Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Gloriously off-topic

The primary reason I got a dog was because I live surrounded by nature but I do not seem to ever go into it. I'm mostly in my apartment, working or surfing the internet. I was pale like any office worker, not even getting enough sun. I thought a dog would give me a reason to explore the surrounding areas, because of the need to exercise it.

It worked. I was out everyday with him. We played fetch at the golf course next to the apartment. We went for long walks at night. The dog also got me to get to know my neighbours -- they would remark to me about him, their children would pet him, they would tell me of dogs they once had.

My dog is also out with me to KL all the time. He would follow me up to see the coatmaker. He would wait for me at the side walk when I was up at the shirtmakers. He would meet other dogs we encounter, and I do nothing to discourage them from getting to know each other, even if it means we have to do more tick removal. I have no respect for those who keep their dogs tick free by avoiding walking on grass and avoiding all contact with other dogs.

None of this level of activity or of mental and social stimulation would be possible if I had to leash it. If I had to "walk" him on a leash, he would get no more than a 20 minute walk a day. Because "walking the dog" is a chore for me. And for so many others. This is insufficient exercise even for a human being, much less a dog.

The only way for a dog to get the activity it needs is for it to integrate itself with the owners life. It needs to follow the owner around, and the owner can't have a sedentary office life.

Basically, it worked really well, except Goldens were never evolved to avoid traffic. Street dogs are more savvy in this regard because those who weren't have all been eliminated from the gene pool. Goldens spend all their lives in the house compound, often chained for several hours a day, and walked 20 minutes a day at night. This is the reason there are old Goldens. But existing is not the same as living.

Let it be known that I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment punctuated in the last sentence of your post. I live (or at least, strive to) by that principle myself: live, not exist. Artificial prolonging at the expense of quality of life is a concept I find foolish. It matters not how long I live, but how I lived.

However, as with all things, balance and moderation is key. Contrary to what the aforementioned principle seemingly extols, I am not going to; for instance, start abusing drugs and die an addict, and claim it was worth it (not that I'd be able to, at that time) because I enjoyed it and thus lived fully. But I am not going to deprive myself from some pleasures in life that people seem to be so against, stupidly saying, "it's not good for your health!" just because I may die a year or two earlier than if I had forgone them. Like a cigarette (I'm not a smoker), or a really greasy burger from a street stall that I can feel clog my arteries.

Everyone is so afraid of mortality, of death, that they forget to really live. Everyone wants to live for a long time. Avoiding this food, or that activity, because it's "bad for health." When old age comes, I do not think lying in chronic, terminal illness in a hospice semi-conscious and all drugged up on morphine as living anymore. "I" am no longer alive. What makes me human is the component of my ego, and in such a state that component is largely gone. Then it really is just my body doing what it does to continue to exist. And I think it absolutely inhumane to keep a person alive in such a state.

Anyway, my rambling aside, goldens are inherently rather inquisitive. I imagine that to be one of the reasons as to why it got run over. As it is, though, it was a Darwinian-survival-of-the-fittest evolution scenario, no mistake about it. But it certainly could have done with a little bit of training -- and that, to me, is the moderation part of it all.

I just got off the phone with a breeder of Goldens. I'm writing these things because they document my experiences, and also because people actually read them.

His claim to fame is this dog, which was a Malaysian champion.

image.jpg

The header to his very sparse and undermaintained website is this:

header.png

Breeder: I have a female Golden available for sale now. She's about 2 years old. I'm bringing in new dogs, you see.

Me: How about puppies?

Breeder: Puppies will be around March next year. My friend who travels a lot found a great dog in Korea, and I have a friend in Indonesia with a dog. I'm gonna mate these later in the year. I let my friend pick the dogs I will mate because he travels a lot and this saves me so much money than if I were to travel to see the dogs myself. I save like a thousand ringgit you know.

Me: So I will have to come to Johor to see the female?

Breeder: Yes, that is best. Pictures are unreliable, you don't know what sort of dog you are getting. I'm very interested now in breeding toy poodles, what they call teacup poodles. They are a XX inches tall and weigh XX grams, *lots of info I didn't ask for* yada yada yada....

This is such a non-industrial model of producing dogs. Compare the way he does things to a volume producer of Goldens also in Johor.

"Hey, we are kennel which located in Johor that focus in breeding golden retriever puppies. Currently our farm owning more than 30female adult golden retriever for breeding. We earned 8years experience in golden retriever. We will provide golden retriever puppies monthly. Our golden puppies all are high quality puppies. The price is worth as the quality. We located at Johor and our farm is 1acres land providing for all the dogs for stay. We got four workers take care all the dogs we have. Included free delivery to KL."

Sorry to hear about your dog. Kind of gotten used to seeing his pics from time to time. I heard german shepherds are more temperamental, diet-wise. 

Sorry to hear about your dog. I too was shocked on reading that sentence which started the paragraph. I think GR's inherently trust other species, in this case, too much.

Especially so with the pure breeds; they've not had the chance to go through the natural selection process that has eliminated the ones that don't have a polished fight/flight reaction.

But I'm very very sorry to hear about the loss.

Sorry to hear about your dog. Kind of gotten used to seeing his pics from time to time. I heard german shepherds are more temperamental, diet-wise.

Yeah, they seem to suffer from all sorts of genetic problems. Many die from gastric torsion -- talk about lack of fitness for survival. Probably due to the small gene pool and prolific, careless breeding. I'm not looking at Shepherds anymore; I think the retrievers are still the more suitable breed for my purposes. The very look of a GSD is intimidating; Goldens look totally harmless and adorable.

I have figured out a way to train a dog to avoid traffic. Three electric collars around the neck at full battery charge. Everytime he wanders onto tarmac, I electrocute him.

Hi, my name is Max. I've got to say, it's a lot cooler living here than in Puchong! I'm 6 months old, and have spent most of my life in a small cage until kotmj came to take me with him. I'm a cross between a Golden Retriever and a Labrador Retriever -- kotmj thinks this gives me twice the genetic diversity of a purebred.

max2_zps57d09a25.jpg

Kotmj doesn't talk about it, but it's obvious he used to have another dog. His scent is everywhere. I don't know what it is with kotmj, but he keeps throwing this green ball and I can't help but chase after it and bring it back to him. He does it again and again, and I bring it back every time. I can't help it!

Anyways, I'm having a bad digestion problem right now, the food is suddenly different. As in fishy.

Alright got to go, catch up later.

• Like 1

This is how a dog looks when smiling. Max the Golden Lab. So handsome, he can be in a Purina commercial.

NewImage4_zps0c7426f7.jpg

• Like 1

For the first type in my life, i am using a smsrtphone. Mi3. What an incredible pain. Stupid device. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Stupider than ipad.

The smartphone is so stupid, its not even funny. People tell me their phones are very capable cameras. They don't need a dedicated camera. Especially the Mi3, they tell me. Very good built in camera, they tell me.

Well, first of all, the Mi3 is an even worse typing device than the iPad. And it is unusable as a camera. People who say the Mi3 is a good camera have never used a good camera before.

The conventional wisdom concerning phones are totally out of whack. These are pathetic devices.

My distinct lack of enthusiasm for smartphones all these years is justified.

Those who love pictures cannot possibly shoot with their phones. The pictures are terrible!!!!!

Terrible!!!!

AWful!!!

Pfuargh. I can't believe people think the Mi3 is a capable camera. It is shit. Can't believe I bought it. Disappointed.

Also, typing on it is currently the biggest pain in my life. Please don't whatsapp or text me. Email me.

Ha, I think the keyboards on Android OS devices are horrible, too. But I've always been an iPhone user, so what do I know?

P/S: I'm no Apple fan. I like the iOS because it's idiot-proof. That's it.

I once tried to make myself a shirt.

Failed miserably.

Then I realised that the pair of scissors was failing me big time.

Actually there is nothing intuitive about making shirts. Or operating in the world/society. It requires a long conditioning process.

There are intuitive things which require no conditioning like eating, walking, procreating...

How a dog looks like when smiling. Some breeds smile a lot more than others, but all dogs smile. Fujifilm X-M1 + XF 18-55.

max8_zps9e371878.jpg

I had the most curious experience with gmail last night and today. The three emails I sent simply disappeared. Vaporized. They were not part of the conversation; they were not in the Sent box. This is really bad.

Two more disappeared emails today. I wrote them, sent them, then... they disappear. As if I had never written or sent them. They were not saved as draft. They were not part of the conversation thread. They were not in the Sent box.

Also, both yesterday and today, two SMS' I sent to a customer simply vanished. They were not received.

When I had the iPad, I never could trust the alarm clock function on it. Same with the laptop. It sometimes would not ring. An alarm clock you cannot trust to ring is like having no alarm clock at all.

The problem with all these gadgets is that they are really almost like desktop computers. They are too complex to be reliable. They also allow/require you to install 2000 apps on the thing to get anything done, and these apps sometimes affect things they shouldn't.

My old Nokia (non smartphone) was truly reliable and indestructible. The alarm function worked everytime. If an SMS doesn't get through, I am notified immediately.

Oh I'm so scared.

I was curious about dogs in Singapore. They have a list of HDB-approved dogs.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10326p.nsf/w/PetBreedsAllowed?OpenDocument

No German Shepherds, Rottweilers, any of the retrievers. This should mean that ownership of large breed dogs should be more popular in Singapore, because when you walk it it signals to everyone you do not live in a HDB.

Neighbour's obese Lab. The neighbour has become friends with a chicken rice seller, who gives him a bagful of food scrap a day. It's such a big bagful that not even a Labrador can finish it in one session. I am falling in love with Fuji's colour rendering and the sweetness of the XF 27/2.8. No smartphone can take a picture like this. None.

neighbourslab2_zpsc7387e76.jpg