• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

I'm guessing you've just seen how the Ayalas, Aquinos and etc run the country. But did you see how the other 99% of the people live.

#62 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 March 2015 - 06:32 PM

Makati was amazing.
manila1_zps4h5xw8rp.jpg
(View out of hotel balcony)

I personally found it better planned and built than any part of KL. It's quite American in concept. Their idea of a condominium is of the American sort, and totally not like ours. What Makati really needs though are more green parks.

More coming later tonight...

#63 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:08 AM

Years ago, I sold some Solbiati linens to a customer in Manila. I found him very pleasant to deal with and very communicative. He told me a lot about himself; to reciprocate, I told him about myself. I did not know then that eventually he would play such an influential role in what I do. We had many more encounters including one in person in KL. He is the catalyst for my going to Manila. I met up with him for dinner at Sentro 1771 in Fort Bonifacio, a very American-looking portion of town.

manila6_zps1r9fk12k.jpg
(On the way to Fort Bonifacio from Terminal 4)

manila2_zpsr84inqew.jpg
(My favourite dish of the evening. Fried Mozarella balls.)

manila3_zpsvd8kmeru.jpg
(Lamb stew)

manila4_zpsucjtv98w.jpg
(Ikan kembong and a pork dish)

manila5_zpspagmtxat.jpg
(A mango)

#64 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

I met with many people the next day. From 10:30am till 6pm I talked non-stop to a succession of people. The people I met are really the most interesting part of my trip. But due to the high profile of these people, they and their families are under constant public scrutiny, so it is best I do not talk too much about them.

But I can show a picture of the place. I say "place" and not "shop" because the way things get sold in this place is very different from the typical luxury retail outlet.
manila7_zps3vvoigym.jpg

After all the meetings, I walked Makati for several hours by myself. It was already dark.

#65 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

I was walking when a small guy who fell in step with me said to me, "Look! Knife!" I looked at him. He had a 1.5" black anodized blade in his right hand. "Give phone!" he commanded me.

"I'm not giving you my phone," I said to him. "Look! Look!" he said, moving the knife to effect a menacing gesture.

He was a whole head shorter than me, and weighed maybe 35kg. He looked young, but it was difficult to ascertain his age because of his severe undernourishment. I started preparing myself to deliver an explosive punch in his face. Without conscious effort, I was already subtly moving my shoulders joints around as a warm up to the punch.

I once trained with weights using the Anaconda Protocol. The routine with Anaconda was very different from other routines. Every rep was an explosive rep. You moved the weight as fast as you could. I loved this routine because I felt amazing after a workout.

"So this is how you are doing it," I said to him, readying myself for an explosive punch into his face. I guessed that even if he stabbed me while I punched him, a 1.5" puncture wound wouldn't be fatal. I was only afraid my veganism had severely eroded my explosive power, and that instead of a knockout punch, it merely hurts him a little and he would stab me repeatedly. That would be quite unpleasant for me.

The problem was solved when he abruptly changed his demand. "Money for food!," he cried. I shook my head. I'm not giving him anything. "Money for food!" he cried again. I gave him the coins in my pocket. He thanked me and left me alone.

#66 urban

urban

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Interesting. Kara-tailor.

#67 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

I continued walking Makati after the encounter. A customer in KL told me that Makati is like Singapore. He's right. The Ayala Greenbelt malls are a complex of malls separated by gardens. Greenbelt is not a mall. It is a complex of malls. It's huge.
manila11_zpso5g0bnq0.jpg

There's even a revival old school barber shop.
manila13_zpsxotif9bm.jpg

The retail scene here is large and sophisticated.

#68 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:29 PM

The next morning, I had a "fun" appointment. Kevin Yapjoco is an early member of this forum and a well-known Manila menswear enthusiast. We had waffles for breakfast. He said joonian said hi to me.
manila14_zpszqozajoz.jpg

The buttonholes on Kevin's shirts are all hand sewn.
manila15_zps30fmoukf.jpg

He used to be in data analytics; he is now manager of The Signet Store, which is a Filipino version of The Armoury. It stocks much the same assortment as The Armoury. We opened shop for the day.
manila16_zpsizd88uik.jpg

The jeans is standing up by itself.
manila17_zpsg8t6c0si.jpg

Drakes squares and Fox umbrellas.
manila18_zps778bk5zb.jpg

#69 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 15 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I had to rush back to the "place" after that to see the chairperson/owner of a company with a market cap of roughly RM 3 billion. Then, I was assigned a Land Rover, a driver and an assistant to go buy the hand woven blanket I had said I wanted.
manila19_zpszaggyeim.jpg
(Me in the back seat of a Land Rover with driver and assistant in the front. The closest experience to high living for the foreseeable future.)

While shopping for the blanket, I saw someone who seems to have flown in directly from Pitti.
manila20_zpspyrxqkmc.jpg
(American corporate buyer. He spoke in a very effeminate way. Totally gay.)

#70 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

Makati was amazing.
manila1_zps4h5xw8rp.jpg
(View out of hotel balcony)

I personally found it better planned and built than any part of KL. It's quite American in concept. Their idea of a condominium is of the American sort, and totally not like ours. What Makati really needs though are more green parks.

More coming later tonight...

It's just Makati jeremy, try going out of that. But i do agree Makati is well planned and quit nice. Stuff is much cheaper there too compared to here. Like Adidas sneakers.

#71 urban

urban

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

I vaguely remember that Makati is predominantly owned by Ayala family. Having old money and connections can really help to bolster the fortunes.

But the idea of going through the metal detectors in each building in Philippines always worry me. Not that they have it. But how lax they administer them.

#72 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:24 PM

I found the prices of food there quite high! A little higher than KL. On par with Genting.

The other thing I found remarkable is just how dynamic the driving there is. Their idea of sufficient space between cars is 2".

#73 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

that sounds just like Jakarta/most of urban Southeast Asia!

#74 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

Here in KL drivers leave more space between vehicles.

The other thing which struck me is how polite and service-oriented the Filipinos are. We in KL are indifferent and cynical. But we are still a lot better than, say, the Germans.

#75 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

haha.. right on. 

#76 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members