Zinzan

Cigars, Pipes & Etc

Thanks Zinzan, it's crafted out of boxwood, and produced in France by Forge De Laguiole that was founded in 1829 -- a bit more on the design here -- http://www.laguiole.com/laguiole_history_village.php

The carvings on the side of the cutter (not featured) are quite something.

Lighter is by St Dupont. I have two. Been attracted to a couple from Dunhill but I'll wait till both spoil before I buy another.

Lol bdc u post on hwz no one can tell what the cutter is lor...

I think i screw up somehow, my new bought bolivar pc lost the taste when i smoke them this evening. I put the cigar box in together with the crystals, the box came from cigar shop humidor so should not be too dry...

Bought the bigger 10l lock n lock. Should last me a while. The smaller box will be used for dry boxing.

Tried the party shorts in stored in the smaller box.

Same thing poor draw but strong amonia taste at first. After a while taste normal like a cigar should.

Over the weekend the rh maintain at 70 without humidifier.

Waaaaah you learned about dry boxing already, very good my padwan. Is this the party short from COH? The party shorts was probably smoked right of the truck (ROTT) ie a couple of days after delivery. You need to leave in the humi for a couple of weeks to let it settled. Its no harm smoking ROTT but you just get better taste when you lie it down for a bit. I usually dont touch it for at least 3 months, but i understand where you are comin from you just got it and your excited to try, i went through the same thing. I used to smoke at least one cigar ROTT just to see the progression of the cigar.

Actually, if you lower your humidor's humidity to 65, you shouldn't really have to dry box them, but some insist that the optimal is 70, in which case, it might be a little 'wet'.

I keep mine at around 68, and remove them a couple days before I want to smoke them, and leave them in my cigar box.

Even at 65, i dry box it. Sometimes i dry box and forget about i for a week or 2, the cigar smokes brilliantly. Not something you should do often though. Dry boxing just decreases the likelihood of plugged cigar. At the end of the day is personal preference.  

Ammonia is usually attributed to a young cigar. During the ageing process it goes through a sick period a couple of times through its life cycle. Min Ron Nee a renowned author cigar author, although his book is a bit extreme ie the cigar only becomes good after 10-15 years of ageing. That's ridiculous, ill be an old fart before i smoke anything. Yes the taste profile becomes more blended but also you lose strength so there's fine line to thread ageing and smoking

http://themandarinstea.blogspot.com/2009/09/view-of-aging-cigar-by-min-ron-nee-part.html

The partagas shorts is bought from a bar weeks ago. Somehow or rather all the cigars end up tasting weird after storing in my tupperdor mk 1. I suspect the Cubans don't like the 70% humidity the Xikar is feedin them with. Going to hit the pet stores for some KL.

Made myself some KL bags. Bought a huge pack of KL, probably can't finish in my lifetime, unless I get a cat.

If any ones in SG needs KL feel free to ask, giving away free.

37108D26-B518-4C68-ADA4-8FD3106E0057-859

Pet, just double checking its scentless right? Yeah its a hell of a lot for much cheaper price. Works the same but for some ppl they'rather have the comfort of mind with heartfelt. If not for my chiller i would've stuck with heartfelt to be honest.

This time around put the distilled water little by little, dont put too much. Then give it a day or 2, see what the rh readings are then add water. 

Just before the fasting balik kampung. Had a Por Larranga Monte Carlo. One of my favourites cheap & cheerful. 

IMG00471-20130705-2330_zps0d1e2aae.jpg

My parents house so have to smoke on the porch, the view although its not visible there's a river upfront.

IMG00475-20130706-1618_zpsba3472a8.jpg

Nice view to smoke to :) 

My KL is too wet. I used the Xikar 50 crystals top up with PG to season them slowly but the combined RH soon shoot to 85.

Took up the Xikar and just put in the empty box and the KL, hovering at 75ish. Now putting the KL in the freezer for a few days to dry them out. 

They are scentless but seems to have a bit of dust. Had to shake them out of the stockings.

I dried out the KL in the freezer over the weekend. Add a couple of spray of DW and put in the Xikar as the reading was 40+. WIthin half a day overshot to 70RH again. Going to REDO the process till I stablise the RH to 65.

I tried with 3 bags of kl seems too much RH. They will slowly creep from 45 to 75.

Now try just one bag. Seems to stop at 70 so far. Somehow the KL likes to hover around 70ish.

Then let it come down naturally, it should come down naturally in a week or 2. Pet, you being too anal, you can never get it exactly. Don't worry bout it cigars are quit hardy. If you need some more empty boxes let me know, I'll be more than happy to courier it to you.

KL still hovers at 71%. It is either completely dried below 50% or adding even a tiny drop of DW will cause it to go all the way up to 70%

The customs at the post office hq have detained my shipment and till now I was not informed by post or phone. I had to check on the tracking order against singpost tracking to verify parcel status, call the customs duty officer at Singpost to verify the parcel is with them, and go down to the main post office during office hours to do an inspection, pay the taxes and return home with the package.

I will update on the cost savings, see if its worth it to go thru the trouble. No wonder the retailers charge such a high premium.

Collected my COH package from the customs. The ICA was friendly and experienced with cigars, most pleasant to talk to.

He gave me the benefit of doubt for the value of the cigars, did not tax me on the freight and allow me to weigh a few sticks to calculate based on the lower weight. Total paid 48.55 for tax and each stick cost 15 instead of 35 sold retail

the container was left open to dry the KL and the RH went down to 60%. Put the Xikar crystals and the humidity didnt climb much. So I spray a tiny mist of DW onto a tiny glass and place it iniside the humidor. Increased to 68 and I remove the Xikar crystals.

Despite the COH parcel was packed with a Boveda pack, the box was very dry, the silver insulation packing was not airtight.

I left the new box including the Boveda pack in the container sealed. Stable around 67 range. Hope it stays this way.

Great news Pet. I'm glad to hear its still cheaper than retail. Once budget permits, my suggestion next get a sampler. Robusto is one of the most popular sizes, and nearly every marca has a robusto. So you can get a rough gauge of a marca's flavour profile. 

Usually during travel it dries up. I was hoping that you left the humi at 71%, and when the party shorts came it will absorb the extra moisture in the container. You tinkering too much dude. Ok, now you using boveda, it should be allright. Ive not had any problems with boveda. 

The Boveda 69 came with the shipment. Together with the KL the RH regulated to 70 from 67 over the night. I will just listen to your advice and leave the stoogies alone.

Ive been using the same Boveda which i received from COH about last year or even maybe the year before for my travel humi. Let it sit for a couple of weeks. If its 71% it will usually come down to about 67 in that time. It will come down naturally, its nearly impossible to for you to get it spot on at 65% manually ie drying it up or adding water. Mine will spike high ie 71-73 and then i let it come down naturally. On other humis that i'm more familiar with i know the amount of water that is required, thats the reason i use the syringe. Its actually a device from heartfelt which is just an oddly shaped syringe. So you roughly know how many CCs are needed to bring a couple points up.

As long as it doesnt go above 75 or below 60 you're all right. In any case you can dry box for a couple of days if you feel its too wet. Cigars quite hardy, so dont fret over it. Cuz i used to the same thing like you did i wanted it to be perfect, I used to check my humi twice a day. Unless we're connoisseurs must have it 18c 63%, otherwise its not worth the hassle. You want to enjoy this hobby and not make it a burden.