• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 terrorsquad

terrorsquad

Megatimer

• Yang Berbahagia
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Balint, Scheer and Materna are bloody pricey.Some only do bespoke.Mafteihas RTW and affordable bespoke

#42 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Hello all. Making a trip to the mecca of menswear - Italy.

Rome - Florence - Venice. Maybe a trip down to Milan for a day.

Just trying to shamelessly crowd source some noteworthy places to go to - places to eat, drink and of course #menswear.

I'll drop by Liverano's atelier in Florence, even if its just to fondle the merchandise :)

#43 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

epic

#44 mamzer

mamzer

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

Don't miss out Nerbone in Mercato Centrale in Florence. Their pig's stomach filled buns are at best intriguing but the other hot food they serve is excellent. For a fuss free dinner, head to Trattoria da Gratella for a massive serving of Bistecca alla Fiorentina and ribollita soup. Nearby to it is a really good pasta restaurant, I Tozzo di Pane.

Be sure to buy tickets to the Uffizi in advance. The online reservation fee of > 10 euros is worth it as you'll either end up waiting in line for 2-3 hours or buying tickets from a tout. I'll also set aside some time (and quite a bit of money) for Farmaceutica Santa Maria Novella which is one of the world's oldest pharmacies still in operation. While some of their products are also available in London and New York,it's substantially cheaper in Florence and the shop/church itself is an attraction by itself. If wine is your thing, vineyard tours where you end up drinking enough Chianti to last for a week, can also be arranged.

In Venice,forget what people say about the gondola being a rip-off.Yes, it's a rip-off and somewhat kitsch but do yourself a favour and go for a little scoot. You may wish to stay in Murano or Burano where things are slightly less touristy and you can still reach the main attractions by vaparetto in 20 minutes. The pigeons in Piazza San Marco are NASTY. Don't go near them - I remember seeing them eating one of their comrades who died mid-flight.

I think it takes more than a day to appreciate Milano but if that's all the time you have, you must spend the evening partaking in the popular aperitivo culture. At around 6-8 p.m, many bars will have a spread of charcuterie that you're free to eat if you bought a drink. To blend in, order an aperol spritz or negroni. You should have been well acquainted with the former if you spent a couple of days in Venice.

I have nothing much to say about Rome other than to avoid self-service restaurants near the Vatican. 

#45 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

Even more epic response.

Thanks mamzer - I appreciate the time it took to write that.

#46 MusellaDembechMilano

MusellaDembechMilano

Smalltimer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMilano, Italia

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

Milano actually has been the real mecca of tailor starting from the 50s and also in its traditions, before the austrians with the "Accademia dei Sartori". Giuseppe Garibaldi had been the president of the unione milanese sarti and all the greatest tailoring houses were in Milano.

Beside this, I suggest you to spend some days in Milano as it is, with very much probability, the most hidden city within the italian territory.

This is due to the fact that it was a town just like all the other "cities" such as Firenze, Venezia, Napoli, but with the industrialisation it has been covered and hidden by new old buildings, and some of those 2 floors buildings were substituted by 4 or 5 floors buildings. Still you can see this type of evolutions in the historical centre where the old time villas mix with the bauhaus and postwar structures. So my advise is to get lost in the historical centre, take a walk in its narrow streets and admire the old time beauty of Milano, I'm sure you will not regret it. Milano it is not only a fashion city.

#47 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

One of the most beautiful sunset.

20131208_174720_zps8ddc920c.jpg

#48 Bkt

Bkt

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

Hey gents making a trip to LA and San Fran in mid June for a company trip. I'm taking some time off to visit the area since i've never been to the US, quite exited for the trip. I have more time in San Fran then LA , any tips of places on and off the beaten track i should check out? So far i've thought of checking out the Alden store and the Gustin Warehouse. Suggestions are very welcomed.

*if you need a mule i may be able to accommodate*

#49 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

Any good fabric finds in Berlin? Heading over in a couple of days

#50 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Berlin is great for thrifting, I found. Also excellent for workwear. There's a few streets around Mitte that were packed with menswear vintage/thrift/workwear places. 

#51 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

Absolutely try Mettbroetchen.

#52 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:50 AM

Thanks both. I think I've got the workwear angle covered cuz I'm going to the bread and butter tradeshow with the folks from Tuckshop & Sundry Supplies, so will deffo rub shoulders with the major stores. I was hopeful of finding a good cloth bin, but google yielded minimal results.

#53 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

Go to Google.de. Search for Stoffe in Berlin. Maybe also Kurzwaren in Berlin. Some hits:
http://www.gebrueder-berger.de/

This was mentioned on a German menswear forum:
http://www.fashion-berlin.eu/

#54 arc

arc

Megatimer

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Sweet. Muchos gracias.

#55 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:46 PM

Looks like I will be travelling to Hainan Island soon to visit the ancestral home. A couple of hundred years ago a certain Tok was doing quite well over there, and had built himself a house -- the sort with a courtyard in the middle, wooden eaves, and intricate paintings on the walls. The Chinese understanding of a house is more like a complex. This is a goldsmithing family (explanation for my inclination towards the crafts?) before the China-wide social restructuring and the eventual impoverishment of the family and the emigration of certain Toks over to Malaysia. The house still stands, though most of it is in a poor condition. There is a bit of land that certain members of the family still farms on, and there is a coconut grove behind the house with the graves of several dozen Toks.

I wonder if six days is too little to have a Hainanese suit made for myself. It would be great if there is like a village tailor. How cool is that.

I have an insane love for shellfish, and for the longest time ever, I have always thought that my ancestors must have eaten lots of it because it felt like primal food to me. I mean, I had European housemates who live their entire lives without ever needing to eat any shellfish. Me, I was pining for seafood most of the time.

So the other day, I asked my father if the ancestral house is situated anywhere near a beach. I wanted to know if Toks have have been eating much seafood. His reply: "You can see the beach from the house."

#56 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Pardon my ignorance, is there a "Hainanese suit"?

#57 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:39 PM

I meant the Hainanese interpretation of a Western suit. Basically, a suit, but made by Hainanese in Hainan. I'll have to find one the first day I'm there.

#58 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

Be afraid be very afraid. I will never do it. 

Here is one though. 

海南红帮高级成衣定制工作室

http://weibo.com/p/1005053425722920

陈松林先生

联系电话 13078921308

邮箱 1309540362@qq.com

现在来普及下本工作室的相关历史:本工作室是的红帮裁缝的第七代传人陈松林先生开设的,那么啥子是红帮裁缝呢,一言蔽之,它是中国历史上有着重要历史贡献的创业群体。呵呵,这绝非虚浮之此,而是有充分历史依据的。

宁波是我国著名的红帮裁缝诞生地,中国的第一个本帮和西装裁缝流派都出于宁波人。宁波人以前称西方人为“红毛人”专门替“红毛人”做衣服的裁缝,也因此称为“红帮”裁缝。

红帮不仅是一种技艺,更是一份文化遗产。它凝聚了中国近代服装业的180余年历史精髓。

19563月至四月由上海迁至北京的208名红帮师傅成立了北京“红都”服装店。“红都”是专为国家领导人制作服装的服装店,毛泽东、刘少奇、周恩来、邓小平、江泽明、李鹏等党和国家领导人的服装都是由该店制作。

1956年秋,有12名红帮名师进入中南海,展示了中国现代服装最高水平。

在香港、日本及东南亚各国,红帮裁缝仍然是主宰高端西服的主力。当西服经过现代化、工业化的滥觞之后,纯手工的量体裁衣制作方式仍然是满足部分高端顾客的首要之选。消费要求在世界的各大时装之都,高级定制成为顶级时装的主要生产方式。

目前,国内嫡传的红帮裁缝已不足百人,且都年事已高,正值壮年的红帮传人更是屈指可数,呵呵,俺们陈师傅就是其中的一个。

#59 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 10 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

Father went to Beijing with friends instead of to Hainan with me.

Tomorrow, I go to Makati City, Manila for 3 days.

#60 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

Makati City is so wow. I'll write more once I'm back. Btw, wealthy Malaysians should finally learn to be more selective whom they marry. European aristocracy have always known this. So do the Filipino upper crust. When the son of a wealthy family marries the daughter of another wealthy family, it concentrates wealth. After a few generations of doing this, the whole country belongs to a couple dozen families.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users