Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Garment maintenance

Try asking your tailor. Sometimes, they might do it for a very small charge. I read somewhere that somebody sent their Iris coat for dry-cleaning and brought them back to Nani for her to press.

Sorry have to ask some stupid questions I have two pants made

1. Wool poly blend 60/40

2. Wool cashmere blend percentage unknown

Are these safe to hand wash or only dry clean?

In Singapore I've asked Jeffrey to press it for me after dry cleaning. But since I got a massive 'prosumer' iron here in London, I've pressed them myself to good effect.

I have a steamer at home, I try to keep them clean and occasionally steam them. And not wear them when there is a chance of sweltering heat. Jeeves factory is very near my workplace I can send them for dry cleaning if need be.

Sorry have to ask some stupid questions I have two pants made

1. Wool poly blend 60/40

2. Wool cashmere blend percentage unknown

Are these safe to hand wash or only dry clean?

I've been involved in this whole clothes thing for years now, and am now part of the trade, and till today I do not understand "hand wash". How does one hand wash anything? I can see how sweaters can be hand washed, but everything else...

I have a customer who obviously have his trousers laundered by his maid. They are these wool-poly blends he had made by Rossi in SG. When I look at his trousers, it is obvious they have been cleaned in water+detergent. The cloth looks dry and exhausted and old, but not objectionably so, especially in light of the sheer convenience and hygiene of home laundry. He told me he thinks he is growing taller with each year, going by the hem of his trousers. I told him the trousers shrink with each wash in the machine. This is news to him. I could see it was an Aha! moment for him.

He told me he thinks he is growing taller with each year, going by the hem of his trousers. I told him the trousers shrink with each wash in the machine. This is news to him. I could see it was an Aha! moment for him.

LOL! HAHAHHAAHAHHAA. Hilarious.

I'm very concerned about having my suits pressed. Used to be able to have them sponge and pressed in London, but I brought back a lot of suits and quite a few were crushed. I'm reallllllllly apprehensive about sending them to dry cleaners in Singapore.

Am running out of wardrobe space. Heck. I've run out of wardrobe space to hang my shirts and suits up already. Should switch all the shirts to metal hangers instead of wooden ones, so they take up less space. The Kirby suit hangers are also taking up a lot of space because they're curved.

Here are a couple of hangers that come with my suits. Chan gave me that travel plastic hanger with that extremely useful trousers holder, whilst tailors on the Row hand out suits with sized wood hangers.

photo6_zps9adc9cfe.jpg

photo7-4_zpsf974f00a.jpg

photo8-2_zps275dd798.jpg

photo5_zps59c2ca85.jpg

I was thinking of the other way round getting thicker cedar wood hangers. Planning for a bigger wardrobe for my own needs. Do a wall rack from Howards Storage in my den for my clothes.

I've been involved in this whole clothes thing for years now, and am now part of the trade, and till today I do not understand "hand wash". How does one hand wash anything? I can see how sweaters can be hand washed, but everything else...

I have a customer who obviously have his trousers laundered by his maid. They are these wool-poly blends he had made by Rossi in SG. When I look at his trousers, it is obvious they have been cleaned in water+detergent. The cloth looks dry and exhausted and old, but not objectionably so, especially in light of the sheer convenience and hygiene of home laundry. He told me he thinks he is growing taller with each year, going by the hem of his trousers. I told him the trousers shrink with each wash in the machine. This is news to him. I could see it was an Aha! moment for him.

So what you mean is, anything with wool (pure, or blended) in it should be dry cleaned and not "hand washed"?

But why do you think only sweaters can be hand washed? even if its a wool sweater?

With wool sweaters you immerse them in this water+wool detergent mix, let them soak, and gently swirl around before laying on a cotton towel to dry.

How does one hand wash trousers? Huh? Shirts. How? With washboards? With a brush in the hand, huh? This is 2013 man. How is that superior to the washing machine?

Wool felts when agitated in water which is what causes the shrinkage.

My Neapolitan tailor taught me how to wash my fragile shirts. I now wash them after a single wear w/o any adverse effects.

I just rub detergent on the collar and cuffs, and on any stains, soak them overnight in a pail of soapy water, and line dry them thereafter. Rub the collar with my hands if need be.

Only hassle is the ironing.

My wife bought for me some fancy "nano stain remover stick" which is just mainly coconut oil and glycerin based soap. I rub it on my shirts collars where the sweat stains and proceed with hand wash with woolite.

Besides Atsko Sport Wash / Penguin sport wash (both exactly the same thing but Pengiun is more expensive) Woolite is the 2nd most water soluble detergent, ie after rinsing off do not leave residue on your garments. Sportwash is overpriced in Singapore and Woolite can be easily bought in supermarkets.

I hand wash my dark denim to ensure they remain dark as long as possible. Also I have a couple pairs of pants that says Hand Wash only. I just soak for a few minutes and rinse off and hang dry. I do not trust the women in my home, they will dump their clothes into the machine when I use it, often accidents happen like someone garments dyed the entire batch of clothes bright pink.

My Neapolitan tailor taught me how to wash my fragile shirts. I now wash them after a single wear w/o any adverse effects.

I just rub detergent on the collar and cuffs, and on any stains, soak them overnight in a pail of soapy water, and line dry them thereafter. Rub the collar with my hands if need be.

My shirts are washed in the same manner.

• Like 1

My wife bought for me some fancy "nano stain remover stick" which is just mainly coconut oil and glycerin based soap. I rub it on my shirts collars where the sweat stains and proceed with hand wash with woolite. Besides Atsko Sport Wash / Penguin sport wash (both exactly the same thing but Pengiun is more expensive) Woolite is the 2nd most water soluble detergent, ie after rinsing off do not leave residue on your garments. Sportwash is overpriced in Singapore and Woolite can be easily bought in supermarkets. I hand wash my dark denim to ensure they remain dark as long as possible. Also I have a couple pairs of pants that says Hand Wash only. I just soak for a few minutes and rinse off and hang dry. I do not trust the women in my home, they will dump their clothes into the machine when I use it, often accidents happen like someone garments dyed the entire batch of clothes bright pink.

Just do it the way Residentdandy and I do it, you shldn't need any fancy nano-stick or what not. The most effective and fuss-free way of washing a shirt ever.

This is good. Thanks.

Youtube has some good ironing videos. I iron a shirt every night and with practice, it becomes easy and i can do it under 5 mins now.

Is the shirt rinsed after the soak in soapy water?

I basically dump all light-coloured clothes in the washing machine, put detergent, let WASH, then let soak for a day or so. Then I let it go through a whole cleaning cycle, which includes spin dry. Then hang to dry.

Yup. Rinsed. The Neapolitan shirts are too fragile for such a harsh washing method.

Steamed my suit with this iron!

Should I not have done that to my suit?!

photo21_zps6c47e379.jpg

Errr...no. Bring it to Jeeves or something. Hey, take a pic of the contents of the cupboard.

Just to indulge you.

My stuff is packed away at my grandparents' home, my parents' home, my GF's home, and my place in London. Here's a couple of suits hanging out.

I've no space to hang my suits in my funky wardrobe that is an industrial locker, so I had a steel pipe installed so I cld maximize space. Have had that pipe reinforced a couple of times because it can't hold up the weight of the coats. Thus, I can only hand a few suits on them.

Shirts are in those cupboards, with two suits in there, the A-Man one as well as an Iris coat. Crushed.

photo23_zpsa02bd202.jpg

photo26_zpse2f10c71.jpg

• Like 1