Sign in to follow this  
lamergod

Hairstyling

Fuuh, I went for it.

I went into the hairdresser's at 1:30 p.m. and came out at 4 p.m. Now my hair is all curly like a merino sheep. The hairdresser even took pics of my hair, the first time I ever modeled for a hairdresser.

I think it looks quite special. Would do it again.

^ I would say looks like an improvement over the perm. This style very 'garang' : fierce.

^ Use this comb + hairdryer? That's what my barber does, but blowing my hair for styling is too high maintenance for my lazy arse.

184335_1220167_HBI-184335.jpg

I had wanted to give Truefitt and Hill a go, but decided to listen to my inner hipster and went to Joe's barbershop in Plaza Rasta, TTDI for a sheer instead. I am quite impressed with the haircut (which came up to a grand total of RM20). Got a side part with faded sides and back.

Their SS15 shop is doing quite well I think, they even have a pizza shop attached!

http://eatdrinkkl.blogspot.com/2013/04/joes-kitchen-barbershop-ss15-subang.html

Smashiesjoescempedak10.jpg

I wonder if anyone from Singapore in this forum has tried Japanese Barbershops.

I personally like Azami Barber in UE square. 

Does Malaysia have such barber shops?

I tend to think that for men at a certain age (ie. me),  who have the same conservative haircut since the 90s,

the quality of the cut is less important than

• the good hairwash, basically an extended head massage.
  • a good post haircut, back and shoulder massage.
  • a good shave that the barber does not impress upon you about uselss information, like the shave cream is made of ethical, organic, cruelty free ingredients.

All these, with none of the flash, pretentiousness and cross-selling/upselling of other services (waxing, tattooing, shoe polishing, pizza?? ) of those hipster joints.

Japanese Barbershops excel in these 3 tasks. These shops are mostly patronised by Japanese men, and sometimes their male kids.

And you get a cup of green tea or coffee, after everything's done.

That being said, I recently got suckered into getting a 'plan' with 'We need a hero', so maybe i go back to my old favorite once I finish the plan.

I wonder if anyone from Singapore in this forum has tried Japanese Barbershops.

I personally like Azami Barber in UE square. 

Does Malaysia have such barber shops?

I tend to think that for men at a certain age (ie. me),  who have the same conservative haircut since the 90s,

the quality of the cut is less important than

• the good hairwash, basically an extended head massage.
  • a good post haircut, back and shoulder massage.
  • a good shave that the barber does not impress upon you about uselss information, like the shave cream is made of ethical, organic, cruelty free ingredients.

All these, with none of the flash, pretentiousness and cross-selling/upselling of other services (waxing, tattooing, shoe polishing, pizza?? ) of those hipster joints.

Japanese Barbershops excel in these 3 tasks. These shops are mostly patronised by Japanese men, and sometimes their male kids.

And you get a cup of green tea or coffee, after everything's done.

That being said, I recently got suckered into getting a 'plan' with 'We need a hero', so maybe i go back to my old favorite once I finish the plan.

What's the damage for the 1 time adventure?

Thank you.

Nothing exorbitant.. unless you compare with those $10 joints.

Japanese barber = around SGD$40+ for a wash and cut. Can't remember the exact price.

What's the damage for the 1 time adventure?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I have been using wet look hair gel for a long time. Recently I have come to appreciate the slightly greasy feel of a nicely combed bunch of hair using Brylcreem.

Anyone?

^ Brylcreem smells great (maybe coz its nostalgic), but it doesnt have enough hold for my baby fine hair. And if I slap it on in large quantities to try and increase the hold, grease becomes an issue as I have oily skin in general.  

Good and cheap product, but unfortunately, not for me.

I use a clay based product, which gives me the hold and also some much needed body to my hair. Trick is to apply it when the hair is slightly damp, then slick it back, to produce a slight sheen. If I'm attending an evening event, I'll put on a little pomade on top of that for disco shine.