Zinzan

Cigars, Pipes & Etc

Are you getting anything? I just got a box of Rafael Gonzales Perlas so taking a sabbatical from any acquisition in the short term because no available space in the humi. 

COH flash sale is now on!!!

Make sure you lie down the Siglos for a bit. It usually taste like shit the first year. Its sublime after the 5th year.

Me and boy boy sharing 5 x 5 Siglo IV. 

Siglos? Like i said Cohiba needs time, a lot of time, minimum ageing of 5 years. And their hit rate does not commensurate the price. Thats why i tend to stay away from them but in saying that when they are on its an out of this world experience. So you do need some staples of cohiba in your humidor but just don't make it your regular rotation. I find many other smokes thats so much better at half the price.  

Hi all - I'm coming to Sing next month for a business trip and want to know some good cigar spots :) 

Being currently based in NY I'm not able to get any Cubans.

Any recommendations please - also is it worth me getting a few (ie no more than 3-5) in duty free on the way in?

Thanks!

For me if you are looking for cuban cigars that are a extremely vintage and rare the best place is la casa cubana at regent hotel. Added advantage they've equally rare wine and single malt whisky.

I'm not entirely sure but i think Singapore does not allow any duty free cigars or cigarette. The ruling has been mentioned by Petla earlier part of the thread. And he and boysdontcry have mentioned some places for cigar additional to mine. Generally speaking, indoor smoking is prohibited in SIngapore and I've not been to Singapore the past year so i'm really not sure of the places. La Casa Cubana has a private club for smokers but getting in is not so easy. 

Thanks Zinzan-what are places like in Sing,can you bring your own to smoke?

Your avatar looks like an older version of boyboy.

Torsion here is some places for your consideration in Sg

Some locations:

The Olde Cuban is located at:
2 Trengganu Street, #02-01
Singapore 058456
 +65 6222 2207
Operating Hours:
Mon to Fri 11:00 AM to 12:30 AM,
Sat, Sun & PH 1:00 PM to 12:30 AM

The Connoisseur Divan is located at:
#01-62 UE Square,
207 River Valley Road,
Singapore 238275
 +65 6733 7141

The Casa Cubana is located at:
The Regent Singapore
1 Cuscaden Road #01-02
Singapore 249715
 +65 6732 5526
Operating hours : Mon – Sat 11.30am to 8.30pm Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays

KPO Cafe Bar is located at:
1 Killiney Rd,
Killiney Post Office,
Singapore, Singapore 239518
 +65 6733 3648

The Quaich Bar is located at:
Grand Copthorne Waterfront
390A Havelock Road,
Waterfront Plaza,
#01-09/10,
Singapore 169663
Tel: 6732 3452

Thanks alot Zinzan! I fly tomorrow night non stop from NY to Sing - I'm actually spending a few days in KL for a personal visit before heading back to Sing for business. Will check out your recommendations as well as explore the offerings in KL :)

Generally Changi and KLIA are rip offs, KLIA slightly better than Changi. I only buy at Dubai duty free. But in saying that they are cheaper than retail KL so it maybe worthwhile to get some. I'll be frank unless you know the pricing very well, it's a shot in the dark. 

If you in KL, this is some of the nicer cigar bars:-

La Casa De Habanos - Mandarin Oriental

Marini 57 - KLCC Tower 3 (Great view of KL)

Changkat Raja Chulan - There's a lot of bars there so take you pick

Cigar Retail/Shop

Ember - Curve 

Kameelah

Concorde Hotel KL - They got some nice stuff there

• Like 1

Zinzan-I've made a reservation for Marinis 57 tomorrow night so will post my thoughts after :) Photos look cool of the view, was either there or LCDH.Not had a smoke for abour 3 weeks or so now so looking forward to it, hope they keep the cigars well.

Torsion, cant remember if they do but they have cigar lounge so they should have. They're expensive but the view is magnificent especially at sunset. LCDH is expensive but they have really good stocks sometimes you can find some aged bargains.  

Hello, my kerbau smokers.

I'm planning on getting a box for a gift to my friend but was wondering how much the tax is in Singapore. Probably going to get a box of 25.

Marinis 57 - what a great place to spend as my last night in KL with my cousin after a family wedding!Great views of the city/KLCC.

Cigar smoked - Partagas Serie D No.4 (101RM) nicely kept in their small walk in humidor.Good draw and enjoyable smoke!Was my cousins first smoke,I chose a Montecristo No.4 for him which he enjoyed and he was already able to tell the difference between that and my Paratagas in terms of depth of flavour. Fairly pricey place,whiskeys were too accurately measured and costly but excellent atmosphere-music was at a good level not loud enough to affect conversation. Staff ok,attentive and fairly friendly.

The Connoisseur Divan on Friday night - completely different atmosphere to Marinis but still very enjoyable. Interior had a pretty large walk in humidor,plenty of choices!Seating was quite limited inside,there was a live band playing and a group occupying the downstairs section.

Cigar chosen this evening was Cohiba Siglo VI (76SGD) wow what a great smoke, I thought I had tried one before but realise now I'm mistaken.Very well kept in their humidor,excellent draw and burn all the way down to the nub.Flavour was excellent as to be expected from Cohiba. I sat outside enjoying the music/vibes.Staff were nice,Raul deserves a mention for being informative on whiskey and smokes.

Was on a roll so decided to hit the Quaich bar on Havelock Road on Sat night. A much quieter area than where I had gone the previous night but that's not a bad thing!They have a huge selection of whiskey and they pour a decent amount in comparison with the last two places.

Cigar selected was the mighty Cohiba Behike 52!Been spoilt for choice this week but when I'm back in NY I won't get the choice (lol that's my excuse!) A shorter smoke than I'm used to and I was gutted it had to end!Smoked right down to the nub as far as I dare - flavour developed nicely from start to finish.Priced at 85SGD this was an expensive smoke. I made friends with two local Singaporean guys who said they could get them at almost quarter of the price online after taxes!Anyway I ended up smoking an H.Upmann Magnum 46 after which was ok but wish I'd had that one first!Was a nice chilled bar with a small smoking room but great if you want a more relaxed atmosphere.

Heading to another place tonight-meeting up with my new Sing friends.Update to follow!

• Like 1

Try the cohiba pyramides since budget is not a  big issue. Been told  one the best release past 2 years of La flor de cano grandioso asia asia pacific release.

Final update - so last Tuesday night I ended up going to a place called La Masion Du Whiskey with my new Sing friend who recommended the place.

Not so much of a cigar bar (although there was a small humidor) but a great whiskey bar with outdoor smoking area.

Had a really great time here and tried a variety of whiskey mainly picked out by my friend Shaun.

I was again spoilt for choice in terms of smokes - my friend bought a selection of about 10 cigars from his personal selection and spotted me!What a gent!

I chose a Partagas Serie P No.2 - wow a seriously well kept and decent smoke. I think I prefered this so far other that the Serie D No.4's that I've tried. The taste was smoother and less spicy/peppery than the No.4 and bonus longer lasting smoke :)

A notable whiskey I had that night was a Glendronach 15Y (special bottling) for LMDW. Was blown away with this and would recommend you guys try it if you're ever at this store.

My last night in Sing was Friday - I was in two minds whether to have a quick drink and smoke before getting on the plane but decided to meet up with Shaun. We went for a simple meal of bak kuh teh (one of my all time fav meals) before heading to a bar in Changi Village.

Again - what a legend, bought a few of his own selection and I chose a Ramone Allone (not sure which but it was robusto length but slightly slimmer gauge) Another nice smoke, this time no whiskey but some white wine.

All in all a very cool time in Asia and ended up smoking about twice as many Cubans as expected!

Now back to the cold in NYC...