• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

Mostly an enclave to house discussions relating to digital cameras and lens; and to share photographs, preferably one's own. Yes, including instagrams.

Jeremy should be happy about this... :D

#2 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

DeNiro Watching

Columbus Street, San Francisco

XpUShwq.jpg

#3 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:42 AM

The Canon EOS M is faintly reminiscent of the Carl Zeiss Jena Werramatic. The smallness of it, the curved top plate, the clean Bauhausian design, the tiny exquisite lenses and this -- its density. The Werramatic is a hefty camera. It's small, but feels like a solid chunk of brass. The EOS M is like that too -- its curvy, organic form makes us think its light when in fact it is densely heavy. They even share the same carrying studs.

werra-matic.jpg

^Prettiest little camera ever from the 1950s, but it is surprisingly heavy for its diminutive size.

The Canon EOS M (2012)

canon-eos-m-review-03-640x426.jpg

Was at KLCC tonight for some shopping and took some pics with the M + 22/f2

IMG_2258_zps4cca90ef.jpg

One of the nice things about the towers is how accessible they are to the general public. Some towers sit upon a podium-like building so you can't actually touch the tower. But the Twin Towers go straight to the ground, and the pillars can be touched by anyone. The most experiential design ever, I think. See how the tower is uninterrupted all the way to the base which can be touched by anyone.

IMG_2249_zpsa39cf4cd.jpg

The base is very much part of the public's experience of the building.

IMG_2279_zps7f063606.jpg

Modern day cathedral. To capitalism and consumerism.

#4 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Every single review of the EOS M mentions its "slow autofocus". A new firmware update sped AF up a lot, but it is still lagging compared to the Olympus PENs (fastest in the world) or Canon's own DSLRs. For this reason mainly, the EOS M failed in the market.

I think people lack perspective with these things.

For most of history, cameras did not have AF. The most iconic pictures were taken with them. The Leica M was known as a camera for "decisive moments", yet till today, the Leica M has no AF. The Hasselblad Vs were professional cameras, with Carl Zeiss lenses, and they never had any autofocus.

People got on fine without AF. You focussed on a ground glass, or a ground glass with split prism. With rangefinders, you lined up the image on a small rectangular patch. Compared to even the least competitive AF today, these cameras were ridiculously slow to focus, and very taxing on the eye.

So the AF on the EOS M is maybe 50% slower than the Olympus PENs. 30% slower than maybe the Canon 1DX. I don't know for sure. But that is still blazingly fast as to be instantaneous. It is so fast, I don't need it any faster.

Why would anyone complain about how the EOS M takes 20 ms longer to focus than his Canon 5DIII? What does he do with the AF speed? He will tell you he takes pics of "critters" in the garden. That he likes to take pics of birds flying over his house.

This non-issue with the AF tells me one thing: cameras are a buyer's market. Consumers can ignore a camera even if it has only one aspect that is not entirely competitive with the best-in-class, because there are so many cameras out there to buy. It's brutal on the camera makers. No wonder so many of them are loss-making.

The EOS M is a miracle of a camera. There are no qualifications to that statement. Unless you like to take pics of birds in flight, you will never think of the AF.

Its merits are so numerous, I can't be bothered to go into them.

#5 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

DSC02368_zpsa20abb36.jpg

#6 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

It appears that when Canon M first came to the market, the autofocusing ability came into scrutiny because people were comparing it to existing Fuji, Sony, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung mirrorless systems. Panasonic and Olympus autofocusing systems are really blazing fast and Sony Nex has pre-focusing to lock on to subjects. Not only was the Canon M autofocus significantly slower, it was also inaccurate. Apparently sometimes the autofocus would lock on and then jump out of focus even when held steady. The popular Canon compacts like the S110 were outperforming the Canon M on autofocusing too. A new firmware upgrade to the Canon M did help the autofocus speed but I am not sure whether that improved the accuracy and locking on. Maybe you can touch on that. 

#7 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

As I was saying, the AF of the M is just not an issue. It is blazing fast. It is faster and more accurate than my Sony A55.

The M has a special feature that makes its AF seem slow when in fact it is not. Called "touch shutter", touch any part of the screen and the M

a) relocates the focus point

b ) focusses

c) releases the shutter

all in a single touch.

Now, if any of these idiots were to use an Olympus or Sony or whatnot, they would have to use the control wheel to move the focus point, then half press the shutter button, pause to check for focus confirmation, then press the shutter button all the way.

Who is faster?

The M does not have a slow autofocus. In a bit more time than most cameras take to focus alone (step b ), the M does all three steps.

I would like to challenge all and sundry to a duel of cameras. We will see who takes a picture with an off-center subject faster. The M will win every single time.

#8 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

It is also small, not much bigger than my Olympus XZ-1.

DSC02346_zps2383fbe2.jpg

#9 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

I am planning a second video. To be exact, I've been planning a second one ever since the first was done. It has been several months since the first video, and I can't bear to watch it anymore. So crude, so amateurish. So many things I would do differently.

This second video will be shot with totally different equipment. The previous equipment was really poor. The lens used for the majority of shots was made in the 1960s. The camera's video output is widely disparaged amongst videographers as being the worst. This time around I shall use a camera famous for its video capabilities and use a lens from 2012.

Even the files will be different. RAW files. Yes.

I have built up quite a bit more equipment inventory since the first video. This is still going on. For instance, the lighting in the workshop is flat and meh, so this time around, I shall use special lighting.

The camera, when not locked down (on a tripod) will be on a special rig that stabilizes it. Really.

So yeah: It will be shot in RAW for incomparable colour depth and that special filigrane detail, handheld shots will be stabilized, the camera and lens are acclaimed for video and there will be superior lighting.

I have basically totally murdered this business of still pictures of tailoring. I don't think anyone takes pictures of jackets and of the tailoring process like I do. Gonna go murder the video portion now.

#10 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:52 PM

As I was saying, the AF of the M is just not an issue. It is blazing fast. It is faster and more accurate than my Sony A55.

The M has a special feature that makes its AF seem slow when in fact it is not. Called "touch shutter", touch any part of the screen and the M

a) relocates the focus point

b ) focusses

c) releases the shutter

all in a single touch.

Now, if any of these idiots were to use an Olympus or Sony or whatnot, they would have to use the control wheel to move the focus point, then half press the shutter button, pause to check for focus confirmation, then press the shutter button all the way.

Who is faster?

The M does not have a slow autofocus. In a bit more time than most cameras take to focus alone (step b ), the M does all three steps.

I would like to challenge all and sundry to a duel of cameras. We will see who takes a picture with an off-center subject faster. The M will win every single time.

meh, no need la. as long as you get the picture you want, that's all that should matter.

all this unwarranted emphasis on the camera's capabilities is detracting from the actual photography itself. i think too many people are just too obsessed about pixel peeping these days with digital photography, when they should just go out and shoot. ultimately, it's all about the person behind the camera.

me, as long as the camera doesn't get in my way of getting the pictures i want, i'll be more than happy with it.

#11 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

That's the thing that bugs me too. They are comparing there how many frames per second, 20 ms faster AF, this, that. I have shot with scale focussing cameras with a handheld Voigtlaender lightmeter with selenium cells from the 1950's and still got pictures.

These features are just not important.

BTW, now that I have a camera with short flange distance, I can use my old Konica Hexanon lenses on the M. But they all have fungus (I didn't keep them in dry box). I'll be having this beauty cleaned...

DSC02381_zps8a2f445c.jpg

#12 holymoly

holymoly

Megatimer

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

Will be fun seeing the lens pair up with the Canon M. 

#13 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

So. As I was saying. Ok.

So I was looking at The Armoury tumblr and all of a sudden fucking moment I saw this.

tumblr_mz6zwccRRD1qad1efo1_1280.jpg

Jesus christ, I said. I have been taking pics for essentially forever, but never managed to get something like this. A bunch of Armoury fan cheongs did it. How?

Then I looked at the next pic on their tumblr...

tumblr_mz6zy2YQwT1qad1efo1_1280.jpg

And I said to myself, jesus christ, this is not real.

I almost never download pics to look at the EXIF data. In fact, I don't remember the last time I did it.

But I just did. I wanted to know what they did to get pics like that.

Answer?

Leica M Monochrom.

#14 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

_DSC4357.jpg

pasar siti khadijah, kota bharu

nikon d700

nikkor 50mm f1.4 af-d

29th october 2011

#15 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

This is going to sound bizarre, but I saw the above pic on another website today. But I forgot which website.

#16 kenterong

kenterong

Megatimer

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

the exact same picture? that would be quite bizarre, considering that i've not put this picture up anywhere online before this. but then again, i think this isn't an unusual perspective for photographers who visit pasar siti khadijah.

#17 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:33 AM

I found this article really good

http://www.stevehuff...t-is-all-about/

#18 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

The migration to Canon is complete. Selling the stupid Sony soon.

m_kit_zps7e1766e4.jpg

#19 carbman

carbman

Megatimer

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • LocationPJ

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

It always bugs me that in the world of non/semi-professional photography, people emphasize way to much on the equipment as a means of getting better pics. And I don't mean comparing 1950s equipment to current stuff. I'm referring to people who upgrade their Nikon/Canon DSLRs every time a new model comes out, stating that the improved-this, faster-that, and higher-whatnot will give them better photos. My reply is always, 'If your pics suck now, they will still suck on your new equipment'.

On to the Eos M. My brother got one a few weeks back. What surprised me most was the low-light sensitivity. Night-time and indoor non-flash photography really is an option with this camera. I have a Nikon D40, and the slow, 3-point AF has never bugged me. 

#20 kotmj

kotmj

Megatimer

• Members
  • 7,539 posts
  • LocationBukit Rimau

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

Three-point AF is all I would need. Most of the new cameras are overspec'd for my needs -- the EOS M has 18 MP -- 10 MP too many, so I normally shoot at reduced resolution. The one aspect I need more of is high ISO quality, to have a camera that can shoot in the dark. The other feature that is still a bottleneck is image stablization.

I'm quite in love with the EOS M. It's such a polished tool.

I got the EF-S 60/2.8 a few days ago. My gawd, it's such a stellar lens. It makes all my other lenses look mushy and incompetent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users