208 replies to this topic

#1 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

This is a thread to discuss living spaces. Feel free to start any discussion on topics related to interior design, lighting, furnishing and home/home office concepts.

I'll start with a talk about plants for the home.
http://www.ted.com/t..._fresh_air.html

#2 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

A topic close to my heart right now. Lots of good mid century furniture available here in london town. Ive been going nuts hunting for pieces.

(null)

#3 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:21 AM

Dude, go to the yard sale or the flea market out of town. Never appreciated it before but would love to do it now

#4 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Mid century chairs, even very pedestrian ones, tend to have upholstered spring suspension seats. If only they knew what equivalent chairs have become today, a piece of MDF with half an inch of low density foam.

#5 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

Unreal. Illy "boutique".
Posted Image

#6 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

My taste is probably too esoteric for most.

My home: Think gentleman's club. Think old world. Think colonial. Think woody. Think grand bookcases and hidden rooms.

Would love to have friends over to enjoy a good smoke, read a good book, or have a good conversation. I will not have a television at home.

I intend to have a hidden room (entry via a book case or something similar). Been speaking with contractors abroad and how I can go about implementing my ideas.

See -- http://hiddenpassageway.com/gallery/

The rooms will not look like that. They will look darker, more woody, and more old world than these. I don't have digital photos since most of the pictures are in books like The Gentlemen's Clubs of London by Lejeune.

UPDATE -- here's one that I really like -- http://anuntitledadd...ost/38019508426

Examples of the living room
Posted Image

Example of a study room
Posted Image

Hidden room
Posted Image

#7 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:57 AM

I also really admire a Malaysian architect. See Kevin Low's webpage, particularly his work on the British India factory etc.

Amazing stuff. Spoke with him regarding building my home.

http://www.small-projects.com/

#8 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

Interesting. It's not that esoteric -- I still see people furnishing this way in the UK in mags like Home & Garden.

Have you read the work of Christopher Alexander?

My own taste run towards airy, light-filled spaces with tall ceilings.

One of the features I find in old houses in Malaysia that you do not find in Europe is the air well. I think every house which can have one, should have one. I keep imagining myself sitting by the side of an air well (which is a sort of interior garden) reading newspapers in a reclining rattan chair, except that I do not read local papers so it's moot.

Posted Image

http://www.thamsiewinn.com/gallery.htm

#9 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

Probably too esoteric for the younger generation and Asians, I think. A lot of people in Asia don't really appreciate a home like this. They prefer more modernistic stuff. Not that that's bad, I just don't like it as much, though I do have some futuristic stuff. I bought this AK-47, for instance 5 years ago. Still in the box. Unused. LOL

http://mydeco.com/p/...CFSHHtAodCGIArQ

Would be hard to have an air-well abroad. Far too cold during winter, probably. You need that much natural light, huh? Lol.

It's probably going to be very difficult to buy a place with high ceilings in Singapore, given the land scarcity, and if one buys a condominium/HDB. Still, the pro is that there's less renovation to do, and one spends less money on furnishing.

What do you think about a secret room though? I've always fantasized about that when I was a boy. Contractors tell me that you can even get a clock door that opens when you turn the hands to a specific time (right out of Batman)!

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/hidden-passageway1.htm

#10 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

If you read Christopher Alexander, he says ceiling height variation is essential for inhabitants to feel comfortable. Which explains the suppressiveness of open plan offices which have the same ceiling height everywhere.

I don't know how secret a secret room would be. Everybody who lives with you or who visits with any regularity will find out about it. They will be curious and will give you grief about what it is you are keeping secret in there. They will think you have some non-kosher stuff in there. The maid would have to clean it. Christopher Alexander does write about a room for oneself, a place that is private, for a person to retreat into, to enjoy his own company.

Having had to live with housemates through my student days with mixed success, I came to the conclusion a long time ago I needed the whole house to myself. I've always had the whole apartment to myself since I started working, and really enjoy it that way. I would hate sharing the place. I hate the noise others generate, in particular the TV which they like to keep running in the background to generate white noise which results in my having to endure the screams and wails (like humans being butchered alive) of Malay drama, etc. Unlike most normal people, I hate noise and need the silence to think. Most people do not think, they are afraid to think too much so they need noise to stop themselves from confronting their thoughts.

So for me, a room for oneself is not suffiicient. I need something the size of a studio apartment, fully equipped (kitchen, gym, bath, etc), all to myself, completely private, to feel at ease.

Something completely unrelated: I'm thinking of buying a filing cabinet. Never thought I'd come to buy such a thing. It's to store the paper patterns, they're becoming a bit unmanageable. It's more romantic to hang the things by hooks, but exposed like that they are vulnerable, take up more space, easy to catch fire, easy to get wet, collect dust, etc.

http://www.ikea.com/...ducts/10176070/

#11 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

I totally agree with everything kotmj has said, and I'm also a massive fan of filing cabinets. Have you read David Allen's Getting Things Done, kotmj?

#12 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Hidden room
Posted Image

Wow, a secret doorway to Monsieur boys' boudoir.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#13 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

I found a fantastic box!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

I totally agree with everything kotmj has said, and I'm also a massive fan of filing cabinets. Have you read David Allen's Getting Things Done, kotmj?

Are you a fan of filing cabinets in the context of storing patterns or do mean to say you use filing cabinets a lot in your own life? Haha! I ask because I have never used one before. Do you have a favourite brand/model?

Yeah, I read GTD when I was writing my Masters thesis and suffered from debilitating procrastination.

#15 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

I found a fantastic box!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I saw this at Muji today.

#16 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

I saw this at Muji today.

Bah.

#17 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Calling BDC calling BDC please continue the discussion over here.

I started cooking because it was unhealthy for my son to eat outside food, and simple home cooked food beats any expensive restaurant hands down, because it is catered to your own taste. My simple dishes cooked with gourmet ingredients beat any restaurants hands down. Cooking must be done with passion and not as a chore.

Regarding knives I am a huge fan of KAI and since they are readily available here. I will be buying a Fujioh hood and Rinai inner flame hob, which I find the most suitable for Asian cooking styles. Sealed pans like the Korean Happy-Call is extremely popular with housewives here as it really can save time cooking the entire meal in one go. I use that when I don't want my laundry to smell of steak or salmon.

My wife is forcing me to buy a Cleanlady stainless steel kitchen but I rather do carpentry and use good moving parts from Hettich or Blum. This way I can customise the look as the Japanese designs are too sterile for my taste.
I foresee major disagreements over furnishing choices. Thus I need to stock up more Scotch to regain my sanity.

My idea was to put up a display cabinet to showcase my drinking glassware and alcoholism. But my wife finds it a disgrace she have an alcoholic spouse so that didn't turn up too well. Having a young kid at home who is like a bull in a china shop means I have to find a cheap source of disposable stoneware instead of porcelain. Or I could go follow the Koreans and use steel utensils which are indestructible.

Moral of the story: Don't get married, don't have kids.

#18 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

My taste is probably too esoteric for most. My home: Think gentleman's club. Think old world. Think colonial. Think woody. Think grand bookcases and hidden rooms. Would love to have friends over to enjoy a good smoke, read a good book, or have a good conversation.

Seems like your den is a good place for the SG chapter clubhouse. I could imagine BDC wearing his smoking jacket and velvet slippers :)

#19 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

But my wife finds it a disgrace she have an alcoholic spouse so that didn't turn up too well.

Moral of the story: Don't get married, don't have kids.

Aww, come and lie down on this black leather couch and tell me about your childhood.

#20 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:57 PM

I think displaying all the different spirits and whiskeys can make for a good decor tbh. Yes, I've heard of Kai and Shun. How much are they.

Let's talk abt how much say you have at decorating the home. Does your wife dictate the decor?

And Pierre Herme, here' how taxidermy is displayed. It used to be displayed after hunters killed wild game, thus they're known as hunting trophies.

Posted Image

http://www.hiddeninf...lle-taxide.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users