#261 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

IMG_20160824_131911_zps53r44ypz.jpg

I went up to Ipoh yesterday to visit another workshop under liquidation. This is the third garment production facility undder liquidation I've visited. The reason they were being liquidated? The non-availability of cheap foreign labour.

I had no expectations going up to the workshop. What I've learnt is that each time I deal with a business proprietor in this industry, I learn a great deal: it expands my horizons, it gives me insight into how this business shapes a person and vice versa, and I often walk away with valuable contacts/leads on suppliers and service providers. Sometimes, I even walk away with a lorryful of machines. In this case, I found that the proprietor's price expectations are very high -- he's expecting nearly full retail on his machines, which is not what I want to pay. But so I did not go to Ipoh in vain, he sold me this 5-thread two-needle overlock machine for a very good price.

I had a great conversation with the Singh proprietor as he watched me disassemble the machine and the motor from the table. He makes Tshirts and polos shirts in bulk. He gave me the contact of his cotton pique supplier.

In the picture above, you see the 5-thread two-needle overlocker next to my three-thread single-needle overlocker. They are the same Taiwanese brand, but sew different kinds of stuff. One is a general use overlocker, the other (new acquisition) is more for Tshirts and polos. The picture shows the covers of he machine open in order to make visible how dirty it is. Every crevice stuffed with compacted lint. It is half a day's work to clean them out.

#262 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:51 PM

I see no reason why Sava shouldn't do custom polo shirts. Different kinds of collars, long sleeve, short sleeve, etc. I need to do three things:

a) source the best cotton pique
b ) buy an interlock machine
c) park both the interlock machine and the 5-thread overlock machine with my shirtmaker.

Sounds so deceptively simple.

I imagine Sava would do a larger volume than JT. Reason being, JT is relevant to some people some of the time whereas Sava is relevant to all people all the time.

Do you see my thinking flaw in the above? Just like an engineer, my habitual bent of mind is to figure out how to make the product. I am seemingly blind to the fact that I can no longer be involved in the making, because there are too many things to be made. I should raise my thinking by one abstraction layer and figure out instead how to build the organisation that can make the product. But I may have no inclination nor talent in this sort of thinking.

#263 ivanswk

ivanswk

Megatimer

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:23 PM

#264 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:12 AM

All the guys in the video above are capitalists and part of the Japanese denim cartell and are responsible for blocking new entrants and price fixing. The Flat Head founder said, oh, I don't know if we are making art or clothes. Well, to provide some resolution to his befuddledness, I'm telling him he is making mass manufactured clothes. He knows it too.

Whenever the chief executive of any globally-operating enterprise say something like, oh we're making art, you know he's lying through his teeth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users