• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

I remember somebody mentioning about their hi-fi system. I cant remember whether its in own thread or in with others. I thought i'll post a thread for audiophile not limited to hi-fi even personal audio or even ICE (in car entertainment). Although i have basic entry level home hi-fi marantz and mission speakers. And also previously was into ICE for a bit my car has Fujitsu Ten, DLS tweeters midrange and woofers with Helix amp.

Now i'm into headphones, I've got In ear Final Audio Adagio 3 and over ear beyerdynamics entry level shit (cant remember model no) with a hippo portable amp. Been having this set up for the past 2 years been very happy with the Final Audio great for travelling wonderful acoustics for the price.

I just upgraded FiiO E6 cuz the hippo doesn't want to charge and it just opened all other possibilities of upgrading, now i'm thinking should i upgrade my over ear or get Final Audio Heaven IV which does look heavenly. 

#2 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

I've had a pair of custom monitors from Unique Melody for a few years now. I think the model is called Mage. Four drivers.

They came shipped with Westone ES cables which broke about a year ago, then I got a cheap replacement off eBay which broke about 2 months ago. Some generic cables I ordered from China then have still not arrived, so I think I need to just cough up the $60 for Westone ES replacements.

These Samsung earphones I'm using in lieu are absolutely shit, and I have no idea how I managed to live with them for two months now.

4CZXoCT.jpg

I had a FiiO Rocky or something that broke after a month. I liked it, but I can't be bothered lugging an extra item with me just for that bit of sound quality improvement so I'm content with an iPhone -> IEM setup.

#3 shanecross

shanecross

Megatimer

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Back in uni, I used to assemble my own headphone amps, from glass jar audio, even did an iMod on my ipod 5th gen. I've had user experience with the AD700, HD595, UM3x and IE8. I like the AD700 the most because it is comfortable as hell. I miss braiding my own LODs tho.

#4 ivanswk

ivanswk

Megatimer

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

am using some old marantz and a wharfedale 8.4 back in my place in subang, but in sg i bring my Aego M only 

meanwhile my current gear is only a P5, been eyeing a westone lately hmm...

0B081EF4-5F16-47FB-8B3A-5CA099AADBA0-103

#5 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Not goin for the p7? How's the b&w for portability? I'd like an over ear for travelling but can't see myself carrying that much luggage space.

#6 ivanswk

ivanswk

Megatimer

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

i use the p5 mainly with my tab and need to be in aircond place, as prolong use can be quite warm and leather dun go well with sweat , think p7 will have the same problem

the portability sux , need to change before my next trip , i think klipsh is small and portable and might do the job, just tested it a while ago, next few day i drop by jaben and if i cannot tell the different between the westone and ue900, maybe i just go for the klipsch

#7 terrenceterrence

terrenceterrence

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:32 AM

Quad drivers without amp? Is the phone internal be enough to pump out a decent output? Wouldn't it sound a bit muted?

Currently using custom reshelled UE TF10 with a Fiio e11.

#8 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:01 AM

If you're asking about mine, it has an impedance low enough so an amp is not necessary. It's four balanced armatures per side, which I understand do not require much power to be driven. The JH16 has eight per side, and I don't think it needs an amp too.

I'm sure these are designed to be used without amps.

A custom reshelled UE TF10 seems to be a very popular choice among custom IEM audiophiles.

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

I went through two Sennheiser PX100. Loved the thing. Is it a low-grade thing?

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000089GN3

#10 terrenceterrence

terrenceterrence

Nanotimer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

Guess maybe the dual channel TF10s are affordable and of decent quality or maybe the sheer amount if online push.

Got mine quite cheaply from Amazon. The only peeve I have about it is the puny UE dual pin connectors.

#11 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:40 AM

Bigtimers, you guys are.  I got me a Fiio X3 digital audio player paired with relatively cheap, but fairly satisfying a-jays three earphones.  When I was shopping for the ear/headphones, I tested out several pairs of Grados that sounded great (and some were within my price range), but couldn't see my wife okaying open cans in the bedroom.

aJ3-05.jpg

X3-6.jpg

#12 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

I find it quite pointless to spend too much when it comes to audio.

The returns become very diminishing very quickly. With audio, I find it tough to really point out any discernible difference between something that; for example, costs 2k to something that costs 8k. Sure, there is that really small bit of increase in sound quality etc., but I would have to be listening so intently to the music to even notice.

I'm not someone who would just sit in a room and close my eyes and listen to music and focus on it, so this is why I won't spend on audio. I am almost always doing something else with music playing.

When I am commuting, I'm not actually paying enough attention to the sound to justify paying for earphones that cost say RM5000 over RM1000 ones. They both sound the same to me. For some, even the RM1000 earphones aren't worth it over a pair of RM400 ones.

I had a pair of Westone UM3X IEMs for a while. I liked them, but the problem is that my ear canals are tiny so I spend a lot of time trying to stuff any IEMs in and even then I don't get that great of a seal. This is the main reason why I decided to get a pair of custom IEMs done.

I think what's far more important than audio/sound quality is sound signature. Now this I can discern quite well. To me, there's a distinct difference between how Audio-Technica and Sennheiser sound like. If I were to buy another pair of earphones or headphones, I would base my decision on sound signature, not quality. At a certain price point, quality becomes a given and is quite consistent across every brand.

Plus, sound is extremely subjective. The Sennheiser IE8 has as many detractors as it does fans. I personally dislike it because it's so bass heavy, but there are those who swear by it and will use nothing else.

I don't have experience with hi-fi however, so maybe all this isn't applicable with hi-fi. I'd like to believe there's not much difference though, if any.

#13 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Bigtimers, you guys are.  I got me a Fiio X3 digital audio player paired with relatively cheap, but fairly satisfying a-jays three earphones.  When I was shopping for the ear/headphones, I tested out several pairs of Grados that sounded great (and some were within my price range), but couldn't see my wife okaying open cans in the bedroom.

aJ3-05.jpg

X3-6.jpg

I use the a jays 3 for gym and running. Pretty good, the headphones performs better without an amp. 

#14 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Is this thread just for the hardware or is music discussed to?

I don't really listen to music. When I do, it's mostly Beethoven. Can't stand the other composers.

Guenther Wand is the best conductor for the Beethoven symphonies. Except for the 5th and 7th, because Carlos Kleiber Jr. betters him. It's criminal the latter did not record a 9th before he died.

Best violinist for the concertos for me so far is Perlman.

#15 Zinzan

Zinzan

Megatimer

• Members
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

More for hardware J. I think you got a thread for music already. 

Shane, abt DIYing one of my friend managed to DIY a floor standing speakers and amps. He bought the parts but sent it to a dude in Penang to assemble it. Pretty cool. You get good audio equipment for a fraction of the price. But in all honesty for my self i wouldn't buy it. I suppose as Zarium there's a sound signature that the manufacturers have. I've listened to systems that are 10k to a 100k system. And i'm still blown away with the 100k system.

Ivan, hows the AE Aego, last time i was gunning for their all in one system. They do make the sexiest speakers besides the nautilus.   

#16 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I personally can't discern much difference, hence why I would never indulge in such a hobby. I'm sure there are many who can.

Maybe I'm not blessed with such acute hearing. Then again, it is also really the kind of music I listen to that makes a hi-fi system or anything that is more cumbersome than an iPhone -> output pointless.

Also (an irrelevant note), it's always, ALWAYS about the music. Never the hardware. I would take the worst earphones with my favourite music over the best system with music I don't listen to/don't like any day.

#17 nickwjd

nickwjd

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I spent some time reading into headphones, amps, DACs and etc when I was buying new headphones some time back. In the end, realized it was too much and decided to just get whatever I liked and was comfortable from a good brand. As per what Zarium said, I doubt I can tell the difference if I'm not trying really hard to find it.

I'm using a Beyerdynamic DT770-Pro connected to a PC, sound card is an ALC1150 based implementation which has an amp for headphones up to 600ohm.

7JlZv1C.jpg

#18 Zarium

Zarium

Megatimer

• Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Nice Beyerdynamics. I've heard many good things about the DT-770. I never bothered because of its impedance, though.

#19 ivanswk

ivanswk

Megatimer

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

still going strong after 6 years plus, but think i will bring my creative T3 over from kl soon, the t3 have a headphone jack at volume control, easier to plug the headphone so nitetime dun disturb the boy from sleeping 

Ivan, hows the AE Aego, last time i was gunning for their all in one system. They do make the sexiest speakers besides the nautilus.   

#20 nickwjd

nickwjd

Bigtimer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Nice Beyerdynamics. I've heard many good things about the DT-770. I never bothered because of its impedance, though.

There are quite a variety of models with different impedance ratings though if I remember. 32, 80, 250 and 600.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users