Zinzan

Cigars, Pipes & Etc

Price is not bad with free shipping thrown in.

This is the product I wanted for my small tupperdor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drymistat-Gel-Tube-Cigar-Humidor-Crystal-Humidifier-Maintains-70-Humidity-/221181174992?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337f6ce4d0

I've used dry mistat, not as stable as the Heartfelt system. I actually chucked mine away after a couple of months. And it last about year or so whilst Heartfelt is suppose to be lifetime. 

Another option would be Boveda for a small sized container but it also last for about a year.

Went to Oaks to buy the Xikar PG. Took a empty tubos. Too bad they threw away empty boxes. sa say will help me keep some :)

I try to dry out the crystals partially and top up with pg solution but still doesn't work. Crystals are still way too humid. Next will try to completely dry out the crystals and fill with pg solution.

I wonder is it due to too littel cigars or the lack of a cedar box to absorb / regulate the RH?

For the container or even a humidor to be effective it has to be near capacity. Thats y having the cedar assist to make the container more hygroscopic, it can absorb more humidity. It could be your container is too small or your puck has to big of a capacity. What's your reading btw?

It will shoot all the way up beyond 80 RH. The cigars and the few pieces of cedar will hold the RH at 65ish, if I dont hand itchy.

Finally put in a wooden box and a big paper thin piece of cedar. Bought a few more cigars to "fill up the space", mainly petite coronas.

Put in the crystals to "wet" the cigar box. Been half a day and rh rise from 63 to 70 %. Will observe if it goes beyond 70 at the end of the day.

Good, well done. I see you've worked your charm with the cigar shop. And dont keep tubos in the humidor, there's a tendency of the cigar to become moldy. Take the cigar out of the tubes and put in the humi. Everything else looks hunky dory then. 

Dun worry, those are empty tubos used for bringing out cigars for consumption outside the office. I will precut and just bring a small butane lighter and the loaded tubos.

Lock n Lock having warehouse sale at Pandan cres. Very tempted to pay a visit to upsize my humidor.

IMHO, I think you should just spend the money on cigars. Try as many varieties as you can if you have spare cash yeah maybe a proper humidor. Strictly speaking I'm against buying a wooden humidor because its not temp controlled. Something below is better for our weather. Of ourse we can DIY wine chiller to work the same.

http://www.eurocave.co.uk/wine-cabinets/cigar-humidor

If I have to be really honest temp controlled cigars has slight better burn and flavor compared to non temp controlled but it so marginal that I don't really bother.

What's the ideal temperature? Didn't know there's one. Though I must say that when in Asia, my humidor is stored in an air-conditioned place so it should be fine.

That wine chiller looks nice, but probably takes up way too much space in an already small apartment.

If one has space, here's a DIY option

http://www.stogieguys.com/2010/01/01052010-stogie-tips-build-a-wine-a-dor.html

At the rate you're gng, why not buy a nice humidor that can double up as a display piece/home decor item?

My reply: Technically I am homeless till I get my keys. Luxuries will have to wait.

What's the ideal temperature? Didn't know there's one. Though I must say that when in Asia, my humidor is stored in an air-conditioned place so it should be fine.

That wine chiller looks nice, but probably takes up way too much space in an already small apartment.

My reply: There is this 70/70 guide which is 70 F and 70% RH. Temperate can be like 20-25 C, humidity can be 65-70% your personal preference. Don't worry too much, if you going to consume the cigars in a couple of months time anyway.

18-20 ideally but for long term aging 16. Even my wine chiller is at 21-22. The ambient temp is 30 onwards. I made a mistake of buying thermoelectric instead of a compressor unit.

Pet, try the petit edmundo the box in your humidor. One of my favs, a very good petit robusto

• Like 1

This is my disco chiller converted.

IMG00318-20121113-1921_zpsa88c07d0.jpg

IMG00320-20121116-1259_zpsf19d8fd4.jpg

I did it last year, the problem is already full. Cant be arsed to do another. This was a lot of work, it took me 6 months to get it stable. From Day 1, it was troubleshooting, at last managed to get it stable. 

• Like 1

Mouth watering display. The led fans are so funky. What is the green goo at the condensation tray?

Overnite the cigar box in my lockndor is saturated and now holds at 70-73%. Too high for my preference, leaving it open dry out today.

Going to dry out the crystals and see if it will help absorb excess humidity.

Thats kitty litter, i mentioned earlier you can go with kitty litter, as long as its scentless. The ones in the white bags are heartfelt beads. The wine chiller was just too big for me for me to have everything from heartfelt. Initially ordered 3 pounds, still wasn't sufficient. Now i use kitty litter for water catchment from the condensation. 

The disco fans are on timer, to switch on for 5 minutes every 4 hours just to circulate the air. Its quite cool it glows in the dark. Hehehehe. I wish i can get cedar drawers to replace the metal ones, it was just too expensive to order from the US. 

The ones that you are referring to are like below, they are not custom made to the fridge. The custom ones are fit exactly to the fridge, so you can slide it in and out. They cost more much more, I dont even dare ask for a quote. 

IMG00021-20110822-1957_zpsfaafc08c.jpg

you mean there are even more expensive wooden trays? i shudder at the thought. rather save the moolah for more smokes. 

I took out the crystal to lower the humidity. But the cigar box will act as a buffer and hold RH at precisely 70%. Shouldn't have bothered wasting time and effort on the crystals and PG solution.

Conclusion of experiment. Go make friends with the cigar shop sales person. Save money for more smokes.

Now planning for next project, bigger sized lock n lock with disco fans and music.

You will need a humidifier sooner later, the cigar box will not sustain the humidity. So dont worry about it, your "investment" will be justified. That is if you dont upgrade to another system or much much bigger sized tupperdor. I told you what ever sized your thinking initially double it. Hahahaha. Anyways, i glad you gotta the bug. For more info on cigars besides cigar-reviews.org, the link below is has great wealth of info, and they are really nice bunch of guys. Look at their video reviews, just hilarious. Their video reviews are spot on to my taste bud. 

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?app=forums

They are internet sellers, slightly more expensive than COH but  they inspect each and every box and grade it to 3 categories. Which is good so that, you know what your buying, even their economy class is a touch better than your duty free shops. But be warned, for wallet draining experience as bad or even worse in my case than Kerbau. 

Very nice cutter!!! What brand is that? Never seen anything like that and ive seen a lot of cutters. Is the lighter Dunhill?