Sign in to follow this  
joonian

Garment maintenance

I know. You sew the crease in. I've seen this done.

I was handling a vintage Malaysian bespoke (from the 70's or 80's) that I own when I noticed a hole in the lapel that was never there before. Moths had gotten to it! Unbelievable. My closet has an orange-scented block of moth repellent in it, and I even have a piece of cedar wood hanging off the hanger which this suit hung. WTF. Merciless moths. Destroying museum-worthy pieces of my collection.

So today, I went shopping for better/more moth repellents. In Daiso, I found this: It's made in Japan, weighs less than a teabag, is odourless, is rated to last for 365 days, and is small and thin. One box (RM5) contains 4 pcs of these. If I were you, I would put one of these in the breast pocket of every wool jacket I have and leave it there.

1-IMG_6529_zpsfzpgkggt.jpg

The repelling chemical (in red) in encased in a white plastic to prevent direct contact with stuff around it. Just slip it in the breast pocket and forget about it. (Remember to remove before sending to dry clean.)

1-IMG_6538_zpsyr5zazfv.jpg

I find "Priced at counter" more ominous. But yes, prices seem quite reasonable, especially for infrequently cleaned items like suits.

I've tried leather goods with them, I was not entirely happy and it was freaking expensive but they did give a full disclosure that they might not be able to get rid of the stains. I will keep sending my suits with them, they've done excellent job with them. 

Dry cleaner at the corner (^) vs bespoke tailor

Actually, Mahon was showing how you can touch it up at home. If a tailor were to press like that, he would slip to the bottom rung.

Guys, I'm trying to iron my shirt and I just can't seem to get the result that I want. There is still some minor crease and crumple after ironing. Just not 'crisp' enough.

I use a regular steam iron (nothing fancy) and I 'wet' the shirts just a bit before I iron. Temperature wise, according to the manual, is the correct temperature to iron cotton.

How do I get my shirt to look crisp after ironing? Will the use of ironing aid helps?

try and iron while it's still very slightly damp from drying. also, when you wash... partially button the shirt, and when you take it out of the washer to hang dry, straighten it all out as much as you can. this will greatly reduce the amount of wrinkles you have to eventually iron. all the shaping of the fabric must occur with a degree of dampness...

try and iron while it's still very slightly damp from drying. also, when you wash... partially button the shirt, and when you take it out of the washer to hang dry, straighten it all out as much as you can. this will greatly reduce the amount of wrinkles you have to eventually iron. all the shaping of the fabric must occur with a degree of dampness...

Hi joonian. Which would be better? Misting the shirt and let it rest before ironing OR ironing when it's still slightly damp from ironing?

Also, if I were to iron when it's still damp from drying, do I still need the steam option from the iron?

re steam - more moisture doesn't hurt... as long as the garment isn't wrinkled. re sequence of events - iron when its still damp. the principle is to minimise wrinkles through moulding while damp. applying heat at this point simply preserves the lack of wrinkles. 

In case anyone here happens to know — who's a good drycleaner in London who can deal with a blood spattered suit jacket? Very nice vintage Dunhill that I wish to save. Drycleaned once already and stains are still there. 

I was reading a book on vintage couture tailoring when I came across something unexpected: Aqua Menthae Crispae. Huh?

A Google search made this sound like miracle water. Check it out.

https://www.patin-a.de/en/crisped-mint-water-aqua-menthae-crispae

It sounds so feature-rich, but is really just water and 0.1% spearmint oil with some benzoate preservatives to prevent the water fouling up. One could just buy spearmint essential oil and put a drop into a mister.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.caelo.de/getfile.html%3Ftype%3Dsdb_en%26cntry%3Den%26num%3Dg16a&ved=0ahUKEwi00uHHl83RAhVKQ48KHdBYBRAQFggnMAU&usg=AFQjCNFPeu625CTC9OW9GlnT0B0_I2teEA&sig2=psuByuuHcJQH3S2B75XCkA

update - flood the stain with soap solution then gently massage with a sponge. it works, but it is laborious process. i am only 10% of the way through. 

Huh? No.

It's used by professional tailors. It's heavy, you can get 3rd degree burns from the vociferous steam, you need to hang the water reservoir from the ceiling, it takes 10 minutes to heat up and an hour to cool down. For home use, buy the stuff sold in supermarkets.

If you must buy something like this, get the Silverstar brand, the choice of all tailors in KL.

Hmm. Ok.

When I was doing my research before buying my current iron, I came across stuff like the Laurastar Pulse, boards with fans to extract steam and stuff like that. But the consumer stuff seemed way too expensive to be worth it.

I stumbled upon this Singer and it seemed like a cheaper alternative. I have no problem with hanging it up in my laundry room.

If I accept the drawbacks, would it be able to iron and press my stuff better than consumer irons?

Huh? No.

It's used by professional tailors. It's heavy, you can get 3rd degree burns from the vociferous steam, you need to hang the water reservoir from the ceiling, it takes 10 minutes to heat up and an hour to cool down. For home use, buy the stuff sold in supermarkets.

If you must buy something like this, get the Silverstar brand, the choice of all tailors in KL.

I have the Silverstar. It cuts down ironing time significantly compared to the household irons thanks to the steam and weight. But u have to get used to the water hose from the water tank to the iron, a nuisance since movement becomes limited. 

• Like 1

I have the Silverstar. It cuts down ironing time significantly compared to the household irons thanks to the steam and weight. But u have to get used to the water hose from the water tank to the iron, a nuisance since movement becomes limited. 

Do you feel that there is anything that it cannot do that a normal household iron can?