Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Gloriously off-topic

1MDB is a surreal company. Financed entirely via gov. guarantee. Moves billions at a time. It paid Goldman unbelievable commissions to raise debt capital but...but...here's the zinger -- it has not paid a cent of GST throughout the years it has been operating. In fact, it's not even GST registered. 1MDB manages to do the impossible.

http://www.theedgemarkets.com/en/node/266882

I've been using a Samsung tablet running Android for two weeks now. It is awesome. Even better than Windows 10. Better in every single way by a factor of 10 compared to the latest version of iOS. It boggles my mind that Apple's inferiority is not more widely acknowledged. The iPad remains the bestselling tablet; I just cannot figure out why. It is so inadequate.

The Android lets me do everything very directly, very intuitively, barely ever annoying me. It's very fluid in use. Windows 10 also allows me to do everything I want but it is less polished and slower than Android. I have the Google launcher installed, and all the awesome Google apps. The Samsung apps are inadequate.

Really happy I am on Android now. I also want to mention the marvellous hardware. This Samsung has an impossibly beautiful screen, very good buttons, and it comes with a bluetooth keyboard that is a JOY to type on, even better than Microsoft Surface's premium TypeCover. I have always found the iPad to be awkward to hold -- the earlier iPads are heavy and very slippery in hand and the edges have small radii.

Here's a great video I found of someone who is similarly frustrated with the arbitrary constraints imposed on you by iOS.

Wow, wow! The Swiss AG has put the noose around N's neck. Now comes his final struggle for air before he falls. It will get quite ugly in the short term while he kicks and flails. Then he's finished. I hope the investigation under a new government will include all those who received disbursements from N --I only wish beheadings were still a punishment for they surely deserve it.

https://www.news.admin.ch/message/index.html?lang=en&msg-id=61315

Where I live is very green but not a singe tree is old. There is little jungle left in the country that is virgin -- they have all once been logged. The jungle nowadays is a pale regrowth of what was once grand virgin jungles. Even up on Fraser's Hill, all the trees are very young.

Logging turns out to be a government policy.

12931255_1140838545960609_76658175025231

12592586_1140838555960608_31341923500236

12524412_1140838592627271_81372229255305

12472287_1140838615960602_82009694265024

I found out just now I'm supposed to be going to Perth on holiday in about a week. So, I've been looking at what arrangements I need to make with regards to fittings & appointments with customers in KL before I leave and etc. The more I looked, the more depresssing it became as it dawned on me I am somehow involved with a village of people with regards to clothes.

Murder in Perth

IMG_20160520_173421.jpg?raw=1

Source of some of Australian obesity

IMG_20160520_173137.jpg?raw=1

The low humidity gives a special clarity to the light

IMG_20160520_173209.jpg?raw=1

The great outdoors

IMG_20160520_173000.jpg?raw=1

Every Australian dreams of having a boat

IMG_20160520_172821.jpg?raw=1

Not a fan of Australian wine myself

IMG_20160520_173042.jpg?raw=1

Lying in bed, an insight came. Every organisation should have a worthy mission, and that mission should not be to make money, analogous to how nobody should aim to live to eat. You eat to live; then, you achieve something worthwhile with that life. Obviously, an organisation needs to make money the way an organism needs to respirate; but respiration is not the point of living.

That, however, is only the introduction to the insight, not the insight itself. Here is the insight proper: The brand is merely a symbol -- a short form if you will -- for the mission the organisation stands for.

It follows from this that great missions create great brands. When an organisation glorifies its own brand instead of its mission, it is much deluded. Many fashion labels are about their brand. They stand for nothing else. This is a mistaken understanding of branding.

Most organisations exist because they solve a problem for customers. A good mission for most to adopt is to solve the problem more elegantly. It's a good idea to ignore the brand and focus on the mission. I say this even with fashion labels in mind.

• Like 1

I know Sinek, but I didn't know he's Mr Why. I quite agree with him that Why is fundamental. I actually have a clear why myself, but I never tell customers this. I can't even imagine writing it down. I met with Misfit in Perth, and we were talking about our respective businesses, and with Misfit, it is all about money. Misfit has trouble understanding my approach to business. I daren't tell Misfit the true reason I do my business.

Just now, while in the lift, I had one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I was in the lift with a Malay couple. As they got off a stop, a young Chinese woman came in. I caught a millisecond glimpse of her face. It gave me pause. She stood at a corner of the lift, facing my side. With each second of being in the lift with her, my terror grew. She has a very strong presence; a very concentrated and intense presence. A pure diabolical presence. I was desperate to be far, far away from her. My heart was beating hard, my hair on ends. I was terrified of her. All she was doing is standing in a corner, and I wasn't even looking at her, but gawd her presence was extremely threatening. I felt she was the sort who is totally unconscious of her own evil; the sort who would kill you in your sleep. Not because of anything you have done. She is just being her. It is not even mischief. The concept of a conscience or of guilt, of right and wrong is absent in her. The door of the lift started opening, but it opened so slowly. I was squirming to get out and to be away from her. I have never experienced anything like this before.

I find that Malaysians have a poor grasp of the concept of the weekend. They have only a vague idea what that means. In the years I have been telling people who ask via email or whatsapp that I see customers every weekend, a majority would then ask me: So you see customers on Saturday or Sunday?

If I see customers on Saturday, I will say, "I see customers on Saturday." But no, I said weekend.

The French and the Germans have a very clear idea of what a weekend is. In fact, "le week-end" is possibly the French people's favourite word. For the Germans, "das Wochendende" is the highlight of the week.

Weekend, to me, means Saturday and Sunday. When I say weekend, I really mean both days. But few Malaysians understand that. Nowadays, to avoid them asking me if I meant a Saturday or a SUnday, I eschew the word weekend completely and say "Saturday and Sunday".

On youtube videos of camera and lens reviews, it is obvious to me and to anyone who speaks German that the English language is lacking in a concept that German language speakers have. These primarily American reviewers would say things like "high quality plastics" or that a camera feels "well put together" or robust despite a plastic construction.

There is a German word -- the word is just a name for a concept -- that is widely used in the automotive industry in Germany that somehow has not found its way into English. That word is "Qualitaetsanmutung", or the impression of quality.

There is no longer any objective quality in mass manufactured goods today. Instead, what manufacturers optimise for is subjective quality. The impression of quality, without actually having to use quality materials or expensive craft labour.

When you watch German TV and come to a car review, the word Qualitaetsanmutung is used a lot. The reviewer will say that "the impression of quality" is high, or leaves much to be desired, etc. The Germans no longer use the word quality in respect to mass manufactured goods. Just the impression of it.

• Like 1

Regarding cars (and I'm generalising here), while the Europeans get "Qualitaetsanmutung" (but lack an English equivalent word), most Malaysians find this a difficult concept to grasp. The 3 main criterion in purchasing a car here is brand, looks and price. A BMW is expensive simply because its a BMW. Most Malaysians never mention nor understand the concept of "well-put-togetherness". "I like how the dashboard looks" is a more common phrase than "the interior aluminium trim is real aluminium". Soft-touch surfaces in more premium cars is almost never noticed. I believe you can extrapolate this attitude towards clothing, shoes, gadgets, etc.

On a related note, the unofficial Malay equivalent to Qualitaetsanmutung is "solid" (Malaynised English).

On youtube videos of camera and lens reviews, it is obvious to me and to anyone who speaks German that the English language is lacking in a concept that German language speakers have. These primarily American reviewers would say things like "high quality plastics" or that a camera feels "well put together" or robust despite a plastic construction.

There is a German word -- the word is just a name for a concept -- that is widely used in the automotive industry in Germany that somehow has not found its way into English. That word is "Qualitaetsanmutung", or the impression of quality.

There is no longer any objective quality in mass manufactured goods today. Instead, what manufacturers optimise for is subjective quality. The impression of quality, without actually having to use quality materials or expensive craft labour.

When you watch German TV and come to a car review, the word Qualitaetsanmutung is used a lot. The reviewer will say that "the impression of quality" is high, or leaves much to be desired, etc. The Germans no longer use the word quality in respect to mass manufactured goods. Just the impression of it.

I think the Japanese have got many words like that? Like ... wabi-sabi?

I know Sinek, but I didn't know he's Mr Why. I quite agree with him that Why is fundamental. I actually have a clear why myself, but I never tell customers this. I can't even imagine writing it down. I met with Misfit in Perth, and we were talking about our respective businesses, and with Misfit, it is all about money. Misfit has trouble understanding my approach to business. I daren't tell Misfit the true reason I do my business.

Just now, while in the lift, I had one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I was in the lift with a Malay couple. As they got off a stop, a young Chinese woman came in. I caught a millisecond glimpse of her face. It gave me pause. She stood at a corner of the lift, facing my side. With each second of being in the lift with her, my terror grew. She has a very strong presence; a very concentrated and intense presence. A pure diabolical presence. I was desperate to be far, far away from her. My heart was beating hard, my hair on ends. I was terrified of her. All she was doing is standing in a corner, and I wasn't even looking at her, but gawd her presence was extremely threatening. I felt she was the sort who is totally unconscious of her own evil; the sort who would kill you in your sleep. Not because of anything you have done. She is just being her. It is not even mischief. The concept of a conscience or of guilt, of right and wrong is absent in her. The door of the lift started opening, but it opened so slowly. I was squirming to get out and to be away from her. I have never experienced anything like this before.

The woman sounds scary. Was she staring at you? Gives me the impression that she had her headphones on, with hair that parts in the centre. And just stares - not into space, but seemingly at you.

IMG_8275.jpg?raw=1

Had coffee with riggy just now. He's an entrepreneur in several industries, but mostly cares about writing about cars and retiring to a nice place like Perth.

Cokiee, I would love to get to know the Japanese better beyond their AV media, but proximity to their product culture would entail working for a Japanese manufacturer, an endeavour I cannot undertake now. I would love to hear from people who have an insight into Japanese product culture.

I don't think she was staring at me. However, when two people are in a lift together, sometimes, that is all both can think about. There was just something very frightening about her.

• Like 1

I love going through photos from my grandfathers time. He was an architect, in most photos he is dressed in a full suit, along with other male family members. Cream coloured suits too.

Its probably the norm to dress up for picture time, but damn the suits look better than most things I see today. They look so... Solid.

Same with my maternal grandfather. Saw a picture of him with my grandmother when visiting my aunty's house in Perth, and he was in a very light coloured suit (beige, cream, ecru?). Can't tell the colour because it is a black and white photo.

It was a pleasure to have met up with you last weekend Kotmj.

Family photos were a big deal in those days. You have to dress up and head over to the photographers studio and get it taken and then it was a few days before you get to see it. So everyone wanted to look their best.

One can never have too many shoes......or cars...or watches...or houses...or...

motoring-malaysia.blogspot.com

and

amalaysianman.blogspot.com/

A few weeks ago, after the two by-elections, I made a comment on Tony Pua's Facebook. I said the opposition has no clue how to win an election. They stand for "I hate BN". But nobody wants to have "I hate BN" dudes running the country. That's not what they want to vote for. They want to vote for guys who they think will allow them to make more money in the future. That has always been BN's promise: With us, you prosper. I said the Opposition needs to promise more than BN. That should be the basis of their campaign.

They deleted my comment. Very telling, that. Dumb fucks who can't win an election to save their lives deleting sensible, non-hostile comments on their facebook.

• Like 1