Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Fineries

Bought some stuff for Drake's as a pet project on whether one can just create a website, buy and sell gentlemen related goods online and make some money.

Anyone interested in a Drake's pocket square? Retails online for 45 pounds, looking to sell it for rm280 and will deliver it to you if you are in KL for free.

post-30844-0-36510500-1487073391_thumb.jpg

Been a while. Nothing much to update. On July 1st, Vanda held a seconds sale. Bunch of ties, pocket squares. Before I arrived at 10 am,  there was already a good crowd. The announcement over at Instagram and Styleforum obviously worked. 

5NiVMIA.png

i scouted around and found this. Think it is called Rhubarb Matka on the website. This one I picked up was a custom. Never had a tie of this colour or close to it so with interested piqued, I bought it. Photographs are of my own.

HLUm1Ye.jpg

RFlFQ3d.jpg

Couple of things slightly irked me though.

1/ Gerald told me a price but when I went to pay, a higher price was quoted. I still paid because I wanted it. Thought it would have been nicer on their part just to label the price clearly on each item. Would not have taken that much work and kept a better customer experience. Many customers were unsure of the prices and had to individually inquire  or give up since there was a long line of people.

2/ Since it was a slight seconds sale, i was not expecting nice packaging. However I would have thought sewing on their labels would mean Vanda standing behind the product. It is a small effort but it actually completes the product. 

DSC02306.jpg?raw=1

Today, a batik vendor made a sales call to my place. They produce some of the most progressive designs I've seen. They make hand-drawn batik in heavy silk for use as batik shirts and pocket squares. Above is a pocket square she brought along as a sample. The sales lady is Syrian.

DSC02312.jpg?raw=1

The edges are hand rolled by a middle-aged Syrian lady. Due to the conflict in Syria, many have left for other countries. There is a sizable Syrian community in Malaysia, it seems. The company which markets this product is based in The Troika and basically collaborate with batik makers to produce these.

They are eager to produce custom designs. Pricing is ok.

Since she's Syrian and I've always wondered what the cause of the conflict there is, I engaged her in conversation about it. Basically, nobody really knows how the conflict started. There are two major Islamic factions which are warring each other, but the thing is, these people have been living next to each other for as long as people can remember. It's like Catholics against Protestants. There is a story that a small radical group (which belongs to the majority faction) captured and tortured a few people from the faction to which Assad belongs. That started the conflict. But nobody knows if that's a true story in an era of fake news.

She belongs to the majority faction. Her brothers left Syria because they did not want to fight. They cannot stay because able-bodied men must join the fight. Her brothers did not want to kill, nor be killed. The only option is to leave the country.

I said I had many years ago carefully watched an interview Assad gave to I think CNN. I kept looking at his face. I told her I do not think Assad to be a violent person. When you look at the face of a Saddam, you see a very compromised human being easily capable of mass murder. But Assad? He's a gentle person. She says it may not be Assad. His family, those around him, etc. may be the real war mongers. She says the conflict seems to have improved now and she's thinking of going home. But her brothers can't because there will be retribution on them for desertion.

Another person capable of mass murder when the context is favourable for it is Steve Jobs. You just have to look at that damned face.

Another person capable of mass murder if the situation is supportive of it is Erdogan. Just look at the face.

1777554-erdogan-1533885917-941-640x480.j

He never has an open smile. A smile that indicates genuine well-being, high spirits and kindliness. He best he could do is something like this. A half grimace.

416x416.jpg

emine-erdogan-234x194.png

Emine Erdogan, his wife. Just as compromised as the husband. Look at that face. That's when she is neutral.

Emine+Erdogan+Merkel+Erdogan+Mark+50+Yea

In this picture, you see an angel with two ghosts. Merkel has a childlike smile. The smile of a person with a light conscience who can go to her grave with a light heart.

Then you see the perpetual scowl of the two Erdogans. Heavy, dark, sinister.

52067456-56a617ab3df78cf7728b4b58.jpg

This is really not bad! Anyone who can smile like this does not have too burdened a conscience.

asma-bashar-president-al-assad.si.jpg

Assad's wife. A zillion times more evolved than Erdogan's.