Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Garment maintenance

On 3/26/2017 at 10:33 AM, NoName said:

I have the Silverstar. It cuts down ironing time significantly compared to the household irons thanks to the steam and weight. But u have to get used to the water hose from the water tank to the iron, a nuisance since movement becomes limited. 

Finally got the Silverstar about a month back. Excellent results pressing pants and putting in a crease, but I am not getting good results ironing shirts.

I got frustrated and switched back to my Tefal steam iron last night, and I just realised how much hotter the Silverstar is, even with the Tefal set to max. So I'm thinking I was simply using a too high heat on the Silverstar, to the point that the fabric of the shirt doesn't cool enough as I move the shirt around, and 'forgets' the ironing it has received.

So what setting do you use on the Silverstar for shirts? I was using 4. Or do you also have a vacuum board that you use with it?

My sperate resevoir steam iron just has this one "auto" setting. Either on/off.

Do you find some cloth type harder to iron out the wrinkles on the shirt?

On 2/28/2018 at 11:59 AM, niakulah said:

Finally got the Silverstar about a month back. Excellent results pressing pants and putting in a crease, but I am not getting good results ironing shirts.

I got frustrated and switched back to my Tefal steam iron last night, and I just realised how much hotter the Silverstar is, even with the Tefal set to max. So I'm thinking I was simply using a too high heat on the Silverstar, to the point that the fabric of the shirt doesn't cool enough as I move the shirt around, and 'forgets' the ironing it has received.

So what setting do you use on the Silverstar for shirts? I was using 4. Or do you also have a vacuum board that you use with it?

Highest temperature + just continuously press on the steam button as I iron the shirt. No idea what's a vacuum board, using a cheap metal based ironing board from Ikea.  

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Highest temperature + just continuously press on the steam button as I iron the shirt. No idea what's a vacuum board, using a cheap metal based ironing board from Ikea.  

Ok. And you don't need to wait for the section to cool down before you move to the next section?

7 hours ago, NoName said:

Just tried this, didn't work for me. Here is my JT shirt immediately after ironing.0_0_0_20180301_232709.thumb.jpg.bfaab4c4655ed34052344210526bc7ce.jpgme

14 hours ago, kotmj said:

I use a spray bottle/mister.

Yes I did before too. I get best results with a lot of water and my Tefal on max temp.

I still think my Silver Star is too hot. I might try it on minimum next week.