"6"

The Denim (contrast) Thread

myjeans2.JPG?raw=1

myjeans1.JPG?raw=1

My own personal jeans. No rivets yet because everybody wants to go home. Kaihara selvedge denim, but not the low quality stuff they make for Uniqlo.

IMG_20191026_215756.jpg?raw=1

You see, almost every jeans I had would stretch in the waist as I wore it. So I had to wear a belt with it, without fail.

To solve this problem, I had the waistband fused (the white stuff). This reduces the stretch in the waistband. In the future, I may use a hard interlining just like in tailored trousers to really eliminate any stretch. The obvious advantage is that the belt becomes optional; more an adornment than a functional necessity. The jeans becomes self sufficient. This also shows off the solid copper button. 

On the decidedly non-bespoke and much more low brow end of the market, I recently picked up a pair of vintage 501s. Love the roomier and straighter fit. The waist was unfortunately a 32, which I had to alter down to a 30, didn’t come out too bad I think  

Cropped the picture to save you from my bare feet. Just imagine a pair of nice Edward Greens there.

8d416da7886fabe4e87b1e4e86abf5820aa7430a

• Like 1

IMG_20191128_151613.jpg?raw=1

Jeans-making. I bought this 8' solid oak table off Facebook marketplace for RM600 delivered. The person who sold it said it's his parents' favourite table, but they are in financial distress. I told him I'm happy to sell him back the table when he has money again. 

IMG_20191205_190352_499.jpg?raw=1

Bespoke jeans in 14.5oz Japanese selvedge denim. The waistband has been reinforced to prevent stretching, allowing wear without a belt. Below, the full-width double chamber front pocket. Cut, fitted and sewn completely on-premise. 

IMG_20191205_190352_500.jpg?raw=1

• Like 1

This past weekend, I sold a jeans in a precious Zimbabwe cotton. Then, just now following my post of the brown jeans on FB, a German customer based in Singapore told me to make him one. I think we have 5 jeans on the order book that we have to make. 

These are very early days for jeans for me. In 10 years time, it will be very different. 

6 hours ago, holymoly said:

Rhetorical question: possible to make a pair of jeans so that it passes by airport inspections without setting off the alarms? 

Of course. It can be completely metal-free. 

In Ipoh today to buy some machines. A Union Special 35800DN which I bought a few years ago for Rm6k is selling here for RM550. 

All kinds of machines, mostly for casual wear/denim. 

I even found something staggering. A button shank wrapper, famously used by Hwa Seng. RM300. 

IMG_20191216_170857.jpg?raw=1

It works like this: