Sign in to follow this  
lamergod

Hairstyling

Hey guys, been trying forever to find a good barber in Singapore. Something like those you see in Boardwalk Empire or Mad Men. Like old school men's barber

Huiyoh. Had the best barber experience just now. Was walking around near my hotel, and popped into an Indian barber. "Gunting ka mesin?" He wanted to know. After a satisfactory haircut, I was standing up to pay and leave but he pushed me back into the chair. "Masaj sikit," he said. What followed was a violent scalp rubbing, quite invigorating. Then he kinda squeezed by eyebrows. Neck, shoulder, all thoroughly kneaded. Then the arms, followed by the hands. He pulled on each finger until there was a soft "pop" from the knuckle.

I asked how much. "Tiga."

• Like 1

That happened to me too. Except I had my face covered by a hot towel and was accosted by two large Turkish men... at the same time.

I just had a bad experience with the barber last week. At my usual mamak had the bad luck of having a barber with a bad BO. Excruciating half an hour but he did quite a good shave.

Huiyoh. Had the best barber experience just now. Was walking around near my hotel, and popped into an Indian barber. "Gunting ka mesin?" He wanted to know. After a satisfactory haircut, I was standing up to pay and leave but he pushed me back into the chair. "Masaj sikit," he said. What followed was a violent scalp rubbing, quite invigorating. Then he kinda squeezed by eyebrows. Neck, shoulder, all thoroughly kneaded. Then the arms, followed by the hands. He pulled on each finger until there was a soft "pop" from the knuckle.

I asked how much. "Tiga."

Are you sure you weren't being fondled? :D

Walked past this.

http://www.weneedahero.sg/

We Need A Hero #01-86 57 Eng Hoon St., Singapore 

Another one high class barber shop like the following:

Truefitt & Hill 9 Ann Siang Road 069690

Hounds of the Baskervilles 24 Bali Lane 189860

WsQXH0D.jpg

SGD35 & up for a barber cut. SGD28 & up for a shave.

Somewhat irrelevant: SGD10 to wax your nipples & SGD25 for your crack. ^_^

6wxpGWf.jpg

^ my wife's boss ex employer turned arch enemies.

Edit: i met the owner of hounds at an event and he was quite chill. I see where he is coming from when he meant working class.

I stumbled upon the most amazing guy ever. I think he's even Malaysian or something. He has six vids up on youtube, here's one of them.

As eye-opening and immensely interesting as his vids on makeup and hairstyling are (I didn't know so much work and technique went into these things), I doubt I'll ever actually follow them (too time consuming). But some of you might.

Proof that Singaporean cash is easy.

You just need to market yourself properly as a high end luxurious service and you will see flocks begging you to take their money.

But I guess a service/product is valued at a price which the consumer is willing to pay.

My barber tucked in a corner of the ally operates on the street for $8. Phew.

I do support old men barbers all of races too. With all the 2-5 dollar saloons invading the heartlands, I suspect they might have difficulty making ends meet.

I stumbled upon the most amazing guy ever. I think he's even Malaysian or something. He has six vids up on youtube, here's one of them.

As eye-opening and immensely interesting as his vids on makeup and hairstyling are (I didn't know so much work and technique went into these things), I doubt I'll ever actually follow them (too time consuming). But some of you might.

My wife will start a drama if I touch her ironing thingy watever you call it

So now that I'm living in the country, I've been developing a relationship with this hairdresser. It's quite pointless trying to develop one in KL because they never remember who I am. But in the provinces, they know their regular customers.

He has been helping me grow my hair longer, and recently I asked him what we can do with longer hair. What's the next step?

He said to, I think, perm it. Sorry but I'm really ignorant about hairdressing. It's about heat-setting hair. I asked him how long the perm (if indeed it's a perm) lasts, and he says a perm is permanent, and that it disappears as the hair grows longer and gets trimmed.

I wonder if any of you have experience having your hair permed.

^ Perm as in, the iconic hairdo sported by such legends as Farrah Fawcett and the Bee Gees?

That was the first question I had too. What do you perm the hair into? He pointed to his own hair.

It's totally not Farah Fawcetty. I think what the perm achieves is division of the head of hair into bunches with differentiated curvatures. You'd have these bunches which have a slightly different curve from each other. The bunches are neighbouring each other, yet have divergent curves.

We're not talking about curly hair. It's a mild but noticeable curve.

Yes, there are a diversity of perms. It's just a way to shape your hair. I think many Chinese Malaysian men would benefit from a loose perm.