablet of Vitamin B and C plus some minerals. I think my constant fatigue is due to lack of Vitamin B. We shall see.

#19 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

^^^ Too much vigorous night activities also contribute to fatigue.

On a serious note, do not overlook the effect of stress and mental fatigue. Your brain uses a disproportionate amount of energy compared to your body. I find occasionally that just by reassessing priorities and having a longer term and more optimistic outlook improves my energy levels.

One thing NOT TO DO is to stare at sharemarket prices the whole day. Very very bad for health.

#20 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

I once complained to a friend that I am always tired. He said it's because I think too much. I didn't agree with him.

I felt fabulous today. It's very late at night but I feel more energetic than most mornings. It's really the Vitamin Bs. Cannot be placebo effect, this is too real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users