Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Gloriously off-topic

My mother loves chickens; the chickens I have eaten have mostly been shopped for and prepared by her. We never eat regular industrially produced chickens at home, only the more premium ones. My mother has Type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and has recently been prescribed blood pressure lowering drugs, to be taken indefinitely. Just so people know how you'll end up if you love chickens or consume them with any regularity.

I know of four kinds of chickens available in Malaysia. There is the regular price-controlled chickens used by eateries, Chillies, KFC, etc. There is the "ayam kampung" which is a small bird about half the size of a full sized regular chicken; these are produced primarily by rural Malay growers. There is the "choi yien" chicken (literally "farm chicken") which is a gourmet chicken produced by Chinese growers. The ayam kampung and choi yien chickens are roughly 2X more expensive than regular chickens. (I think. It has been years since I bought a chicken.) Then there are exotic chicken breeds which are several multiples more expensive than the others grown for high end Chinese restaurants. They are like boutique chickens.

The first thing that struck me about Wenchang chickens was the pale, almost white skin. (I was told they also have yellow-skinned varieties.) It is very, very similar to the Malaysian "choi yien" chicken, except the flesh is stringier and I imagine less flavourful. We had Wenchang chicken nearly every meal, and I kept thinking our Malaysian choi yien chicken is better.

A friend of my father (a Hainanese) used to have a large scale chicken growing business; something happened (I can't remember what) and he lost his business. He had to start from scratch again, and this time around, he started growing boutique chickens. They are enormous, and are fed a special diet which includes fruits (watermelons). We bought many over the years. I still prefer regular choi yien chicken. But then again, the choi yien chicken we have at home are not just any choi yien chicken since my mother is very particular from whom she buys.

kotmj are you aware of this former menteri besar of selangor? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khir_Toyo 

in an earlier post, weren't you disputing the fact that malaysian government officials were comically corrupt? just fyi anyway... cos i know you dont read the news.

I read up on him. Mildly interesting.

I think people are much enchanted by the topic of corruption. To me, it is about as interesting as global warming. Is it an "important" topic? Well, sort of, yes. Has it so much significance in my life that I go read up everyday about new developments in that area? Nope.

I am in a hotel room nearly every weekend; the hotel management likes to hang a complimentary copy of the day's newspaper from the door every Sunday morning. In the past, I was ignorant enough to actually read it; I was dismayed to find that Malaysian journalists are possibly the stupidest things to crawl on Malaysian soil. I stopped real quick. I function very well without reading or watching the news; I have done so for nearly 10 years. That tells me most of it is irrelevant to the functioning of my life. The news, and corruption, is a kind of spectator sport like football. It enchants the whole nation.

There are things which are far closer to me which interest me a lot more. Mundane topics like what you put into your mouth, and how that affects your end-of-life quality. Supramundane topics like why I am alive, how to explain ghosts, why there are mediums who can communicate with the dead, and what all these mean to me and my relationship to each moment of life. I find these topics far more interesting than football, developments in the sciences, who is corrupt and to what degree. The latter is as interesting to me as which TV personality is having extramaritial sex with whom.

• Like 1

While out with the dog on the golf course, found a kitten by the roadside. Kitten approached us and followed us. Ignored it. An hour later, on the way back, it was still there. No obvious owner or mother or littermates around. It kept coming up to me, and allowed itself to be picked up. Couldn't just leave it there. Neighbour thinks it is one month old. It is weaned, and eats anything I put in front of it. Eats an enormous amount.

1-IMG_7972_edited_zps1xanoyrt.jpg

1-IMG_7978_edited_zpsyxmndy2c.jpg

• Like 1

For what must be 2 years now, I check in every so often on dogs for sale and adoption on petfinder and mudah. These are not cheap dogs -- German Shepherds go from RM2k to RM6k per dog. You'd think that given the enthusiast nature of the product and the buyers that the sales ad would show some level of sophistication on par with the sums asked for and the care given to breeding the dogs. GSDs are an old and established product -- like, say, cotton. Cottons are graded and evaluated by pretty set ways, ways which are known industry-wide. GSDs too. I am baffled how not even one in ten of the sales ad show the dog standing. The most basic evaluation of a dog like a GSD takes place with the dog standing. A picture is taken from the side to give a full side profile. Instead, you see these idiots wanting to move RM2.8k dogs with just one picture of the dog lying down while yawning. The amount of information given is too little to even motivate a phone call to the seller. More seriously, it shows the seller, who is also often the breeder, doesn't know about the quality criteria for the dog he breeds. There isn't even the most rudimentary understanding of what makes for a quality dog, much less connoisseurship.

• Like 1

I may just be posting a series of videos about an aspect of life you may be ignorant about. Namely, that, when you die, you don't actually die. Which some view as the biggest tragedy ever. You can actually construct a pretty good map of what happens when you die by collating information from near-death experiences, psychics who regularly communicate with the deceased, and from people who say they can see it all clearly (often founders of religions).

The iPad is a unique product in that each time I use it, I rediscover what stupidity means. I've been trying to attach a pdf file via gmail on my iPad and after an hour, it occurred to me to google the method. It turns out there is no method.

"The iPad's Mail application does not have a file attachment feature, as the iOS operating system prevents one app from browsing and accessing files stored within a different app. "

You can export the file to Mail, but then it is not part of an existing conversation thread, apart from the fact that I use gmail, never Mail. I've said this many, many times, but iOS is just retarded. I've never used a bigger pile of shit in my life. With Windows, I can do everything. My PC died, which is why I'm back to using the retarded iPad.

I can understand where you coming from, I'm much ingrained with the windows ecosystem but on a personal front I've switched to IOS. I'm enjoying it, it has its quirks but once you know how to use it you'll never go back.

To send PDF, start with opening the PDF in iBooks or other program, and then share from there.

** iOS is a system designed to do away file systems and folders**. Using the iPad with a Windows mindset does not work.

I don't have a Windows mindset; I don't care for electronic gadgets. I have things to do which require a computer so I use them. When I contemplate doing anything, even typing, the thought of having to use iOS makes my heart sink (as they say). It's a lousy tool. Windows 10 is amazing.

I notice about my cat that it is constantly looking for prey. As I pick it up, the cat is not attuned to the process of being picked up by a human. Even as it is being picked up, its eyes are either surveying for potential prey or they are affixed on a potential prey. I thought to myself, how much better to be less influenced by instinctual programming and to have a relaxed gaze, experiencing every moment as it presents itself instead of always looking for something (e.g. potential mating partners, money, etc.) To look for nothing more than what your senses are delivering to you. It's a huge relief if a person can do that.

But so are we, as humans.

We look for the next good looking mate, next better bunch of cloths and the next nicer pair of shoes.

We are just plain animals acting out.

There is actually is way to distance ourselves from our deepest evolutionary programming. But it is arduous.

2016-02-23%2021.56.34-1.jpg?raw=1

Had to run some errands on foot in the city last night and brought along the Labrador to give him some exercise. In doing so, I realize I have not seen anyone walking a dog in the city in years. Contrast this to a place like Makati where lots of people have their maids walk the dog.

I'm a little late to discover the Al-Jazeera report on the Mongolian girl case. I read of this report on Mahathir's blog which I discovered recently. Here it is in case you haven't watched it.

It's basically the story of a dumb woman who got what she deserved. Her parents should have exercised better supervision over her. Her fate opened up a story of corruption at the highest levels.

Here are two separate reactions to the report: one from the current IGP followed by another by a former IGP.

http://youtu.be/NPz6DeiTPxo

Second video

It takes no big discernment to see who is the better person. One has a vested interest in suppressing the issue; the other has a totally open face and relaxed voice. The latter actually believes that the police machinery is still working despite unfortunate nominations at the top -- he thinks the police force bigger than a couple of guys at the top.

I've been reading Mahathir's blog. I've been thinking about N's exit strategy. I hope he has one that is better than simply crashing and burning in the GE. What brought N to this sorry state of affairs is a sense of entitlement and having bad friends. These friends lack fundamental honesty to themselves and others. Contrary to what people may think, N is not a mastermind who has good control over even his own departments. A lot of the information he works on are not accurate -- lies. This makes it impossible for him to manage well. We were not meant to know this much about the workings of the companies and departments under his watch.

I think he will resign and appoint a loyal friend to take over, one with better prospects in the GE and who can continue suppressing anything that will lead to legal actions against N.

Profound, paradigm changing talk by Goetz Werner, founder of the dm drogeriemarkt chain of drugstores in Germany. I posted an interview with him before when he was 69, but now it's a talk at 72 years of age. It's in German, but even if you don't speak the language, you can observe how a thoughtful man sounds like when talking about his ideas. It's the opposite of how most politicians sound like, and very different from most hired CEOs.

Jho and I are the same age. Here's Jho the lover in a failed engagement proposal which supposedly cost RM4.9million.

Low taek jho wedding proposal to elva hsio (4.9 MILLION)

(better watch this video now before taek jho take this down ,share it out !!)4.9 million wedding proposal ended up with elva rejecting himTaiwanese newspaper Apple Daily broke the news after coming across a video recording reportedly documenting Low's proposal.His target - famous Taiwanese mandopop singer Elva Hsiao.The daily cites a video uploaded a year ago to video-sharing site, vimeo.com, by British-based professional photographer Peter Rear. ‘Surprise engagement proposal rumoured to cost of £1m (RM4.9 million).'The rumoured cost is of little surprise as the event took place on a private beach at pricey hotel resort Atlantis, The Palm - the most famous hotel on the island of Palm Jumeirah, off Dubai.Rear's 5-minute 27-second video depicts the couple arriving in a black Rolls-Royce and strolling to the beach, where candles are laid out in a gigantic Valentine heart.The couple, holding each other, then proceed to dine on an luxurious set - claimed to be the work of Dubai's architectural and interior design firm Ali Bakhtiar Designs - as a laser show outlines the couple's silhouette.Singer is moved to tears, but...The couple enjoy their meal while being serenaded by a harpist and a violinist. It is no ordinary violin either, for it is studded with what appears to be precious stones.Breaking the romantic tone, several parachutists descend from the sky and land on the beach to present Hsiao with jewellery made by Swiss luxury brand Chopard.By then, Hsiao is moved to tears.However, the outrageous extravagance was reportedly not enough to move Hsiao's heart.Apple Daily says it understands that Hsiao (right), 33, rejected the proposal and only saw Low, 31, as a "little brother". The newspaper also reported that a spokesperson had denied claims that Low had proposed to Hsiao at the event, stressing that it was just a "romantic dinner". Penang-born Low, who is reportedly part of Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's inner circle, is best known for his attempts to woo American socialite Paris Hilton and hard partying habits with his A-list friends in the United States.Low, whose real name is Low Taek Jho, is the son of a Penang tycoon who reportedly has close links with Middle Eastern investors. Locally, he is reportedly involved with the Terengganu Investment Authority (TIA) - now known as the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) - and UBG Bhd, which is owned by the family of Sarawak Chief Minister Abdul Taib Mahmud.The chubby-looking Low got into themedia spotlight two years ago after reports about his extravagant partying with controversial Hollywood actress Paris Hilton hit the front pages of newspapers, local and around the world.Malaysia had done it again , The world most expensive FAIL proposal (Malaysia boleh)if you guys are new here, like us at PoliticalgagsPosted by Politicalgags on Thursday, 20 December 2012