kotmj

Luggage

What?! You got the 256 AND 220 for RM700?!

The 256 alone cost me more than that...

Anyway, I want a 220 for a short overseas trip. Hm, let me know where you got them :D

And I'm serious, sell me yours!

Why should I sell you mine? I love mine! RM700 each!

I bought the 220 from allthingsoutdoors. They don't ship directly to Malaysia so I used shipito.com as a forwarder. I have used shipito many times, good service.

Crane originally told me that they could give a 15% discount, but they never replied to my emails on how to do it, and it seems that allthingsoutdoor doesn't have any 220 in stock. It will probably cost me RM840 to have it shipped from Crane, which was what I paid for my 256.

Actually, I'm contemplating the Property Of... TOMMY TRIP BAG which is quite similar in dimension to the 220, just a tad longer and much narrower and less famous.

It cost the same as the Filson 220 (incl. shipping to Malaysia). It looks better somewhat, but I'm not keen on the nylon shoulder strap which makes it look cheap.

What do you think?

I would not do the Tommy Trip. Looks unconvincing. Barbour sells one in leather, if you're looking for an alternative.

I like the fact that my briefcase and duffel match. It is just so cool. Also, Filson has so many types of bags, so if in the future I have need for something else, they will still match.

The discount code Crane's gave me was "SECRET". However, they do not tell you if they have stock. Your oder will be accepted then it is radio silence till stock comes in and they will charge your card and send it to you. The radio silence may be a few weeks to months. You will receive no advance notification about the shipment -- you will be notified once it has been shipped.

Someone should purchase a PropertyOf bag and report back here in a year or so. I saw them on display in Sg last weekend and I really liked this. Feels solid and all but no internet assurance like a filson =/

That is a serious bigtimer duffle. But it looks great.

I personally find the bags from Beckel Canvas Co to be rather good value. They share a similar heritage to Filson. They are designed for hunting and camping and with very sturdy construction. They even make canvas accessories for horses, so you know they are serious about the outdoors thing.

Wood & Faulk out of Portland, Oregon is another great option for high-value, well-made, canvas and leather bags. It's another heritage/workwear/Americana inspired maker.

I spot a couple of problems with the Property Of Tommy laptop bag. It is padded. Ewww. It has NYLON zippers instead of the big brass zippers on Filsons. I'm pretty sure the waxed cotton is relatively lightweight unlike the till-death-do-us-part stuff Filson uses. And looking at it, there isn't all those little bits of leather reinforcements that Filson uses and which give it so much of its charm. Not to mention the synthetic strap. Also lacking is the inspired simplicity of Filson designs.

I bought the Tommy Trip bag, it came up to SGD50 cheaper than the 220,

The waxed cotton seems durable though the weaving on the 256 is much thicker, and is stiff by itself. The fabric on the Tommy Trip is stiff probably because it is waxed. The inner lining is the sort of material I see in my Timbuk2 and Crumpler bags. Don't know what it is. Strap is cotton and quite heavy, and not cheap nylon (the sort that comes with your free laptop bags) as I had previously thought...

I actually LIKE the Tommy Trip, but something really bothers me.. How do I put it... It's 'Made in China'

I'm not regretting my purchase - yet. Only time will tell.

Just curious, what do you use your 220 for?

I use my 220 every Saturday to bring my tailoring stuff to the workshop. I have my moleskine in it to take notes...

moleskine.jpg

... ruler, Shozaburo wrapped in thick canvas, an LED lamp with a clamp to help me see with less eyestrain, various pieces of trimmings, my sewing box, 1.5L water bottle, etc.

I also use it on car trips.

Yeah, the Beckels look interesting. Might kop one.

Guys, if you plan to get the Beckel do let me know.I wanna kop the briefcase for rough everyday use.maybe we can save on shipping.

Own man, just checked out the wood & Faulk.the bags are gorgeous.ok,I'm open to both if one of you guys plan to kop it.

I've got that exact one. The navy is beautiful as well.

On a side note, Matt of Wood & Faulk told me that he gets all his bags sewn by Heritage Leather Co. You can see bags with his designs but marked 'Heritage Leather Co' not 'Wood and Faulk' for sale at the multi-label retailer A Curious Teepee in Singapore. They are priced at a significant markup.

I actually emailed Matt about this and he told me that Heritage sews the bags and he sources the material and tweaks their classic designs. But it's indeed strange that it is cheaper to buy the customised version of the bag from Wood & Faulk online than buying the maker's own version.

I also have a Beckel Around Town backpack in a special olive drab colour. When I first received I was disappointed with the finishing and the seemingly flimsy construction. But I've used it for almost a year now and it looks brand-new. The thing is built like a tank and it is also supremely comfortable to carry. So, highly recommended.

I just added a War Bag and a toiletries bag which I managed to get off B&S.

How much was the shipping for your Beckel? Looks good, affordable might get one.

Chances are that they don't ship internationally.

Is the Around Town too big?

I use Singapore Post's Vpost. I think it might have been 20-30 SGD for shipping?

The Around Town is a big bag. But it's completely unstructured, so it will take the shape of whatever is in it. That is, it won't appear to be a huge bag if there are only very few items in it. Padded straps are super comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to put a heavy load in it and trek around for hours.