Sign in to follow this  
holymoly

Everything Digital Photography

Got some Zeiss lens cleaners

1-IMG_5850_zpsvwenwc8d.jpg

The wipes work very well and are very convenient. Comes in a box of 50 wipes. The spray comes with its own microfiber cloth, not pictured. Altogether I paid about RM50, shipped from a lowyat seller.

For whatever reason, many people seem to think they can take great pictures with their iPhone or XiaoMi or whatever small camera they have. The truth is, the great pictures you see were taken with very elaborate equipment. This is especially true in the menswear arena.

Most of the B&Tailor pictures were taken with the Leica M9 and a Summilux 35/1.4, often wide open.

tumblr_nr07chRmYf1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

Simon uses professional photographers. This, for instance, was taken with Leica's medium format system, the Leica S. Costs as much as a car.

Avitabile-Friday-polo-shirt-navy.jpg

And this is with a Leica Typ 240 with the Summilux 50/1.4 wide open.

Hardy-Amies-bespoke-tweed-jacket-Will.jp

These pictures are not just Simon going out to his garden and his wife snapping a pic. We don't even see the other stuff around him -- flashes, reflectors, etc.

Did you also have the Canon pancake 40mm f2.8 STM? The Voigtlander Ultron frustrated me a little when I tried it, but the sharpness and build quality are really good. According to online reviews through, the 40mm f2.8 STM lens is comparably sharp too. And with autofocus capability at less than half the price. Your thoughts? 

Maybe 50% of the pictures I post here and on my tumblr were taken with the Canon 40/2.8 STM. It's my most used lens. It's optical perfection. Flawless on a crop sensor, sharp as sharp can be, flare resistant, accurate AF, no noticeable chromatic problems, etc. It's even made in Shah Alam.

I bought the Ultron because I wanted an f2 aperture. I've been using it this morning.Yup, focussing is tough. Sharpness is ok wide open; nothing revelatory. Importantly global contrast is high wide open. Not as well color corrected as the Canon. I like it.

So I've shot a bit with the Voigtlaender Ultron. This is a full-frame lens used on a crop sensor body. The Canon 70D has very high pixel density -- 20.2 MP on APS-C, this translates to 32 MP on full frame -- nearly the same density of pixels as the Nikon D800 which many people say show up all of a lens' faults. It's an unforgiving sensor.

I noticed a bloom and lack of resolution at pixel level at close ranges wide open. I thought it was the second worst performance I had seen (the EF 50/1.8 II would be the utter worst). The Ultron has a double aspherical surface element, and altogether six elements -- for a moderate speed normal, this is a pretty lux specification. The Zeiss Planars like the Loxia or ZM 50mm/f2 only have six spherical elements.

However, when viewed at more reasonable resolutions, this bloom at high frequencies is not visible, and what you see is a very high contrast image. Moreover, I found that a light touch of unsharp mask totally removes the bloom and yields a bitingly sharp image.

Having said all that, the 40-year old Pentax 50/1.4 outresolves the Ultron. In fact, I think it outresolves even the sensor at f2.0. Make no mistake: while the Pentax has higher resolution, it has much lower contrast. Compared to the Nikkor AI 50/1.8, the Ultron is far superior at f2.

Then just now, I thought that maybe the Ultron was optimized for performance at infinity. I put it on a tripod and shot the hills outside my balcony. Holy cow, this is the sharpest lens at infinity I own. Very high resolution across the APS-C frame even wide open with no apparent field curvature.

So now I know: The Ultron was meant to be a landscape lens.

New lens in the house! The EF-S 55-250 STM. For RM650 brand new, this is one heck of a performer! This is at 175mm:

1-IMG_8624_zpsqqzidyew.jpg

You also see how an unneutered/intact male dog looks like! Namely, lean and sinewy! The castrated dogs, like castrated chickens, are bloated and fat. Most male pet dogs are neutered nowadays.

• Like 1

I was sort of expecting 250mm to be semi-soft/barely usable, but it is quite serviceable even there. Not amazing or anything, but usable if you do not crop too much. It is f5.6 at 250mm, so you do not get the National Geographic bokeh effect from the likes of the 70-200/2.8 (nor the sharpness or the contrast).

1-IMG_8555_zps8uqxnpt9.jpg

Here's a 1:1 crop of the ball. No sharpening whatsoever.

IMG_8774_zps88hsbwl7.jpg

The lens is much better at 175mm and 160mm (as above) than it is at 250mm.

The more I muck around in post-processing, the more unreal the colours become. In fact, they become like Fuji colours. It is necessary to get it right in the camera. Post processing makes things ever less natural.

1-IMG_8813_zpsrenlkred.jpg

1-IMG_8946_zps1vol33t4.jpg

Brought the dog to the beach today to drown/kill any ticks or fleas he may have. The best thing about a place like Kuantan is the low population density. It's a Saturday afternoon, yet the beach is deserted.

1-IMG_8872_zps4vorc62w.jpg

Dog is very athletic.

1-IMG_8922_zps9bj5mtse.jpg

Goldens and Labs and Rottweilers smile a great deal.

1-IMG_8943_zpsoumnyd6v.jpg

Lens is amazing.

1-IMG_9034_zpslomr8zfl.jpg

• Like 1

What a surprise this morning! Our SPCA's dog listings on Petfinder now feature amazing pictures. I have posted on dpreview asking what sort of lens was likely used for these. If I had to guess, it's a 135/2. Look for yourself.

73209-288622-l.jpg

73207-288620-l.jpg

73208-288621-l.jpg

• Like 1

Neues Objektiv im Hause! The Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 a.k.a. The Bazooka.

1-DSCF6971_zpsicir1pls.jpg

Notice the Leica strap. The heavier the camera+lens, the grippier you need the strap to be. Otherwise, the camera will slip off your shoulder and land on the floor. Eventually.

1-DSCF6972_zps7selse2s.jpg

Here's a shot with the lens. Not so good eh?

1-IMG_0128_zpsy3ahgomt.jpg

Here's the same picture above after cropping and post processing. No sharpening.

1-IMG_0128_zpse52vzdmz.jpg

I still haven't a name for the cat. I call it "cat". Ideas welcome.

Mine is as sharp as it gets. AF also seems very accurate and consistent. Do you shoot Canon or Nikon?

1-IMG_0197_zpse7c8qcha.jpg

• Like 1

The 2nd photo looks better. Maybe because it is in much better lighting. Did you stop down a little or wide open? I shoot with a Nikon, well mostly. On crop sensors, Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is a go-to lens. I have a real soft spot for the Sigma 30mm f1.4 on crop. On full frame, recommended to consider Sigma 35mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.4. 

Jajaja, I do not buy and lug around a USD800 800g lens to shoot at f2.8 I have USD80 150g pancakes for that sort of apertures.

I almost bought the Sigma Art 30/1.4. What stopped me was the FF compatibility of the Art 35/1.4. Actually you can shoot the 30/1.4 even on FF, there's just a bit more vignetting.