Build Theme!

Photo

kotmj's shift towards a meat-reduced diet: Sort of like a diary.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#41 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

I'm in my home town right now. I went for a blood test this morning. My mother works at Pathlab, so that's where I went. The results will be available in 2 days, but the results for blood pressure and bone density are immediate.

I have wonderful blood pressure. The first reading was 110/66. Then we did the bone density test, and returned to do another reading for blood pressure, which came out at 108/68. These levels would indicate that my arteries are very unlikely to be clogged, so heart attacks and strokes are unlikely.

(But just to be certain, I am also being tested for C-reactive protein and methionine.)

The bone density test was done with an ultrasound machine. A bit of ultrasound gel was applied to my forearm, right above where one would wear a watch, and the handheld emitter was rubbed several times around part of the arm circumference. This was done until the machine has collected sufficient data points. The procedure was repeated three times.

The results are a disaster. My bone density is in osteopenia category, which is pretty close to osteoporosis. It may have to do with years of whey consumption. Excessive protein consumption is linked to low bone mineral density, because a by-product of protein digestion is an acid which dissolves bones. Maybe it's also due to the coffee habit -- caffein inhibits calcium absorption. Whatever the case, I need to do something about this. Also, I have to make sure I do not trip and fall, or play futsall (the dumbest game to achieve popular appeal).

#42 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

The urine test results are in. Everything is normal. pH is mildly acidic. Protein, casts, blood cells, etc. were not detected.

#43 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

Drink some milk, brah. 

#44 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Leafy greens have more calcium.

#45 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

I can't wait for the C-reactive protein value. It is a marker for systemic inflammation. First time I'm tested for it.

Not really interested in the other results like cholesterol and glucose, etc. because these are always normal with me.

#46 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

It may be a good idea, when I eat meat, to eat fish. The problem with fish is the concentration of toxins like methylmercury. The way around this is to eat low on the marine food chain; the higher up the chain you eat, the higher the concentration of mercury. So for instance, the very delicious tenggiri is a sort of king mackerel which is pretty high up the food chain. It's like shark, the ultimate marine predator. The US FDA has issued advisories against only four types of fishes, and king mackerel is one of the four.

http://www.fda.gov/f...d/ucm110591.htm

I am relieved to find out that the kembong, Rastrelliger brachysoma, feeds on planktons.

http://www.fao.org/f...species/2477/en

#47 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:06 AM

Hmm, good points. I suppose shellfish should be fine as well?

#48 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think shellfish is in a category of its own. I don't know anything about shellfish except that they are very good to eat.

The results of the blood test are out. I was only given a few findings over gmail chat. But I was told everything is green -- no values are out of normal ranges.

C-reactive protein is a very low 0.2 mg/L. This indicates, within the ability of this marker to point it out at all, that levels of inflammation in my body is very, very low. It's how I felt that morning of the blood test, too: light, easy, un-irritated.

The only concern seems to be the test for carcinoembryonic antigen. It is a marker for cancer, particularly colorectal cancer. If you have low values, it doesn't mean you have no cancer. But if values are high, you certainly have something.

My mother tells me that most people would have a reading below 1mcg/L. Anything above 5 mcg/L would warrant further investigation. Mine is at 3.3. Huh.

#49 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:44 AM

I tried using the saturated salt water technique to boil sweet potato. This is a technique where you boil the potatoes in water with incredibly high salt content. With potatoes, the result is something like baked jacket potatoes.

Using this technique on sweet potatoes yields the absolute best sweet potatoes I've ever eaten. Better than boiled or baked. The skin comes off easily. The potato is dry and fluffy, not waterlogged.

gzto.jpg

#50 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

Interesting. I used to steam sweet potatoes because boiling yielded horrible results. 

#51 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

Cholesterol is at 3.8 mmol/l. Same value as 3 years ago. Below 5.2 is considered optimal.

The low levels of inflammation (inflammation in the arteries is what causes plaque build-up), coupled with the resting blood pressure of athletes, and the low cholesterol levels indicate that my arteries are wide open. No signs of metabolic syndrome anywhere.

I'm unlikely to die from stroke or myocardial infarction. I guess I only have to worry about cancer.

#52 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Looking at the way you live your life I think you can count cancer out too

#53 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

I tried using the saturated salt water technique to boil sweet potato. This is a technique where you boil the potatoes in water with incredibly high salt content. With potatoes, the result is something like baked jacket potatoes.

Using this technique on sweet potatoes yields the absolute best sweet potatoes I've ever eaten. Better than boiled or baked. The skin comes off easily. The potato is dry and fluffy, not waterlogged.

gzto.jpg

Ahh, now I've got to try making this too!

#54 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Interesting talk by an ueber-oncologist.

His conclusions are truly ridiculous. Take statins and aspirin daily for the long term to keep inflammation down? How about consuming anti-inflammatory food instead? The Chinese and Indian have identified thousands of herbs and foods which are anti-inflammatory. The body of knowledge that has been built up there is considerable. I am boggled by the stupidity of his conclusion. I think it's because he is very sympathetic to the drug makers, some of whom may be funding his research.

Also, the guy talks about prevention all the time, so how about this: What causes inflammation, so we could avoid it in the first place?

Also, for a lifetime of daily aspirin intake, a 20% reduction in cancer risk is hardly earth moving. There must be several thousand studies out now that show a larger reduction in cancer risk via very moderate consumption of cruciferous vegetables.

Instead of these avenues of thinking, the thing he is preaching at every damned talk of his and his books is to take statins and aspirin daily. What an idiot. Which would a mother pick for her child: eat more vegetables or take statins and aspirins daily?

His book has only 3 stars on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B004T4KQYS

Maybe it's true that doctors have no clue about nutrition.

#55 joonian

joonian

Megatimer

• Alfa once more
  • 2,134 posts
  • Location-

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

I think, for a lot of doctors, it's like the saying: Give a man a hammer and everything starts to look like a nail...

#56 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

It is quite true about aspirin although not for cancer, it decreases the chances of heart attack afaik. It's blood thinning drug and so is statin. 

#57 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Well, I'm finally stalling with the squat. At only 1.1X bodyweight.

#58 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Cooking red rice for the first time. One does find such rice in vegetarian restaurants, but theirs seem different. Innocuous. This red rice here is really red, which was what prompted me to take a pic. I found it very easy to cook well. Brown rice I find impossible to cook.

DSC01460_zpsd26f64e2.jpg

#59 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,678 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

I had the first significant meat meal in months. It was a salmon steak. Immediately after the meal, some bloating and some unpleasant sensations in the digestive tract. Nothing major, and it's a familiar sensation from before I reduced my meat intake.

#60 Fiddler

Fiddler

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

The majority of people in this world, sadly, eat foods that are rubbish from a nutritional standpoint. It is a combination of not knowing better, a stubborn attitude (everyone eats burgers so it must be fine) and affordability. Good food is not always cheap.

I got interested in nutrition around 5 years ago and it affected me profoundly. The fact that food could actually make you sick and even kill you was something I'd never considered. Neither was the realisation that food, either ingested or abstained from, is the best medicine for anything that might ail you.

I went vegetarian, cutting out all meat and felt great. I also started subscribing to the belief of combining foods correctly. Most people think this is hogwash but I am convinced of its accuracy. The no. 1 rule of food combining is 'no complex proteins with complex carbs'. That's what 99% of the world does. Burgers, chicken rice, lasagna. I used to eat that way too and always felt sluggish after a meal but blamed it on rice.

But when I stopped combining meat with bread, rice, potatoes and pasta , I felt great.

And I lost a lot of weight. Almost 15 kg. but not in a Matthew mcconaughey sort of way. It just slipped off gradually.

Now, since last year, I've kicked it up a notch. No wheat, no rice, no dairy, no sugar. At all. I've also reintroduced meat once a week...but the meat has to be lean and clean.

And I feel even better.

You would think id be starving but it's just the opposite....I eat like a pig and have no shortage of choice.

The only thing is I find myself eating at home much more since you can't trust restaurants to do everything your way. So I find myself cooking a lot more and enjoy it as well.

Kotmj, congrats for taking the first step. It is truly shocking that the number one cancer in these parts is cancer of the digestive organs so I feel there's no harm in being selective about what you put into them.

I've also stopped buying shoes and this has benefited me greatly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users