587 replies to this topic

#581 Dr Chong

Dr Chong

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Don't be unduly excited. In Africa aircraft parts are usually in rare supply. So when I say, I saw a dictator throwing someone out of a helicopter...it may not necessarily be airworthy or even airborne at all. I know it sounds awfully strange to Malaysians, but as a rule of thumb Africa is a continent filled to the brim with unbelievable theatrics that makes Chinese opera look like a bad rerun of Sesame Street - just to give you all an illustration of theatrics, my first concession of a 1,000 hectare Bauxite mine in Guinea was actually secured thru an emissary of Alpha Conde who was at that time vacationing in a jungle palace owned by the late Mobuto sese seko smack in the middle of nowhere! The curious thing was this emissary wasn't too interested in whether I had any mining experience...in fact, he was so enamored by my Parisian experience as a shoe artist. The ministry of agriculture and livestock actually specified in their concession agreement that I part of the agreement required me to dress shoes. I was taken to this palace which believe it or not even had a replica of the Taj Mahal and the Forbidden City, thought I never actually saw Mobuto himself. I did dress a dozen or so shoes. They were very happy with me and when I eventually left, I was even conferred the title of a Chieftain...a Shahidi. Like I said, my shoe dressing skills have opened up more doors in life than I can possibly elaborate.

#582 Dr Chong

Dr Chong

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 02:25 PM

This illustration is most instructive and perhaps even indicative of why so few individuals these days ever see the wisdom of dedicating themselves as craftsmen in malaysia and Singapore. Tailoring and shoe dressing is a craft that requires apprenticeship. But if you look at most tailors in Malaysia and Singapore, they seem to take no pride whatsoever in their craft. There seems to be no impetus to go beyond what they're accustomed to doing day in and day out. It's as if they cannot seem to discover a reliable way to prosper. Part of the reason has to reside in ignorance and a failure of imagination on the part of the customer. By this I mean where you don't have eclectic and informed public who is able to appreciate the services of the craftsmen - you are also likely to end up with people who don't mind wearing lousy mass produced shoes and only buy off the shelf clothes. Given time a sort of chelating and dumbing down is likely to occur - that is why you care to observe very few Malaysians know how to dress well. And given more time since the standard of tailoring will deteriorate further, overall the quality of dressing IQ is likely to fritter away. But if you notice it is the opposite in countries where the craftsman his art is held in high regard and esteem. In those countries where there is a critical mass of appreciators, people don't mind paying a premium for the services of a craftsman. There is pride, dignity of labor and respect...and so the spirit of the craftsman thrives and grows from strength to strength.

#583 yan

yan

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 11:06 PM

#584 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

IMG_20160615_121234_zps2pfczbhf.jpg

I realised a few days ago that instead of stuffing my pants pockets full, that a small manbag of sorts would be better for some days. Something to hold my phone, wallet, pen, clip-on sunglasses and a slim power bank. I thought of Peak Design's field pouch, which I subsequently bought (RM190). Attached to it is my Peak Design "Slide" strap. There are times when you are bag-free, and times when you have the smallest feasible bag like this, times when you carry a tote, times for a messenger/briefcase, times for duffel, and etc. It's about having the optimal tool for the occasion.

https://youtu.be/B2rVYkHaLI0

#585 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

IMG_20170905_205746.jpg?raw=1

Tenba DNA 11. The most functional compact messenger so far. Meant to be a photo bag, but transforms into a top quality messenger when you remove the padded insert. The strap is curiously comfortable. I would pick this over a Billingham. As pictured today in Sg. Kedondong. Sony A6300+Nikkor AI 105/2.5

#586 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

DSC03130-01.jpg?raw=1

It went with me to Bangkok and performed better than I had imagined it would. Sony A6300+CZJ Biotar 58/2

#587 takashi

takashi

Megatimer

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Interior shots?

#588 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:19 PM

I rate it above even the Peak Design Everyday Messenger. Which was why I bought it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users