"6"

The inspirational as all heck thread

Amidst all the #menswear photos coming at us through blogs and tumblrs and whatnot - its easy to become desensitized and abit jaded from time to time with the endless reblogging.

However, now and then I'm sure we all come across photos which jump out at us and we know we're looking at the real deal, the gold standard, the stuff that's not just inspirational, but hella aspirational.

This thread is to celebrate these photos. Let's try to keep this mostly pictorial.

Kotmj circa 2010.

I remember first seeing these being posted up in another forum which shall not be named - my first look at next level casual attire done in a real-world context. Some of the things which 'shocked' me at the time:

1) The shoes. I could never ever ever buy 'normal' square toed monstrosities from Parkson ever again after seeing these pics. Thanks alot kotmj - you bastard.

2) Trousers without a whole heap of fabric pooling at the bottom sweeping the floor? That's a great idea! Now why didn't I think of that?

3) A linen jacket? Wait, a WHITE linen jacket? In SEA, no way! The only continent I've seen so far which messes with linen seriously is Europe, and this guy wears one in Malaysia and pulls it off? Amazing.

4) Wait, why are those jacket pockets curved?

5) Note to self - shirt collars look better when tucked neatly below jacket, and not splaying out Travolta style. Who wudda thunk it?

02-01-05_0105-1.jpg

02-01-05_0039-1.jpg

02-01-05_0053.jpg

Clark Gable showing us how a button-down collar is SUPPOSED to look.

tumblr_ma3cklyEvS1rf1jvro1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdabw9LcNk1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

Source: www.voxsartoria.com

^ I would kill for the ability to grow facial hair that doesn't look like Genghis Khan's when fully grown.

^ Awesome winter gear!! Love the flannel with suede. I for one think the shoes are fine. Appropriate even, for winter days. I would have mixed up the soft textures with a madder tie though.

I really really like the camel overcoat and have toyed with the idea of bespeaking one -- I can't seem to find a cheaper alternative OTR.

Didn't go ahead because it's just too impractical (for me) given that it'd be far too hot for me to shrug one on in London's cold.

I really really like the camel overcoat and have toyed with the idea of bespeaking one -- I can't seem to find a cheaper alternative OTR.

Didn't go ahead because it's just too impractical (for me) given that it'd be far too hot for me to shrug one on in London's cold.

I think I saw one by Jcrew on Putthison.com.Worth having a look at it

bowiedb_zpsfa148aad.jpg

David Bowie on Dutch television in 1977, performing 'Heroes'.

How did an Englishman become the best articulator of the Cold War?

'I can remember/standing by the Wall/and the guns shot above our heads/and we kissed as though nothing could fall/and the shame was on the other side/we can beat them/forever and ever/and we can be heroes/just for one day

bowiedb_zpsfa148aad.jpg

David Bowie on Dutch television in 1977, performing 'Heroes'.

How did an Englishman become the best articulator of the Cold War?

'I can remember/standing by the Wall/and the guns shot above our heads/and we kissed as though nothing could fall/and the shame was on the other side/we can beat them/forever and ever/and we can be heroes/just for one day

Revisited once more in Where Are We Now

"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing." - Oscar Wilde

http:/www.instagram.com/residentdandy

tumblr_mh0nec7WmS1s3m213o1_1280_zpse8204d71.jpg

http://maxim-victorsf.tumblr.com/

http://www.styleforum.net/t/323059/victorsf-mini-blog

The assets have approximately:

45 jackets

70 pairs of trousers

100 pairs of shoes

80 shirts

10 jackets (in feathers, leather, tarpaulins)

25 pairs of cufflinks

200 pairs of socks

100 Tie

50 belts

10 suspenders

20 tie-butterfly

200 pocket handkerchiefs

15 coat

15 cardigans and sweaters

25 pairs of gloves

50 headwear

40 different scarves

15 bags and briefcases

:wacko:

I find it odd that some ppl would spend all their money on clothes. There must be balance with all other worldly stuff. I like clothes like the next guy on this forum but really to spend everything on it, I just find it silly.

$T2eC16NHJGYE9noohZ1-BQmzlcjing~~60_57.JPG

A postcard from Bukit China, Malacca, Straits Settlement.

Everything is damned inspirational, right down to the unfused shirt collar which suffers from the same ironing flaw as those today. Some things never change. (Click on pic for full view.)

Is such a collar objectionable? It is low, with short points, unfused, and without collar stays. But it looks so comfy and organic.

• Like 1