Sign in to follow this  
kotmj

Gloriously off-topic

After a long day whose last task was to see a customer in Bangsar, I drove home. Guess what I saw on the way?

A fucking enormous TAPIR. No, not joking; not hallucinating either. This huge creature, 3 meters off the side of the road, nuzzling a tree. It's almost the size of a horse. Right away, I realise tapirs must have one enormous problem: a total lack of camouflage. The white shield on the torso is so high contrast man, nothing in the jungle is like it. I'm surprised they've not been hunted to extinction, given how visible they are.

• Like 1

I've been walking my dog without a leash for several months now. A leash is no fun for the dog and exhausting for the owner, though my dog can be reminded to behaved well on a leash. It's just I prefer to walk unencumbered -- I even leave wallet and phone at home when I'm out walking. I bring nothing with me. Sometimes I bring a camera.

The problem with off leash walking is that my dog occasionally forgets there is such a thing as traffic. Since I live in a semi-rural area, there are not many cars, so it was relatively unproblematic. I also do not believe in shielding anybody or anything from natural forces -- this extends to the interns I once had and which my own boss found to be cruel of me. Buffering beings from natural forces is unnatural. If an intern simply shows no promise or talent for the work we do, they should know it. When I was a child, my tennis coach said to the bunch of us 3 weeks after we started learning tennis: "None of you will play competitive tennis." I found it a good idea to be frank like this. You have no idea the number of young people who think they are destined for greatness when they are so normal. They can't even do simple things.

The result of all this is that my dog was run over by a pick-up truck today and is dead. It happened about 3 hours ago. Interestingly for me, I feel quite equanimous about it. He lacked sufficient appreciation

for the lethality of 2 tons of metal travelling at 80 km/h. He really had no excuse: Roads are full of cars, cars are visible (it even had its headlamps on), a Hilux makes a lot of noise which he can hear, you can even feel the vibration it makes from the ground. But he ignored all these and went to the middle of the road. He was run over by the front wheel, then the rear wheel. He made distress noises in my direction (looking at me) and his hips were obviously damaged but he was still ambulant and ran to the side of the road into some tall grasses and lied there obscured by the grasses. I checked just now with a torchlight: I could see his head/face. The eyes were open and upturned. Quite dead.

That's where he should have been all along -- the side of the road, not in the middle. I keep having to call him to the side. "To the side!" I would say with the appropriate gesture, and he would come, but only temporarily.

There are many mongrels who live to be quite old successfully avoiding traffic. Not this Golden.

This Golden is such an affectionate dog. I loved him to bits. I often like to play with him on the floor, and I always envied him. It would be great, I thought, to be a dog like him. What a lifestyle. So carefree, so good natured, not a shred of aggression in him. We humans, OTOH, are violent, murderous apes. We do so much violence to ourselves, and also to others and everything around us. My Golden didn't.

I'm thinking maybe a German Shepherd next.

This series of posts would be hilarious if they weren't so sad. It's called training, kotmj. 

It's fucking called training Jeremy. 

Those ''mongrels'' were either conditioned or shown the way by other ''mongrels''. 

Think of it as such, a Queen gives birth to a prince. 1 year later the prince sticks a fork into a wall socket and electrocutes himself. The Queen reasons, it's so obvious one shouldn't do that. The prince lack sufficient appreciation for the lethality electricity and the fact that metal conducts same. He should have known that a fork is made a metal. 

There are so many peasants around and their children go on to become farmers. They become strong. Not this prince. 

I'm thinking maybe a princess next. 

We are classified as  fucking mammals for a reason. Besides growing fucking hair on our face, one of our prevalent characteristics is nurturing our young. Dogs are mammals. They need to be nurtured and trained. 

Goldens are so easy to train; if there is any fault, it's usually with the trainer. That's one thing you can't do besides buttonholes, or giving a damn. 

The Queen should not be allowed another child. As an animal lover, I feel the same.

Good luck Max, I wish you the very best as a replacement, for when you are gone, there will be no pining for you.

Only equanimity. 

Regards, 

EF Lau

• Like 1

There is obviously no similarity between voltage -- invisible, odourless, noiseless -- and a 3-ton Toyota Hilux heading squarely at you.

Why do people grieve for the dead? Why? This is a serious question. In some parts of northern Thailand, the people do not grieve for the dead. They have no concept of it.

When you realise that you are neither the body nor the mind, when you have glimpsed that that which is truly you cannot be destroyed, or raped, or tortured, then it is no longer possible to grieve. You miss someone, yes, but falling into grief is something only the unconscious would do as part of cultural conditioning. I saw my grandmother pass without grieving.

Know that you are a wave in the ocean. You are of the ocean; the ocean is in you. When the wave subsides and melds into the ocean, what has died?

The example was not stated as a comparison. You are missing a crucial point about training. Training and conditioning. Nurturing. 

Like you said, previously, that breed relies on smell. You live in a sparsely populated area. The dog could have been a complete novice in that situation.  

Emotion is not something you can quantify or measure. If you have to reason same, using logic to dictate so, we lose the very fabric that makes us human. 

I have seen many patients with Asperger. They lack empathy and basic social interactions. They are usually highly intelligent but often fail to develop lasting relationships, both platonic and romantically; and can become numbed by a history of failed social interactions. 

They mostly come across as insensitive but they usually just can't phantom social interactions. 

Regards, 

EF Lau

• Like 1

You are the one displaying all the Asperger traits on this forum.

Took along the camera today.

max17_zpscc49ebf3.jpg

This elevated ridge is a favourite place. Not for the view, but for the efficiency in giving Max a workout. I would throw something from here -- tennis ball, golf ball, Frisbee -- and due to the elevation it goes a further distance. Max, you see him as a small speck in the picture, would then rush down to retrieve it. After eight throws he's lost most of his pent-up energy. All I have to do is stand here and throw. No amount of walking on a leash can come close to such a workout.

max16_zps6b97f1b7.jpg

In the background you see the apartment unit we live in.

You are the one displaying all the Asperger traits on this forum.

Took along the camera today.

max17_zpscc49ebf3.jpg

This elevated ridge is a favourite place. Not for the view, but for the efficiency in giving Max a workout. I would throw something from here -- tennis ball, golf ball, Frisbee -- and due to the elevation it goes a further distance. Max, you see him as a small speck in the picture, would then rush down to retrieve it. After eight throws he's lost most of his pent-up energy. All I have to do is stand here and throw. No amount of walking on a leash can come close to such a workout.

max16_zps6b97f1b7.jpg

In the background you see the apartment unit we live in.

Sorry kotmj, it wasn't my place to insinuate that you have Asperger. 

A word of caution about dogs and golfballs, they don't really mix well. It will prove expensive if you have to purchase a new Golden every couple of months. 

That must be close to Selesa Hillhomes. 

Regards, 

EF Lau

• Like 1

Dogs are no superior as a life form to the chicken you ate for lunch. The whole concept of an animal lover is an illusion of the unexamined mind. Pure cultural conditioning.

Think of the vast boatloads of animals who were killed -- suffocated in the case of fishes, throats slit in the case of chickens, by bleeding dry in the case of cows and pigs -- so you may consume them.

Dogs are no superior as a life form to the chicken you ate for lunch. The whole concept of an animal lover is an illusion of the unexamined mind. Pure cultural conditioning.

Think of the vast boatloads of animals who were killed -- suffocated in the case of fishes, throats slit in the case of chickens, by bleeding dry in the case of cows and pigs -- so you may consume them.

Hey Jeremy, 

I completely agree Jeremy. Dogs are no way superior as a life form to a chicken or a cow. Neither are human beings as well. 

They are what they are, livestock. If they are reared for a reason, they better fucking complete that task. There are 19 billion chickens in the world, if not to be eaten, then for what? Just like dogs, some are reared to be eaten, some for companionship. 

We can only hope that those for companionship will be taken care of. Just as when we slaughter something, we can only hope that it's done humanely. I for one, don't buy from Ingham anymore. https://www.voiceless.org.au/content/inghams-horror-reignites-cctv-debate

There is nothing wrong about loving animals and consuming meat. It's not an exclusive relationship, neither is it an oxymoron. 

Regards, 

EF Lau. 

• Like 1

The utilitarian ethicist Peter Singer has thought about all these things for you already. But it's disingenuous to say because dogs and chickens have the same ontological weight, therefore it's fine to let a pet dog get crushed by a Hilux.

Peter Singer has been saying you shouldn't eat animals because they're sentient for decades. I expect more of a university professor. One message in 30 years is too little to justify his compensation. Also, nobody gives a fuck. Meat consumption is at an all-time high.

All it takes is one accident with your dog for you to lose your smug preacherliness about petcare.

I've been looking at hospice/palliative care on and off these past months. It's a great way to meet (relatively) large numbers of dying people who know they are dying. This is not a domain I know much about.

What would I discover there? We are so preoccupied with the striving portion of life, but are so ignorant about the exit from life. It would be interesting to enter this totally foreign domain.

Max would make a great service dog.

Of course time is a major constraint, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

Peter Singer has been saying you shouldn't eat animals because they're sentient for decades. I expect more of a university professor. One message in 30 years is too little to justify his compensation. Also, nobody gives a fuck. Meat consumption is at an all-time high.

All it takes is one accident with your dog for you to lose your smug preacherliness about petcare.

LOL

Preacherliness? 

I have this hunch that people only really live when they know they are dying. Until that point, they basically just execute the social code that was programmed into them, as well as worrying/planning/dreaming about the future they will make for themselves. When they have no more future, they start living in the present. It would be interesting to see how those who are terminally ill use their time/limited energy. They probably should have been living like that all along.

Another good example would be old people, who know, statistically speaking, that they will not be around in the next 10,15 years.  We are, after all, terminal.

Don't be presumptuous. What makes you think an accident – or multiple accidents – haven't already happened? 

Having nearly been killed recently, I can report that I'm conducting my affairs in largely the same way as before. 

Oh man, I should stop going on mudah to look at dogs for sale. There are right now German Mallinois puppies for sale. A cross between the German Shepherd and the Belgian Mallinois. Two of the most favourite shepherd breeds. I would much prefer such a cross over a purebred GSD because the GSD has become a genetic basketcase.

Related to this, it occurred to me that rabbits can be bought cheaply on mudah. RM25 per live rabbit. Maybe buy one, let go on golf course, and let Max work for his meal?

Oh man, I should stop going on mudah to look at dogs for sale. There are right now German Mallinois puppies for sale. A cross between the German Shepherd and the Belgian Mallinois. Two of the most favourite shepherd breeds. I would much prefer such a cross over a purebred GSD because the GSD has become a genetic basketcase.

Related to this, it occurred to me that rabbits can be bought cheaply on mudah. RM25 per live rabbit. Maybe buy one, let go on golf course, and let Max work for his meal?

Keep us updated! 

You are so entertaining! 

When I first read paragraph, I was like WTF this kotmj killed another dog. 

You do have the propensity to let that happen! 

All kinds of unusual, fundamentally perspective-changing things have been happening to me. This morning, I awoke with the recollection of having burst out in laughter twice in my dream. Until last night, I have never laughed in my dreams.