Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Travel talk

Now that everyone can fly, everyone, um, flies. Some more than others. Chances are, the place you're travelling to is a forum member's base or frequent destination. Make the most of the time you'll be there by asking here.

18521.jpg

just come back from Bangkok, short weekend trip my son

1012991_10151684129519591_1108608508_n_z

think the shopping and dining have far surpass kl level,

will ask my boss some biz trips over to understand further

484676_10151684139984591_544312135_n_zps

j

484676_10151684139984591_544312135_n_zps

Thank god such monstrosity is not in KL, Bangkok can keep this. Food given..... hospitality given...... cheap alcohol and booze given....... 

Most memorable re Bangkok= Skytrain.  Rows and rows of concrete pillars.

Most memorable re Paris= Metro. Fully automated driverless trains.

Most memorable re Tokyo/Osaka= train network. On time, all the time, clean and affordable.

HK MTR- nuff said, and the spread of the Octopus card.

Singapore MRT= one of the few redeeming features of the island state.

I have an inexplicable fascination with mass public transport.

Have yet to see the wonders of Swiss engineering.

Does Sydney have any? I dont remember any, i vaguely remember tram but i could be mistaken for Melbourne. But i remember the jetty or wharf. I like Sydney but its bloody expensive tho 

Sydney public transport infrastructure spend is at least 10 years behind.  If they spend the billions required right now (money which they dont have), the full benefits will only flow in 10 years time, by which time they would have to spend at least double the billions of todays money to catch up again. The money required to achieve world class standards dwarfed the collective political balls of all politicians added together.  

There is a grand total of one "tram" line in Sydney (called light rail).  It services areas where no one wants to go to, and is bleeding left right and centre.  Melbourne trams are slightly better.

We do have a nice harbour, nice bridge, opera house, and beaches galore. 

Petepan, if you're interested in urban rail, you must pay a visit to Shanghai. One of the largest rail networks in the world (the largest now? not sure) and certainly the fastest growing. All sorts of rail networks there, from light rail to maglev trains. Incredibly efficient, moving huge numbers of people daily, and very well integrated with other public transport like bus. 

I enjoy taking trains, not intercity trains but proper trains. Have done KL to Bangkok, travelled in Kazakhstan on train, that was pretty cool. When i was in Mumbai, i thought their train station was enormous and beautiful just didnt have the balls to take their train. A bit too much adventure for me. 

KTM trains were quite the adventure. Took to KL with friends and to Jerantut with my family just for the experience of it.

I've taken the train to Bangkok before. Great food on board. 

Yeah dude, the food is freshly prepared and sent to your seat. The porter service is amazing. I really enjoyed the Thai trains although they look dirty on the outside but on the inside its super clean. Its no E&O but it's really good. 

the bombs going off in southern thailand that night were slightly disconcerting though. and the mildly inebriated backpackers too. 

Ive had similar experience bombs in Bangkok during the New Years just spoiled our whole celebration. We stayed in on NYE, thought of popping champagne at mid night, so we were at the pool and then started hearing bombs and people screaming and running. We were freaking out, managed to find a perch high enough to see whats goin on next door and realised it was an open air cinema. 

I cant tell you how freaked out we were, we were receiving sms from home about the bombs in Bangkok and be careful, that sort of shit . We didnt get any information what so ever it was total black out in terms of the local news. We started drinking in the afternoon received news in the late evening, sobered us up completely. Then onwards watching the news for the development. After that was the countdown and the next door "bombing" incident. Of course some of us were not satisfied at just partying at the hotel and still wanted party so we went out at abt 2am.

I dont know whether consciously or subconsciously that was my last time in Bangkok. 

Something I posted earlier in the year, for Mr. Uturn (sorry for the late reply). Posting here just so others get the benefit.

(#menswear) places of interest in Melbourne. 

Yes, the shop you're referring to is City Hatters and I understand it's a Melbourne institution. I got mine at Smart Alec in Fitzroy, another specialty hat store.

The crown in the classic menswear scene here is Patrick Johnson for MTM tailoring (South Melbourne). Then a recent addition is Double Monk which carries competitively priced Lobb, C&J, EGs, and Cleverly (located on Smith St, near Smart Alec). American Tailors and Henry Bucks are the haberdashers in the CBD who have been here forever and have stuff which are nice to look at, but prices are exorbitant.

For the fashion forward and designer label chasers, there is Harrolds (Junya, Martin Margiela, Balanciaga, Givenchy, Thom Browne, Tom Ford, etc).

For streetwear there's Incu, Somewhere and the CdG pocket shop.

Bespoke tailoring and shoe making here is close to non-existant. There are a few places which do it, but I haven't seen anything remotely worth the money they are charging.

As is typical with Melbourne, most of these places are rarely located on main streets - most are in little backalleys or just off the beaten path.

Thanks 6..now i have other places to go other than DFO.. :)

Wondering if there's any pre-love shops there?.. and are there any home-grown brands? 

Thanks 6..now i have other places to go other than DFO..  :)

Wondering if there's any pre-love shops there?.. and are there any home-grown brands? 

Can't really say where are the best spots as I'm not into the pre-loved scene, but there are Mecwa, Salvation Army and St. Vincents stores which are scattered around all over Melbourne that sell these goods.

Camberwell market on Sundays will have loads of vendors from all over selling this their second hand stuff (not just clothing, they sell furniture, WWII items, etc.) 

I remember tryin an awesome ox tongue at small Japanese stall at Melbourne Central

The one in the narrow walkway - yeh that's some pretty good stuff, especially the spicy version where they throw in fresh chopped chillies.