kotmj

Casual shoes

Still looks like Thai cottage industry output to me...

Sometimes you do need cottage industry styling to keep your feet cool. I suppose larger basket weave makes it look a tad ungainly in lighter colours. Note the pic below...smaller veave on the same type of shape. But without a raised heel.4005-23.jpg

One can never have too many shoes......or cars...or watches...or houses...or...

motoring-malaysia.blogspot.com

and

amalaysianman.blogspot.com/

I think the rustic/cottage industry vibe may have to do with the state the leather strips are in. Once they lose their gloss, leather tends to look old. There needs to be a perma gloss on basket weave leather. Because you can't really shine it with wax.

I think the rustic/cottage industry vibe may have to do with the state the leather strips are in. Once they lose their gloss, leather tends to look old. There needs to be a perma gloss on basket weave leather. Because you can't really shine it with wax.

I agree. You cant polish much with basket weave. And I think the traditional moccasin shape makes it rustic too. But fit and comfort is great. Cant beat that.

and

That Carmina is nice, but look closely at the lining of the shoe in one of the pics. It isn't perforated. So this is clearly style over function. Just buy it because of its looks. It would function like any other leather loafer with no added benefits (other than looking dapper).

and

Looking dapper, sometimes, is all that matters.

But sometimes, the 38.5degrees celcius tempreature outside and over 70% humidity warrants wearing the ultimate in tropical attire. Especially when you frequent the local mamak stalls. One has to be as ventilated as possible in order to look dapper.

and

To be honest, my footwear has precious little to do with me feeling "cool"(in the literal sense). If I wear flannel trousers in tropical weather, doesn't matter if I'm rocking crocs or no footwear. I'd still be hot. Hence in the reverse, I agree with urban.

Taken from putthison - “In England, fashion never overrides the practical, and when it is raining in London, the Englishman’s trousers will always be turned up.”

-Vanity Fair in 1922,

Words to live by. But then again...I agree to disagree and then also agree. Sometimes looking dapper is all that matters. But when that mood appears...the shoes i put on are some of my best pairs. But then when there are those times when  I want to really feel at ease in the heat, I prefer function over form.

and

RM Williams in steer leather - 2 months of wear. Australian cowboy boots.

photo_zps08b5f8ec.jpg

RM Williams Boots Almost bought a pair on my trip to perth in 2013. But then decided against as I had shoes which I hadnt worn yet at the time and I prefer shoes to boots. Still tempted occasionally though...maybe my next trip down under.

and

I must say, most comfortable pair of leather dress footwear I've ever come across - right out of the box. And they continue to get softer as I wear them. 

Those look gurrd... I find myself wearing almost exclusively chukkas and chelseas these days. Just too versatile and not too dressy. Need a better looking pair of chelseas than the Loakes I currently have though. Have to say the C&J ones look great. 

My brother in-law has a really nice looking broken-in pair of Carshoe drivers.

I have a pair of Tods which I find to be an average product overall quality wise, although they look okay I guess.

Personally I just rock Sperry's now.

I was in a mall in Kuantan just now, and a good-looking shop caught my eye. It was a Birkenstock shop. I stood there for a moment, stunned. What is a Birkenstock doing in a mall in Kuantan?

During my time in Germany, Birkenstock has a dusty image even amongst the Germans. There was practically no product innovation---a pair of Birkenstock sandals today looks like a pair from decades ago, is made from the same materials, and uses the same manufacturing process. This stagnant if iconic product made it easy for others to copy. In fact, for a while, I had a pair of Birkenstock-like sandals which cost me only a fraction of what Birkenstock was asking. Birkenstock's marketing was staid and boring; it's prices high. It gave off the image of a moribund company that had to appeal to the Germans' sense of ecology and national pride to stay in business.

I thought of the sort of stuff that must have gone on at Birkenstock's HQ to lead them to eventually opening at a mall in Kuantan, of all places. I thought of a Herr Doktor Birkenstock, a sixth or seventh generation proprietor, who woke up one day to ponder international expansion. "Ah, Klaus," he thinks to himself, "they all say we need to expand or slowly shrivel up and die."

He might ponder the point of it all. "I'm already in a very nice villa in the best part of Munich. I think we might have 20 cars or somesuch. Many millions salted away in Panama and the Virgin Islands. Now they want me to do business in the Far East. No, the Very Far East. 13 hour flights, Klaus! One way! Dealing with the inscrutable Japanese. The inscrutable Malaysians. The Thais! Poargh."

When I got to the car, I thought, maybe Birkenstock is now owned by Adidas or somesuch. Now Adidas would know how to bring the brand all the way to the deepest confines of a mall in Kuantan. Maybe the Birkenstock I thought I knew has been bought up, a new management installed, and with Adidas' deep purse, an experienced ex-Adidas distribution man has been hired to bring Birkenstock to the remotest parts of the world.

It turns out it wasn't bought by Adidas. Instead, the hereditary proprietors and hitherto managers stepped back and had a new guy from outside run it. It happened recently, in 2013.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/29/business/corporate-business/birkenstock-looks-step-japan-sales-mix-tradition-bold-new-ideas/#.Wobv0HrmjMI