• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#21 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

Will try post pictures of my latest hauls but here are some. A lot of it are in boxes because my family already has china and that's for my new home.

Vintage airline cart from Air France and a candle wax bust from Cire Trudon. Glass dome from England.

Posted Image

That's part of the Royal Copenhagen blue-fluted china in the picture below. Can be purchased here.

Phrenology bust next to it, with Bang & Olufsen speakers (bass is bad -- bought it from a friend when he was relocating). That's my room's study table. A little cluttered.

Posted Image

For the library -- leather-bound books and a vintage edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica

Posted Image

For the dressing room. Self-exaplanatory. Have since purchased another butler stand. Will donate this present one.

Posted Image

Had a huge shelf made up as well, but sadly, it no longer fits into the aesthetics of the new home.

Posted Image

Room study table is modelled after a mid-century design by Eames. Again, it won't fit into the aesthetics with the new home :(

This table below is the real deal, but my reproduction looks the same

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spanish roast-chicken with chorizos

Posted Image

#22 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

Aww, come and lie down on this black leather couch and tell me about your childhood.

Does the shrink provide single malt whisky.

I didn't track the prices but they can be found at any Japanese departmental store. I would wait for a sale to hoot them. There is a wholesaler showroom at the shophouses behind Bugis and its near BHG too so you can compare prices. Same wholesaler sells a wide range of Japanese appliances like the tiger and elephant brand stuff, cultery, etc.

For really cheap stuff can wait for the Sia Huat clearance sale, they are the supplier to all the hotels and restaurants here.

My wife have poor taste in furnishing and she would want to dictate the bedroom and the kitchen, saving grace is the kids room is done to my son taste with my advice and I have the study to convert into my den of vice.

However the living / dining hall is the place where war is going to break out ...

#23 Pierre Hermé

Pierre Hermé

Megatimer

• Members
  • 511 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur/ Paris (once a year during Roland Garros)

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:35 PM

And Pierre Herme, here' how taxidermy is displayed. It used to be displayed after hunters killed wild game, thus they're known as hunting trophies.

Posted Image

http://www.hiddeninf...lle-taxide.html

Nice Monsieur BDC, Deyrolle is really one of the more unusual places in Paris. I did not have time for that last year though. So have to put that down in my itinerary next time.
Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

#24 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

I checked with another cooking male friend he told me the cheapest Aga stove in SG cost 15k sgd while it cost 4+k pounds in the UK. 15k is half my reno budget. Kinda extravagant to blow it on a stove when I seldom cook.

#25 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

Check out the Freitag Berlin store and IC Berlin's flagship store for some really nice minimalist, relatively low cost, and textured commercial interiors. Easy to port some of those ideas over to homes as well.

EDIT: Doh, I forgot to mention, it's IC Berlin and Mykita that started the trend of using airline cabinets as furniture. IC Berlin's ones are all Malaysia Airlines... disturbingly.

#26 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Smegg?

#27 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

I like that crane-like thing (Nat Geo in Singapore has smth similar). I was searching for smth similar before I decided on a more classic style. I still like the industrial/minimalist look, but for design coherence, I've dropped the idea.

http://assets.inhabi...lin-store-1.jpg

I once toyed with the idea of having each room decorated differently -- I think I'll just port all the industrial and modern stuff to the future kid's/or guest room. The rest of the home will just be classic.

#28 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Boys: If you can see the pictures of the Freitag basement, check it out. The interplay of stairs, storage and display is really cool.

#29 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

Calling BDC calling BDC please continue the discussion over here.

I started cooking because it was unhealthy for my son to eat outside food, and simple home cooked food beats any expensive restaurant hands down, because it is catered to your own taste. My simple dishes cooked with gourmet ingredients beat any restaurants hands down. Cooking must be done with passion and not as a chore.

Regarding knives I am a huge fan of KAI and since they are readily available here. I will be buying a Fujioh hood and Rinai inner flame hob, which I find the most suitable for Asian cooking styles. Sealed pans like the Korean Happy-Call is extremely popular with housewives here as it really can save time cooking the entire meal in one go. I use that when I don't want my laundry to smell of steak or salmon.

My wife is forcing me to buy a Cleanlady stainless steel kitchen but I rather do carpentry and use good moving parts from Hettich or Blum. This way I can customise the look as the Japanese designs are too sterile for my taste.
I foresee major disagreements over furnishing choices. Thus I need to stock up more Scotch to regain my sanity.

My idea was to put up a display cabinet to showcase my drinking glassware and alcoholism. But my wife finds it a disgrace she have an alcoholic spouse so that didn't turn up too well. Having a young kid at home who is like a bull in a china shop means I have to find a cheap source of disposable stoneware instead of porcelain. Or I could go follow the Koreans and use steel utensils which are indestructible.

Moral of the story: Don't get married, don't have kids.

Global knives are great, or so I heard. I almost bought one, but went with hand forged.

Getting kitchen stuff used to be a hobby, but I'm so busy nowadays I no longer have a hobby. I got myself a cast iron gas stove, the big ones that chaw kway teow hawkers use. The energy output is like that of a space shuttle at takeoff.

#30 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I was exploring buying a sashimi knife. Costs a bomb man. Maybe flying to Japan to get it wld be ideal.

There are choppers from Taiwan that are made out of bomb fragments, reputedly good for chopping through bones etc

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Kinmen_knife

#31 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:15 PM

I've read about Kinmen a long while back. The best Chinese Chef's knives are actually made in Malaysia, surprisingly. Brand 55, used by all fine chicken rice shops. I have bought a few over the years. Better made than the celebrated Chan Chee Kee of HK.

Here's my hand forged gyuto
Posted Image

#32 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

WAHHHHH. Where you buy that?

#33 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Might pm you later. Don't want to start a rush on this young blade smith.

#34 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

The santoku knife is useful for general kitchen work. This one knife is all you need in a minimalist kitchen. Price range for a good santoku knife ranges from $30 to $100 and up.

Due to space constraint I would just buy a baby belling instead of a full size mounted oven. No point buying a Miele when baking is done once in a blue moon.

Kitchen real estate is a premium in the new public housing projects, I might just do a galley design.

#35 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

That is a beauty. The only blade smith I know is Jason Brous from the US but he makes knives for slicing people rather than food. His crafts are all works of art.

#36 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just asking is it feasible to have a classical interior within small spaces or should I just keep in simple with modern minimalist.

#37 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Thomas Chippendale chair

http://en.wikipedia....mas_Chippendale

Posted Image

#38 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

Petia -- Check out a couple of pictures I posted on the first page. What do you think?

#39 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

What all the photos you posted have in common. 1 central focal point and the room is arrange in near symmetry around the pivot. For example the fireplace and painting, the regal desk, the opening in the bookshelves. And the ceiling is very tall, suitable for hanging chandeliers and game trophies etc. When you have the luxury of space, the possibilities are only limited by your creativity.

Does your missus share your love for classical interiors?

#40 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

That's very sharp of you Petia. I read a home decor book on English decor arrangements and there is usually a central focal point in an Englush home, and it's typically the fireplace or a mantelpiece.

In Asia, it's typically the television. I do not intend to have a television because I don't watch tv at all.

You're also right about the high ceiling. At my parents, and my grandparents' homes, the ceilings are very high and both of them have chandeliers suspended. I think condos and hdbs do not have Tt luxury. Correct? Can you hang a chandelier on the ceiling of your home?

The missus likes classic stuff, yes. Influenced by me no doubt. She doesn't like the exotic stuff like animal trophies etc because she thinks it's cruel and that it looks gory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users