Build Theme!

Photo

kotmj's shift towards a meat-reduced diet: Sort of like a diary.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Eating well is really not that easy or convenient while traveling.

The shop in Brunei now closes at 9 p.m. By then, most restaurants are closed, or closing. So dinner is tricky.

Had a German potato salad yesterday for lunch. It's more vegetarian than vegan: it has boiled eggs and cold cream and bacon fries in it (shudder). For dinner, at 10 p.m., the only shop still open near my hotel was an Indian place. The kitchen was closed, so only the pre-cooked stuff was available. Had the most spartan dinner in recent memory: dhal and rice. Turns out the Indians call this Dal Baht, and is widely eaten twice a day in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dal_bhat

This morning, I walked around and found a Chinese vegetarian restaurant near the hotel. Had a passable brunch.

Had sushi later, and went for the the sort of sushi I normally had zero reason to eat: cucumber sushi. Also had a vegetarian sushi wrap that has cucumber, carrots, avocado and mayonaise (alas) in it.

Dinner just now was again at the Indian place. Again the kitchen was closed. This time, they brought out a heaping plate of superlative steaming rice and a big plate of dhal. About twice the volume compared to last night.

Did some groceries during the day so I have fruits and canned beans (baked beans and red bean dessert) in the room.

#22 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

"But dude," you might want to ask, "isn't the whole point of Multimedia Superkoridor, Smart tunnel, Wawasan 2020, 1Malaysia -- in short, civilization -- is so we need not eat like the Nepalese?"

You're probably right. Except I feel great. Also, most people my age are out of shape and obese. I look, measure, and feel peoples' bodies as part of my job, and I almost never come across someone my age with such low bodyfat levels as myself... I think you would have to kill yourself to reach such low bodyfat levels on a meat-heavy diet. With a vegan diet, it comes almost naturally, at least it did for me.

P8290524_zpsdadc88b6.jpg

#23 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:36 AM

Wah so ripped now. Damn. 

#24 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think the vegan diet should not be marketed as health-promoting. It's just too vague and nobody cares about health until they lose it anyway.

The vegan diet should be marketed as abs promoting, a promise Men's Health has been selling for decades.

mh-cover-0808-753410.jpg

cam-gigandet-mens-health-december-2008-0

ryan-phillippe-7-for-all-mankind-mens-he

#25 ivanswk

ivanswk

Megatimer

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

https://www.facebook...151832582028407

Dinner just now was again at the Indian place. Again the kitchen was closed. This time, they brought out a heaping plate of superlative steaming rice and a big plate of dhal. About twice the volume compared to last night.

#26 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

Spoken like a true scientist, one for whom the world is ambiguous.

#27 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:46 AM

Loren Cordain, one of the major evangelists for the Paleo Diet. To me, he looks fat and tired.

#28 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Had a workout today of squats and presses. I'm really skinny nowadays, even more so than before, so I was afraid I was losing muscle mass. But the figures from the lifts are quite comforting. I was able to add weight to the bar for the presses. I've not squatted in maybe 3 weeks, and I figured I prefer Rippetoe's squat routine over John Barban's, so I used a weight for the squat that is a few kilos lighter than the last time I squatted Rippetoe-style (maybe 1.5 months ago). Amazingly, I was able to squat it. It doesn't appear I'm losing muscle, though I look very "deflated".

I noticed that my tummy no longer bloats out. It's pretty flat the whole time. I thought all along that a protruding tummy comes naturally as one grows older and one's hormonal profile changes. But no. The whole day through it's as flat as when I wake up. I think I've lost a great deal of visceral fat together with the loss of subcutaneous fat.

In about 3:30 of this documentary, you see just how much visceral fat there can be in a human, and it's all concentrated around the central area of the body.

It's not water retention that gives people a belly. It's liters upon liters of visceral fat.

#29 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Had a workout today. Weights increased on all lifts. This despite a vegan diet. No whey. No meat or dairy or eggs. I wonder if this is sustainable.

#30 "6"

"6"

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationAnak Kedah

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

^ do you have rice+beans PWO? 

#31 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

I do not have a pre-workout anything. I just workout between meals.

#32 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

I wonder if I'll ever go back to eating "normally" again. It doesn't seem all that likely.

Before going meatless, I thought it was normal to have these low-level discomforts coming from the digestive tract. After all, the body is working on digesting the food, so obviously I should feel something. A bit of discomfort, a bit of pain every now and then. It was normal, I thought, to be affected by the strains of digesting food.

I feel none of that now. I don't feel my body struggling to digest food.

In fact I feel different. Lighter. Calmer. Definitely more energy. I feel so good on this diet, I am reluctant to go back to how I felt previously.

#33 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

But your genitals will drop off in six months. 

#34 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I read that Vitamin D deficiency is quite prevalent, ever since the internet was invented and we spend so much time indoors. So I'm now surfing from the balcony, soaking up some sun.

#35 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

LOL. A king conquered a city, and had a bunch of the brightest and handsomest young men rounded up to be trained over three years to become court officials. During this time, they were to eat the same food as the royal family.

Daniel was one of these young men. You can see that he is quite the high IQ and EQ guy. NIV, Daniel 1:1-16.

1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah, Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon came to Jerusalem and besieged it. 2 And the Lord delivered Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, along with some of the articles from the temple of God. These he carried off to the temple of his god in Babylonia and put in the treasure house of his god. 3 Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring in some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility-- 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king's palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians. 5 The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king's table. They were to be trained for three years, and after that they were to enter the king's service. 6 Among these were some from Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 7 The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego. 8 But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you." 11 Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, 12 "Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13 Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see." 14 So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. 15 At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. 16 So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead.

#36 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

So I'm a flexitarian

http://en.wikipedia....i-vegetarianism

#37 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

We've got this machine at work, which apart from its usual duty of measuring bone density (as in osteoporotics) can also measure body composition. Results come like: total weight: 70kg. Lean mass: 30kg, bone 30kg, fat 10kg.  Fitness centres can make a killing out of this machine. One catch: it uses low levels of radiation, but the results are quite reproducible and quantifiable. 

J, you were talking about visceral fat.  Its interesting to note that on CTs, children are VERY lean: there's almost no fat separating the organs. But as one ages, the fat between the organs gets more and more. Women are generally fattier. The only lean adults that come for CT are unfortunately terminal cancer patients. Ripped dudes are usually healthy enough to not need a scan.

BTW, the TED chick's talk was very interesting.

#38 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

I was told after talking to a friend that I seem preoccupied with fat people nowadays. He's right, I am.

I thought all along that getting fat with age is inevitable. Actually, I did not even think having a belly came from fat. I thought it was some strange form of water retention, or how the muscles holding the tummy taut gets weaker with age and the stuff protrudes out. I think many people believe this too. I believed this for years. I suffered from it too, though in a very mild form compared to most of my peers.

I did not know that visceral fat can accumulate independently of subcutaneous fat, and that in some people the former accumulates more rapidly.

Now that I know it's just fat between the organs, and that in my case it disappeared within 1.5 months of a vegan diet, I look at fat people very differently.

Try substituting central obesity with goitre. Goitre is the swelling of the thyroid, and results in a big lump on the neck, usually to one side. Imagine people developing goitre as they graduate and start being desk-bound for most of their waking hours. Imagine their thyroid enlarging further as they grow older.

Imagine a city full of people with enlarged thyroids. It would be a highly unnatural sight, because having an enlarged thyroid is not a natural state to be in. But central obesity is similarly unnatural. It is only because of its ubiquity that we no longer perceive it as a condition.

#39 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

You guys should check out Dr. Michael Greger. His full time job is to read all the research papers in the field of nutritional science, and condense his findings.

#40 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

He has his own channel in youtube.

http://www.youtube.c...tritionFactsOrg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users