Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

kotmj's shift towards a meat-reduced diet: Sort of like a diary.

Cholesterol is at 3.8 mmol/l. Same value as 3 years ago. Below 5.2 is considered optimal.

The low levels of inflammation (inflammation in the arteries is what causes plaque build-up), coupled with the resting blood pressure of athletes, and the low cholesterol levels indicate that my arteries are wide open. No signs of metabolic syndrome anywhere.

I'm unlikely to die from stroke or myocardial infarction. I guess I only have to worry about cancer.

I tried using the saturated salt water technique to boil sweet potato. This is a technique where you boil the potatoes in water with incredibly high salt content. With potatoes, the result is something like baked jacket potatoes.

Using this technique on sweet potatoes yields the absolute best sweet potatoes I've ever eaten. Better than boiled or baked. The skin comes off easily. The potato is dry and fluffy, not waterlogged.

gzto.jpg

Ahh, now I've got to try making this too!

Interesting talk by an ueber-oncologist.

His conclusions are truly ridiculous. Take statins and aspirin daily for the long term to keep inflammation down? How about consuming anti-inflammatory food instead? The Chinese and Indian have identified thousands of herbs and foods which are anti-inflammatory. The body of knowledge that has been built up there is considerable. I am boggled by the stupidity of his conclusion. I think it's because he is very sympathetic to the drug makers, some of whom may be funding his research.

Also, the guy talks about prevention all the time, so how about this: What causes inflammation, so we could avoid it in the first place?

Also, for a lifetime of daily aspirin intake, a 20% reduction in cancer risk is hardly earth moving. There must be several thousand studies out now that show a larger reduction in cancer risk via very moderate consumption of cruciferous vegetables.

Instead of these avenues of thinking, the thing he is preaching at every damned talk of his and his books is to take statins and aspirin daily. What an idiot. Which would a mother pick for her child: eat more vegetables or take statins and aspirins daily?

His book has only 3 stars on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/The-End-of-Illness-ebook/dp/B004T4KQYS

Maybe it's true that doctors have no clue about nutrition.

It is quite true about aspirin although not for cancer, it decreases the chances of heart attack afaik. It's blood thinning drug and so is statin. 

Cooking red rice for the first time. One does find such rice in vegetarian restaurants, but theirs seem different. Innocuous. This red rice here is really red, which was what prompted me to take a pic. I found it very easy to cook well. Brown rice I find impossible to cook.

DSC01460_zpsd26f64e2.jpg

I had the first significant meat meal in months. It was a salmon steak. Immediately after the meal, some bloating and some unpleasant sensations in the digestive tract. Nothing major, and it's a familiar sensation from before I reduced my meat intake.

The majority of people in this world, sadly, eat foods that are rubbish from a nutritional standpoint. It is a combination of not knowing better, a stubborn attitude (everyone eats burgers so it must be fine) and affordability. Good food is not always cheap.

I got interested in nutrition around 5 years ago and it affected me profoundly. The fact that food could actually make you sick and even kill you was something I'd never considered. Neither was the realisation that food, either ingested or abstained from, is the best medicine for anything that might ail you.

I went vegetarian, cutting out all meat and felt great. I also started subscribing to the belief of combining foods correctly. Most people think this is hogwash but I am convinced of its accuracy. The no. 1 rule of food combining is 'no complex proteins with complex carbs'. That's what 99% of the world does. Burgers, chicken rice, lasagna. I used to eat that way too and always felt sluggish after a meal but blamed it on rice.

But when I stopped combining meat with bread, rice, potatoes and pasta , I felt great.

And I lost a lot of weight. Almost 15 kg. but not in a Matthew mcconaughey sort of way. It just slipped off gradually.

Now, since last year, I've kicked it up a notch. No wheat, no rice, no dairy, no sugar. At all. I've also reintroduced meat once a week...but the meat has to be lean and clean.

And I feel even better.

You would think id be starving but it's just the opposite....I eat like a pig and have no shortage of choice.

The only thing is I find myself eating at home much more since you can't trust restaurants to do everything your way. So I find myself cooking a lot more and enjoy it as well.

Kotmj, congrats for taking the first step. It is truly shocking that the number one cancer in these parts is cancer of the digestive organs so I feel there's no harm in being selective about what you put into them.

I've also stopped buying shoes and this has benefited me greatly.

Fiddler - Can you post a sample menu of what you eat in a week? Just want to see what's available and where to get it. 

Also, what do the shoes have to do with the diet?

The majority of people in this world, sadly, eat foods that are rubbish from a nutritional standpoint. It is a combination of not knowing better, a stubborn attitude (everyone eats burgers so it must be fine) and affordability. Good food is not always cheap.

I got interested in nutrition around 5 years ago and it affected me profoundly. The fact that food could actually make you sick and even kill you was something I'd never considered. Neither was the realisation that food, either ingested or abstained from, is the best medicine for anything that might ail you.

I went vegetarian, cutting out all meat and felt great. I also started subscribing to the belief of combining foods correctly. Most people think this is hogwash but I am convinced of its accuracy. The no. 1 rule of food combining is 'no complex proteins with complex carbs'. That's what 99% of the world does. Burgers, chicken rice, lasagna. I used to eat that way too and always felt sluggish after a meal but blamed it on rice.

But when I stopped combining meat with bread, rice, potatoes and pasta , I felt great.

And I lost a lot of weight. Almost 15 kg. but not in a Matthew mcconaughey sort of way. It just slipped off gradually.

Now, since last year, I've kicked it up a notch. No wheat, no rice, no dairy, no sugar. At all. I've also reintroduced meat once a week...but the meat has to be lean and clean.

And I feel even better.

You would think id be starving but it's just the opposite....I eat like a pig and have no shortage of choice.

The only thing is I find myself eating at home much more since you can't trust restaurants to do everything your way. So I find myself cooking a lot more and enjoy it as well.

Kotmj, congrats for taking the first step. It is truly shocking that the number one cancer in these parts is cancer of the digestive organs so I feel there's no harm in being selective about what you put into them.

I've also stopped buying shoes and this has benefited me greatly.

Sounds cliched what I'm about to say, but thanks for sharing your experience.

I've been telling everyone who cares to listen about my veganism. I tell them how life has changed completely for me, how my mood has durably improved, how my energy levels have been elevated, how I just know this is the better solution. Then I'd tell them to try it out themselves for three weeks, and if they do not see a positive change, to go back to their usual diet.

The number of people I managed to sell on the idea? Zero.

There is a more general lesson to be learnt from this but I know not what. There is a certain dogged firmness in people's conviction that to live means to eat meat. That they need meat at every meal. They do not even attempt to reason with me -- it's something they do not wish to discuss. I eat meat. Meat is good. Period. Let's talk about something else.

It's like a religion. You do not debate it with the non-believers.

A person who is rational about this would experiment with veganism because of the many indications that this may be the better solution. But they do not because this is not about rationalism, this is about religion.

A more general question: If society can be so wrong about something so fundamental (its diet), what else are we completely wrong about?

I have two problems with this diet. One, I have lost so much weight that I'm very skinny. Apparently, I just need to eat more. Second, I have very dry skin. Still looking for a solution to this.

Now that I come to think about it, another thing we do as a matter of course, and one which society expects you to do, and which the overwhelming majority of people do, without any probing, or experimentation with alternatives, is getting wed. People marry. They do it as naturally and as without question as eating meat at every meal.

^ banana leaf rice is vegetarian (if you don't order the fried meats and curry meats).

So is roti and dhal. So is garlic naan. I might have a chance.

Then again, I'll nvr stop bak kut teh. Maybe reduce intake.

Here's a breakfast/snack I make twice or thrice a week. It's actually quite time consuming to make, yet delivers relatively few calories, which I why I don't make it more often. If I'm going to make something, it has to be quite filling and last me quite a while, which this oatmeal doesn't.

The reason I make this oatmeal is for the exotic things generally absent from the standard Malaysian diet. You can go for months on the SMD without ever encountering a single berry. It's also a way to include flaxseed in the diet.

I start by grinding flaxseed in an Ikea pepper mill. Really time consuming, worse than handgrinding coffee.

IMG_3347_zpsff5246ad.jpg

The ground flaxseeds go into a bowl. Over that a cup or two of oatmeal, two dashes of cinnamon, a dash of allspice, and a handful of dried, sweetened cranberries.

IMG_3348_zps35f2c45d.jpg

Pour hot water over it and leave covered for maybe 10 minutes. Mix it with a spoon, then place in a waterbath to cool down.

Instead of a waterbath, you could take a walk around your taman perumahan while waiting for it to cool down like Goldilocks in the woods. But we are busy people, so a waterbath. I even place my coffee mug in the waterbath to cool it down to drinkable temperature.

Mix in some frozen berries; I happen to have blueberries in the freezer,

IMG_3350_zps981ef9ac.jpg

The berries thaw quickly if you fold them into the warm porridge.

What makes this oatmeal porridge special is it contains several things generally seen as being very good for you but which are completely absent from the standard Malaysian diet. I have no idea how to eat cranberries or blueberries or flaxseed if not for this porridge.

Diet is a product of conditioning and family practices, ingrained at a very early stage...so it is very hard to get people to entertain the possibility that there might be a better way to eat.

It's a bit like a pinching shoe...until you experience it, why should you do anything?

I think an individual needs some sort of a personal crisis to confront the fact that they may need to reboot their eating habits. 

In my case, it was feeling tired and sluggish after every meal. For some people, it could be way more serious....diabetes, or colonic disease.

I think a great place to start with understanding your metabolism, nutrition and how foods affect your wellbeing is the work of Dr. Bernard Jensen.

I also found the book Eat Right For Your Type by Dr. D'Adamo very useful.

It's worth pointing out that not everything in these books is gospel or 100% accurate for everyone.

Just take from them as much wisdom as you can carry.

That's v what I have for breakfast but instead of berries I use dates n walnuts. Scrumptious brekkie. I admit I have to have another granular bar then im full for bfast

Made a roselle drink today. The Cubans have evolved an elaborate method to make their national drink based on the roselle that takes a full day to make, but I do it the starkly abbreviated way. Boil roselle with water. Drink.

IMG_3367_zps46e97159.jpg

Interesting thread here, reading it for the first time. I'm curious though, what if one doesn't eat meat but drinks a meat based soup? eg bkt or bone based broth

^I think that's still meat.

Here's a totally original kotmj recipe. I did not see it in a book or website. Developed it out of thin air.

Red rice with fresh pinto beans and yam

IMG_3627_zps5c25d03b.jpg

• Like 1

Every since joonian posted that link somewhere else on this forum about Li-Ka Shing, I have wondered how Li lasted so long in his job and looks so trim. In my job, I meet quite a bit with people who drive businesses -- not those who labour in the galleys, but those who hold the whip and the helm -- those who drive things forward.

When you've met enough of them, you basically do not want their jobs. Most of them have a heavy disease burden. They are obese, or severely bloated, and have a strange sort of problem I don't see with other people -- overrespiration, a certain jumpiness, which they suppress when they have to meet other important people but which they let loose when they are sitting down with a tailor.

They are basically all about their business and their bodies are neglected. They also eat on the company's account, in good restaurants, so they really stuff it in. Not spaghetti aglio e olio or pomodoro but the high price stuff which are fatty and meaty.

These are not people who can last into their 80's the way Li-Ka Shing has done.

The point of this post is, a few months ago I wondered if Li-Ka Shing is vegan. Because to my mind only a vegan can deal with the requirements of Li's job and last so long and look so good at his age.

But it took me until today to actually do a google search. I was not optimistic I would find anything, but lo behold! Li is vegan!!! I knew it!!!

http://venturebeat.com/tag/li-ka-shing-2/