224 replies to this topic

#21 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

Does anyone on here own a portable garment steamer? Something like this. I will probably be doing a bit of travel the next few months, and I think this would be a worthwhile investment.

I've been looking around and can't seem to find a place which sells them here.

This:
http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/the-pronto-p7.html

#22 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

That looks awesome! Thanks for the link. Ordered.

#23 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

Kotmj, do you think that the steamer can be used fro daily basis or just for travelling?

#24 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Order cancelled. Found out my gf has one from China. No style points, but gets the job done.

#25 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

I've got this suspicion that all my cotton shirts are shrinking due to all the laundering the dobi has been doing. I think when shirts are thrown into the dryer, the cotton will shrink, hence all my RTW shirts are now too damn short in the sleeves and always get swallowed by my jacket sleeves. Argh!

#26 ElPistolero

ElPistolero

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

are you by any chance still growing?

#27 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

Impossible. I'm 24, how can my arms be growing any longer? (Although I did have some sort of suspicion that it might be the reason, by even new shirts that I bought have shrunk)

#28 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

What brand of RTW shirts are you using? I've come to the conclusion that anything sold in departmental stores, like Jusco and Parkson will shrink more significantly than a 'proper' RTW shirt. I read somewhere (probably in lowyat) that some shirtmakers pre-stretch their fabric before sewing. Nevermind true fabric shirnkage.....a return to its 'normal size' would cause such shirts to shrink. My RTW Lewin's don't do this.

#29 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

Ah, I see... No wonder lah. I bought mine from G2000. Was hooked on to their shirts cause of the massive discounts (up to 30%!) - but now have to deal with all the damn shrinkage :(

#30 cocopops

cocopops

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:43 PM

When i bought G2000 they were (thankfully) usually 50-60% off. And yeah the shrinkage is terrible. I think its time for us to commission some shirts from ALT F1refighter :)

#31 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Or might I suggest TM Lewin?

#32 F1refighter

F1refighter

Megatimer

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:09 PM

When i bought G2000 they were (thankfully) usually 50-60% off. And yeah the shrinkage is terrible. I think its time for us to commission some shirts from ALT F1refighter :)

They're pretty alright shirts, but only for the first few wears. After 3-4 times of washing and wearing, it would shrink very badly and start to get all fuzzy and weird. Arghh.

Yes, in fact, Mystery, shanecross and I are looking to go through the Acorn swatches and see if we can find any nice cloths to buy and then commission them shirts from AL. Yourself?

Or might I suggest TM Lewin?

It's all MTM based on one's measurements right? But how to measure oneself properly?

But the 5 shirts for 100 pounds deal seems pretty awesome. Less than RM100 a shirt!

#33 ElPistolero

ElPistolero

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

tm lewin in malaysia is overpriced. for slightly more i can get a shirt tailored by ALT with jalan tar 2 ply cotton.

#34 cocopops

cocopops

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

Yeah i'd like to get my hands on some acorn fabric to commission with ALT as well.

TM Lewin is best bought online with the 4 for 100 pounds deal. I've got a few and i think they fit me relatively well.

#35 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

The last time I looked at the 4-for-GBP100 deal, there were only the wonky patterns available. This was 2 years ago.

#36 goliath

goliath

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yeah i'd like to get my hands on some acorn fabric to commission with ALT as well.

TM Lewin is best bought online with the 4 for 100 pounds deal. I've got a few and i think they fit me relatively well.

I think there will be a group purchase for Acorn. The swatches are either with shanecross or zinzan. You should check with them and join in the fun...!

#37 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think there will be a group purchase for Acorn. The swatches are either with shanecross or zinzan. You should check with them and join in the fun...!

Half is with me,half is with shanecross.

The TM Lewin shirts, if bought online, give you the ebst value for money. I have tried Hawe & Curtis, TM Lewin and Charles T and TM Lewin so far to me is the best.They are definitely overpriced here so its better to buy it online.

#38 hst20

hst20

Megatimer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Half is with me,half is with shanecross.

The TM Lewin shirts, if bought online, give you the ebst value for money. I have tried Hawe & Curtis, TM Lewin and Charles T and TM Lewin so far to me is the best.They are definitely overpriced here so its better to buy it online.

Charles T is also worth considering. Their tailored cut is pretty slim, and fits me quite well. The only thing is they have stopped giving VAT rebates for overseas orders. Previously the net price comes up only to 85GBP or so for 5 shirts

#39 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,685 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

Kotmj, do you think that the steamer can be used fro daily basis or just for travelling?

Wow, I just saw this question.

Actually, jackets should not be steamed or exposed to humidity. It differs from coatmaker to coatmaker, some parts of the jacket have been imparted with ironwork (either stretching or shrinking with the iron). The geometry of the seams, the darts, the pad stitching, and the ironwork all conspire to give the tailored jacket its sculptural appearance.

When you steam the cloth, it loses its ironwork. That is, if it was shrunk, it will expand. If it was stretched, it will contract back. Not completely, of course, some residual ironwork remains, but the jacket might end up with puffed up seams and generally lose much of its crispness.

In the Laksamana No. I pics I posted in the suiting thread, terror had trouble making out if there is a breast pocket. The jacket also looks very crisp and sculptural. A major reason for this is the fact that the jacket received its final press only 5 minutes before the pics were taken. The final press takes about 20 minutes and really gives a jacket that crisp, tailored look. It would look very different if it was steamed. The Armoury wrote somewhere that they have a dehumidifier in the shop because the humidity causes the jackets to lose their shape.

So what to do about the wrinkles? Well, it's best to chose a travel-worthy cloth. Much depends on it. The thicker the cloth the more crease resistant it is. High twist cloths are also very crease resistant. And the tailor should be mindful to use a travel worthy canvassing material, the sort that has astounding crease recovery. I've felt many, many types of canvassing material (body canvas + chest canvas) and some perform poorly when crushed while some are literally uncrushable. You crush it in your palm, hold it, then let go. Some canvas will be creased and wrinkled, a few others just spring right back and show no signs of having been crushed. Theoretically, pairing a canvas like that with a cloth like fresco should eliminate the reason to have to steam the jacket. (Though I haven't tried it myself.)

If any of you have seen a coatmaker press a jacket you will realise 30 seconds into the demo that your efforts with the steamer at approximating it are woefully inadequate.

Trousers are more forgiving, RTW and local bespoke trousers have zero ironwork in them so steam them all you want. But the trousers I make have 20 minutes of ironwork imparted to them so they too should not be steamed.

#40 hst20

hst20

Megatimer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks, kotmj. This is most educational and informative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users