Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Garment maintenance

Pet, that looks pretty good.i bought cheaper 1 than that. Good stuff, now I prob sent my suit to the dry cleaners twice a year.

^ when I was much younger, I recall the departmental stores uses nice wooden hangars like these.

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to Muji cedar hangers and came across this.

8787169833_be2d464cc1.jpg

Most likely factory seconds but for RM20, I'm not complaining.

anyone know how to care for your more expensive cotton and linen trousers? how would you normally clean them? dry clean, hand wash or just throw them in the wash?

anyone know how to care for your more expensive cotton and linen trousers? how would you normally clean them? dry clean, hand wash or just throw them in the wash?

I would hand wash them. So far I don't experience shrinkage in linen.

• Like 1

I would hand wash them. So far I don't experience shrinkage in linen.

If its expensive I would dry clean it. Hand washes always risk shrinkage.

I mean what more is a few dollars when you alrdy spent so much making it up?

If its expensive I would dry clean it. Hand washes always risk shrinkage.

I mean what more is a few dollars when you alrdy spent so much making it up?

Doesn't dry cleaning destroy the fibres of your cotton/linen much faster? i'm curious to know if hand washing it in preference to dry cleaning has its advantages/disadvantages aside from cost...

Doesn't dry cleaning destroy the fibres of your cotton/linen much faster? i'm curious to know if hand washing it in preference to dry cleaning has its advantages/disadvantages aside from cost...

Yes it does, but I only dry clean the pants after several wears (assuming that you dont wear the same pair daily or that it doesnt smell/look dirty).

It does but still last a couple years and I dry clean after 3-4 wear not jackets . Our weather is hot and I like it clean.

9222-02-lifestyle1_lg.jpg

Got me one of these bad boys and after experiencing it for a few months, I can say its the best iron I've ever used. Since u don't have to lug around a water-laden iron (the water tank is static), its much lighter. I also love the fact that the tank plugs into the AC outlet, but the iron connects to the tank - no more cord-length issues.

Wow your ironing setup is so organised. What board do you have? I have a 'prosumer' Phillips with a pressurised tank and a Leifheit. But I feel the Leifheit is too low. Looking for board recommendations. 

I must have misled you, Joonian. That's an online pic of my iron. My iron is a Philips PerfectCare Expert which came with its own ironing board (identical to the one shown in this pic). I checked - it only has Philips' branding on it. I'm about 178cm tall and the board is a nice height for me. Laurastars are way more expensive: My Philips cost me about 1.5k.

Ah, I see. I was just about to compliment you on your excellent lighting and photography skills as well. I have an older Philips model that looks the part but only puts out 3 bar. Looks like yours is more than double that! Have you ever pressed a coat with your iron? I've tried on some of my non-wool jackets and the results have been decent. 

Have you ever pressed a coat with your iron? I've tried on some of my non-wool jackets and the results have been decent. 

Coats - never. Non-wool pants - yes. And extremely well, too.

I need help getting press cloth. Where can I get a good one in KL?

I use a cotton t-shirt (XXXL). Works a charm for pressing my wool trousers.

I guess you could get a length of cloth from Kamdar etc.?

I don't think I've ever shown my clothesbrush. I bought it many years ago in Germany. The bristles are horse hair, the handle is pear wood. I use it quite often to brush lint and loose thread off customers' clothes. Still looks new.

1-IMG_5997_edited_zpsh7i38nt1.jpg