"6"

The Denim (contrast) Thread

Can somebody enlighten me whats the biggie with the raw selvedge denim thing? I fail to understand whats the fuss all about or am i just too old for this shit 

The main idea is that the denim will mould its shape to your body over time, making for a comfortable fit unique to the wearer. The color will fade over time, but the fade pattern will depend on the wearer's activity, thus over time creating something which is again unique to the wearer. There are other details concerning the manufacture of the fabric (usually weaved by shutter looms), the dyeing of the fabric, the dye material, the leather patch, the buttons and rivets, chainstitching, roped belt loops, color of selvage edge, etc.

If you are an occasional wearer, and possess the usual standards of hygiene, then it would be difficult to get any good fade patterns. Some of these denim heads live and sleep in their jeans 24/7 and throws the garment into the freezer to kill bacteria.

I figure that the answer to your last question is probably the latter.

• Like 1

The appeal is easy to see. A pair of raw denim jeans gets better the more its broken in and lived in - much like a leather jacket or wax cotton jacket/ trench.

Also, construction and quality of these type of jeans are normally top notch, so for the clothing aficionado and those who value quality, there's that.

Thanks Pete and 6 for the great explanation. As i suspected im too old for this shite

Well I became interested in it as I got older so it might hit you yet!  But as you've said yourself there's a lot of hype around it and very many of the products are ridiculously overpriced.  They've gone from being reasonably priced workwear to high fashion @$250+. So kind of like Purdeys' or A&S RTW prices!   

have try the 21 oz and they have a naked and famous 32oz on display

still on the fence about the 21oz, bloody nice but make you into a tachi master, all movement become slow ...

DB4FDC6C-A2B3-4DB3-97B1-6C39568C8198-475

If it's raw denim and you want the authentic thing, I go to tuckshop and sundry supplies for the union special machine. Youngsters go to Tet's in peninsula plaza, but it's not the real deal - looks chainstitched but isn't.

No problemo. I'm due for a drinks session with them at the store on 27th Dec, you're welcome to come then if you'd like.

Anyone been to kronoz in malaysia? Thinking of paying them a visit. But its super jam in kl in the lead up to Xmas.

^i believe they are on sale now. Denim wise, not too bad, a lot of sizes for naked and famous. And very friendly staff too.