Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Events

There's an exhibition at the Galeri Petronas KLCC called "The Art of Architecture: Foster + Partners". It closes at 8 pm; free admission. Really quite good, especially the video of interviews with Foster, who, at his age and achievement, has a few things to say.

5e3eacc8247b3414995fb9fe00d1075b_zpsc8bd15a1.jpg

c6ca6db3a64725fbaef58c21cc35417e_zps43c99e48.jpg

There are models of every Foster + Partners project in Malaysia.

I was driving on Jln Raja Chulan a few days ago and saw a demonstration outside a Maybank. The banners said something about the tyranny of Maybank. The police were around etc. but it seemed peaceful. Should have more of those.

The Malaysian Kennel Association is having its show competition (all breeds) this Sunday at the 1 Shamelin mall. Judging starts at 9:30am. I wish I could reschedule all my Sunday morning appointments to attend this. Lots of beautiful dogs!

It's typical norman foster very generic nothing to shout about but I thought the finishing is much better than what ive seen locally. Troika I thought was appalling.

I almost forgot why I hated the iPad so much. I typed a post here, occasionally copying links from another tab, when, returning to this tab, all that I had written disappeared. What a piece of junk the iPad is.

image.jpg4_zps1grkhjlg.jpg

I was up at The Troika to see a customer in his apartment, giving me the chance to see both Foster projects -- the Ilham Tower from the outside, and The Troika from the inside.

Of the two, the Ilham Tower is certainly the more accomplished. It has an unmistakable "designer" appearance. Now, of course each office tower is born of a unique vision -- but only to the architect who conceived it. To the rest of us, it is a generic office tower like hundreds in the city.

The Petronas towers and the Ilham Tower are very different from the rest if its kind. The latter is willfully technical in appearance, like a refined Swiss watch movement.

image.jpg3_zpss8prajz8.jpg

You needn't look up to notice it. Even from road level the building announces itself.

I told you, Menara Ilham is much better than Troika. I think by far the nicest building in central KLCC area. Now would you hazard a guess who owns the building?