kotmj

Writing instruments

have been thinking of what to give my new big boss for his coming fullmoon and since the price of gold is so high at this point of time it is very likely to be one of my fountain pens. a Montegrappa limited edition by the name of Sophia as below. like my Sailor, it is also a silver pen and yes, the box is big asssss.

img99091024x683m.jpg

img99151024x683.jpg

img99281024x683.jpg

img99311024x683.jpg

img99351024x683.jpg

img99401024x683.jpg

img99431024x683.jpg

img99441024x683.jpg

img99481024x683.jpg

img99491024x683.jpg

an extracted short write up on the sophia

"Montegrappa dedicates this precious creation to writing: a pen which, through sophisticated symbolism and the customary masterly craftsmanship, celebrates the role of writing as a means of transmitting knowledge (in Greek, sophia) and the development of human thought.On the cap is an image of the Rosetta Stone, an archaeological discovery of immeasurable importance. On it appears a single text written in three different language systems (hieroglyphics, demotic, and classical Greek). This allowed to decipher the hieroglyphics. Other symbols of Egyptian civilisation complete the decoration of the cap: samples of hieroglyphics and demotic writing, the sphinx, the pyramids and a representation of Thot, the god of knowledge to whom the Egyptians attributed the invention of writing.The barrel of the pen shows an example of Greek and a detail of Raphael’s famous fresco “The School of Athens” in which the philosophers Aristotle and Plato and the mathematician and thinker Pythagoras can be seen. Some of the 4,000 characters representing all the alphabets in the world which decorate the walls of the new Bibliotheca Alexandrina are inscribed on the barrel of the Sophia Limited Edition.The cap and barrel, made of sterling silver or yellow gold in the case of the more precious versions are decorated using the exclusive technique of burin engraving, with applications of yellow gold and pink gold (or pink gold and white gold in the case of the yellow gold version) which add relief and magnificence to the details.Sophia Limited Edition is available in sterling silver fountain pen (1200 pieces as the length in km of the Valley of the Nile)"

One of the reasons I liked the Safari is the lack of weight. The fact that some people prefer heavier fountain pens leaves me dumbfounded.

It's not cheap plastic either, but LEGO plastic. If you had accidentally stepped on one piece barefooted, you'll know what I mean.

Kotmj - "Is it this big when flaccid?"

I think all sama one la. The ink flows from the refills so they are all the same. I only use kilometrico or pilot ballpoints. :P. Rollerball i go for graf von faber castell. For ballpoints and rollerball the only real concern is the casing, i.e whether unlike ur pen light or heavy, in wood or gold etc. unlike fountain pens where the nibs can be medium, fine, broad, flexible bla bla bla. I do have a fren who doesnt like to write with anything metal so he goes for those with wood n he has quite a few GVF which i find quite interesting.

If u r a real pain in the ass like me, the smith and wesson tactical pen may come in useful, both for writing and jabbing. I mean defending urself.

How are you guys in terms of penmanship? My writing is shit. Wish it was better. Stopped a lot of handwriting after finishing my internship.

You gonna have a big problem walking through airport security with one of those.

I've always had problem with my hand writing since I was a kid, thank god for word processing.