129 replies to this topic

#1 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Gents,

I thought I'd better start a new thread because Pet and I populating the "What you ate" thread with unrelated post.

Some of cigar accessories / toys that i have accumulated.

IMG00463-20130701-1938_zps925c8ab2.jpg

The ashtray on the right i got from a flea market, made in Sweden but i couldnt trace the maker though. One of my favs ashtray adaptable any size of cigars. The right i got a freebie from  the Malaysian cigar distributor, Trinidad.

IMG00464-20130701-1940_zps156d79f3.jpg

Here's some of my lighters, cutter cigar cases. 

#2 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

I did some spread-sheeting to check what is the price difference between online ordering and buying from locals bars and divans.

Prices are based on COH and weight info from Cigar Review. The local retail markup after tax for singles is estimated 150%. Buying in bulk will save around 15%.

Take note there will be additional GST on the freight and insurance. Each order is allow a max of 400g at at time, otherwise have to import via a license tobacco importer.

cigarprice_zps47b93294.jpg

#3 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

This afternoon I went with my friend to his car workshop at Wcega (an industrial building). There was a shop selling utensils for the F&B business. I bought a large square glass ashtray with 4 cigar holders for $4.50 and a stainless stray tray for $10.90 to put the ashtray, cutter and butane lighter together to form a "smoking set" - as they call it in China.

Coincidentally the tray fits nicely on top of my lock n lock tupperdor, I can carry everything outdoors to enjoy my cigars.

9FCD1DFE-5DD3-43EB-8308-D1D25366F6AE-759

The Xikar 25 is too humid for my small tupperdor, I only use it to raise the humidity to the require RH, then seal the container and the lock n lock is a perfect seal and calibration is a matter of exposing to the dryer air or more humid air when required.

I will let the humidifier dry out and replace the distilled water with Xikar PG solution and see if it maintains at 70% RH.

#4 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

How much wld a box of Partagas shorts cost if you bring in a box/half a box?

I actually need a humidor here too for SG. Bah.

#5 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Pet, looking at your tupperdor set up, you still need some cedar to make it more hygroscopic. I suppose the cheaper way to do is get some tubos. The inside of tubos has some cedar ply liimg the tube. A couple of that should be sufficient. And possibly next time, choose a Tupperware that has a bit more depth rather than length.

Boy, something more up your alley would be a Daniel Marshall or an elie blue humidor, that is the Rolls Royce of humidors. Or like me I have converted 28 bottle wine chiller, that is a temp controlled humidor. What ever capacity your planning double that or tripple that. I've
learned it the hard way. It's never enough when you get the bug.

Split boxes is the best and cheapest way to get variety. I suggest trying out a few before committing to a box. Iwas lucky managed to get robusto sampler which helped me makeup my mind what I liked. I bought 2 of each of 11 robusto sized cigar Cuban of course sampled it over a year. I was surprised what I liked in the first round wasn't the same the second round. Age plays a very important role in cigar even within a year.

#6 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

How much wld a box of Partagas shorts cost if you bring in a box/half a box?

I actually need a humidor here too for SG. Bah.

In Singapore BDC is reduced to smoking Partagas Shorts, sigh damn taxes...

Box of 25 I estimate is around 250 sgd. These quite as enjoyable as a no 4 or no 5.

Tried to order last nite but to my horror only accept VISA. No paypal, no mastercard, no anything else zzz

PS: bdc if you want to set up a tupperdor on a budget, i can help. Or else you can hoot the cohiba ones in CD, quite nice.

#7 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,554 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

I was told it's possible to do betel nut chewing in Borneo. Next trip.

#8 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

In Singapore BDC is reduced to smoking Partagas Shorts, sigh damn taxes...

Box of 25 I estimate is around 250 sgd. These quite as enjoyable as a no 4 or no 5.

Tried to order last nite but to my horror only accept VISA. No paypal, no mastercard, no anything else zzz

PS: bdc if you want to set up a tupperdor on a budget, i can help. Or else you can hoot the cohiba ones in CD, quite nice.

REPLY:

Shorts are quite nice, quick smokes. The problem is finding a suitable location to spend an hour ish unwinding over a cigar, and so I rarely smoke longer cigars. Outdoors, it's way too hot.

We can share a box of 25 Shorts if you like.

And the idea of a humidor in a tupper seems fun.

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,554 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

It's some 25 degrees Celcius here at night where I live before taking into account the wind chill.

#10 Petepan

Petepan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 588 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Kotmj, please bring back the pipe.

#11 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Finding an aircon place to smoke indoors is a premium. I only do it on the weekends to unwind.

Even so the shorts can be enjoyed slowly over 30 to 40 minutes. Its a real pocket rocket.

the 1st July 2007 indoor smoking ban, And the yearly increase in tobacco tax makes cigar enjoyment very difficult here.

Bdc:
I be going to Oaks to buy PG solution, let me know if you want to go shopping for supplies for your tupperdor.

#12 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Pet, im against using PG solution but i made a  mistake recommending Xikar humidifier without reading the fine print on PG. I thought it was humidity beads/crystal which doesnt require PG solution. My apologies, since your on that path i suppose you just continue with it. Ive still got the PG solution which i got ripped off Hyatt Sg Cigar shop. Used it once that's it, currently i'm using Heartfelt system as per below. In any case its good to overestimate the humidifier capacity rather than under.  

http://www.heartfelt...=Humidity Beads

I dont remember COH only accepting visa. And you guys cant go wrong Party shorts. Its a lot of ppl's favourite cigar, a morning coffee cigar, although admittedly i have not tried any because i have other petit corona that have picked my interest ie San Cristobal El Principe and Trinidad Reyes.  

#13 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Would a bong suffice or shisha?

#14 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,554 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

This one?

New-Florida-Marijuana-Pipe-Bong-Law.jpg

#15 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

I want to live in M'ysia. Nice view from your home. Good access to a good tailor. And windy weather for me to wear suits. PHEEEEWWWW.

It's some 25 degrees Celcius here at night where I live before taking into account the wind chill.

#16 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

No worries zin. I still use it to calibrate humidity, just can't put it inside the tupperdor.

The Xikar PG solution just need it to prime the crystals after tat is top up with distilled water.

The other brands crystals come with the PG so no need to for anything but water.

Intially i wanted to get the Xikar round stick which is a rebranded product that does not need PG, but oaks dun carry that product.

#17 Petia

Petia

Megatimer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationPulau Semakau

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

BDC you might want to shop at Heartfelt for your tupperdor project. Add shipping still cheaper than local retail prices.

If I get their small 65 beads it will be cheaper than the xikar PG locally

#18 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Its rock solid, i'll prob have to check it twice a year. Most experienced cigar smoker would use this system or Cigarmony Beads System which is a bit more expensive. If you are going for some St Dupont it may be worthwhile to buy from them. But be warned that the St dupont refill canister cost a bomb and its one time use only. 

http://www.cigarmony.com/index.aspx

Pet, again sorry i didnt realise the shipping is gonna be cheaper. When i was buying there was none locally, there was only the floral foam system at the B&M so i didnt factor shipping at all. I just recently started buying hygrometer locally when prices were marginally higher, saves the hassle of waiting. David of Heartfelt is a good guy, wonderful customer service. Bought nearly every damn thing except hygrometer from him. His hygrometer is allright but not the best. 

Boy. alternatively you can get seconds from below, works just as well (my 1st humi was seconds from them) but you still need to get the humidity beads and digital hygrometer to be extra safe. 

http://www.cheaphumi...t-humidors.html

#19 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks Zinzan! Seems reasonably priced!

#20 boysdontcryy

boysdontcryy

Megatimer

• Kia Picanto fan