Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Garment maintenance

How do you know the price?! Dude.

Do you steam your suits?

Laura Star is usually featured in those home decorating conventions they have here in KL, one of those expensive home things they do demonstration during those fairs.

Bonjour, je m'apelle Pierre Hermé (avec accent aigu é).

Pierre Herme: I thought of getting one for my new home but it'll be a little too modern for the decor. Am hunting ard for a huge oak cupboard. Or I might turn one of the rooms into a dressing room like what Vox did. But we'll see.

Petia -- suit hangers are huge, makes sense to hang them out so I can maximize the space in the cupboards for shirts :)

Am going to invest in a good new iron for my shirts and trousers. Which would be a good one to get? I have some incredibly difficult to iron linen shirts and also fine poplin shirts. Cheers.

You looking for the professional grade or home appliance grade. Professional grade I never see sell in retail shop.

For home applicance grade you can look for Rowenta at CK Tangs/harvey norman/courts or Panasonic at Mustafa Center/any applicance shop (yes I buy EVERYTHING from Mustafa)

Currently I am using 1200 Watts 10amp Panasonic and I only use the max settings with half steam level. I complement the steam with a hand held spray bottle. Lazy to refill the iron as the water tank is small. I also have a special mesh to iron my pants so they dun go shiny on me.

Rowenta have higher wattage iron for example 1700 Watts is dangerously close 14.2amp to the 15amp limit of a power plug, make sure the circuit is not shared with other high power consumption appliances like Aircon (by law is separate 20amp), Induction cooker, Refrigerator.

Anything higher wattage is against the law if you stay in public housing. You wouldn't want to turn your block into a towering inferno. I am not sure of private homes what is the legal requirements for power.

Off the topic, I want a trousers press so much.

Thats one expensive iron you have there

The annual cost of maintenance and depreciation of the Laura Star is more expensive than my iron :(

I use the 200 series which is the cheapest of their steam iron. No fancy features, take a while to heat up. Steam capacity is weak, need to recharge often if full blast. Calcium scaling from tap water after a couple years of use. Small water reservoir and you have to empty the tank after each use. The more expensive models are the exact same iron except for added fancy features like retractable cord, etc

I bought at Mr M for 15 bucks back then, been a few years and still going strong. Made in Malaysia two thumbs up for quality manufacturing. I hear stories of lesser brands going kaput in a year or use.

Am going to invest in a good new iron for my shirts and trousers. Which would be a good one to get? I have some incredibly difficult to iron linen shirts and also fine poplin shirts. Cheers.

Do you mist your shirts before ironing?

I think all the modern ones are good. I think the Teflon coating is necessary because it reduces wear during ironing. I do not find linens or fine poplins difficult to iron if given a misting beforehand.

Took possession of four suit hangers yesterday. I was a little concerned that it might not fit my coats because Emeritusmentor had a problem with his. Glad that it isn't the case.

I think Kirby's polished hangers contour and fit the coat better than do the hangers made by Butler Luxury. The ends of Kirby's hangers are wider and thus provide more support. There's also a more pronounced curve that supports the shoulders of the coat better. My GF likes the finish of Kirby's hangers, but the Butler Luxury ones feel heavier and more expensive.

photo6_zpsb6afed9e.jpg

photo5_zps3150ff23.jpg

I think I shldn't need any more new suit hangers.

Nice varnish on the suit hangers. I use cheap muji plastic suit hangers for my jackets. Maybe upgrade to their cedar wood ones when I have a proper jacket done.

I was out for lunch with my colleagues and my new shirt will splattered with drops of chili oil. An elderly lady cleaner had drop some dirty dishes and saucers full of chili oil rebounded into the air and they exploded onto the back of my shirt. I didn't want to kick up a big fuss as it may get the cleaner into trouble so I rushed home to change into another shirt.

I remember what I learnt in this thread and rubbed some detergent onto the stains, it was hard work due to some many tiny spots all over. Soaked the garment into a pail of soapy water. Came home later, few of the spots are still quite visible, rubbed even more detergent and used a scrub on the stains. After a few minutes of extra work the stains finally came off. Except for a couple of stubborn spots had faint marks.

On the other hand one of my french cuff shirts decide to turn yellow in the wardrobe after neglecting to wear it for a while. The stain is quite stubborn and unable to be removed.

Bleach works very well with tough discolourations and chili oil. Soak shirt in a dilute bleach solution (not too dilute) until the stains disappear. It will cause some slight fading of the shirt but that's a small price to pay.

• Like 1

Any idea what causes the random yellow stains on the shirts? Are those sweat stains not washed properly or due to humidity levels in the wardrobe?

I am using my wife's red velvet lint brush for my non suit pants but I am in a need of a clothes brush, is there any alternatives to Kent Clothes Brushes?

I was thinking of using either a nylon bristle barber brush or a horsehair shoebrush instead. Will these work as well? What do you gentlemen use to brush your suits?

Kent brush, works like a charm. Cost a bit more, your assured that 200 years of experience and knowledge in brushes went into creating that brush. Bought the cheapest one, still damn good.

On the other hand one of my french cuff shirts decide to turn yellow in the wardrobe after neglecting to wear it for a while. The stain is quite stubborn and unable to be removed.

Have you tried a soak in an oxygen [peroxide] based bleach? These will not damage the fibres like chlorine. Try a 6 hour soak in one like Vanish or the own-brand equivalent and see if it shifts.

Thanks Monsieur Zinzan for the advice, I decided to buy this, it seems like the most popular brush, besides the double sided CC20. For such a low price, I suspect is seconds. 17UKP plus free delivery.

http://www.feelunique.com/p/Kent-Mahogany-Clothes-Brush

Kent_Mahogany_Clothes_Brush.jpg

Kent Mahogany Clothes Brush - CP6

A cashmere care clothes brush, made from mahogany and black and white soft bristle.

Suitable for gently removing hair and fluff from cashmere clothes without damaging the material.

• Like 1